Thread: Poling a Canoe

Default Poling a Canoe

Does anyone do much poling while standing in a canoe. I have just started using this method to propel my canoe and really prefer in when traveling shallow rocky rivers. I have made my own poles from spruce. Does anyone else do much of this and have any tips or ideas on different styles of poles?

Its been a while, but we used to pole upstream a lot in smaller rivers. We would just cut a pole about 12 ft long, we usually used poplar (I was in Maine) because the smooth bark is easy on the hands.
    The hardest part of poling is finding your balance!

Default Poling

I got one out of Cabelars a few years back , [alumin pole with duck bill ] tried it in the back side of a large lake near Glenallen to get through about 2/3 miles of weeds, used it going in an about 1/2 way gave it up an used the outboard it worked a lot better for me , used one in up state Maine [wooden pole] on one of the rivers [1975] it works half way up there, as they use a side mount motor, [there side mount is one that is almost in the middle of the canoe ] an tip the canoe up on its side in shallow water an use the pole an go from hole to hole did it a couple of times, there a gain went back to my old way of using a motor an lift on the back of a squar end, [ if I have 6/7 inches I will make it]
    poles in marshes work fine, but if the water is moving,[rivers & small streams] it will catch the bow an turn it fast in any direction you don't want to go, 2 people one in the front an one in the back will work a lot better, one to direct the bow an one to push, there again a motor an lift will do the job an only take one person to do it, all an cut the weight down, good luck hope it works out for you [got long winded sorry ]
    SID

Default Back when I was young

in Minnesota I tried poling, it worked OK with a duckbill in the still water. On rocky bottoms it seems like it was always sticking or slipping. Either way I went back to paddles.
    I did think about using kayak paddles on the notion they wouldn't need to go as deep to grab enough water to make headway but never did try it as I recall.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Years ago, I poled hundreds of miles while harvesting wild rice in MN......but never in moving water but I know it's done by some......

Default poling

in Alaska most of the going up rivers [old days] was accomished by lining it up the side, using 2 ropes have seen photes but never tryed it

SID

Talking http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

I've done both poling and lining but I'd rather use a motor these days. I helped in a canoe camp once where we went UP the Tokotna river from McGrath to Takotna...and then back down. We lined pretty much all the way up. Lining is easy if you can teach 13 year olds how to do it.

You would pole in places where you can't line...where there is no walkable beach or bank.

I also have one of those duck-billed aluminium poles. It works good when you need it, but hopefully you can just use a motor. A pole is for when you motor breaks down, which is the reason I used it last year.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com