Thread: Which digital camera?

Default Which digital camera?

Hi, looking to get a little better digital camera for my annual alaska trip to replace my 100 dollar cheapo. Narrowed it down to these, what do you all think?

1. Canon SX100is
    2. Panasonic Lumix ZS1
    3. Sony DSC-H20
    4. Samsung HZ10W

Main use: point & shoot with some (limited I'm sure) video. I'm not a techno guy and will most likely not use the camera to it's full potential but want to take good pics of mostly outdoor scenery; fishing, glaciers, whatever.
    Trying to make a decision quickly as I leave for AK this Friday.

Thanks,
    Jim

My vote is for the Sony. The one you are looking at is far more advanced than the several Sony point and shoots I have had over the years, and they all took great pictures. I had looked at a similar model to the Sony you mention before diving into the world of DSLR's about 18 months back. Some of the more advanced point and shoots are really impressive. I am sure this applies to all on your list, but I am pretty fond of Sonys myself. Link below with some info on the camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

While I am not a normal PaS user - I can give you how Consumer reports rates those cameras.

For the scores... none ever reach 100% The top rated cameras bested a 79% while the worst was a 53.

Presuming the canon sx110 is close to the 100 - it is one of the CR best buys. Here are the details behind the 110: (scored a 69/100)
    9mp - 10oz weight - 3 out of 4 image quality (very good) - 2/4 first shot delay (good) - 3/4 next shot delay (very good) - 4/4 versatility - 200 max ISO with best quality - 4/4 dynamic range - 400 shots on battery

Lumix ZS1 - no info on that camera - but if it is similar to other lumix cameras (tz5 for example) it is right in ling with the other cameras with the exception of having a higher max iso with best quality.

Sony DSC-H20 is in testing - but here is how the older h10 fares: (scored a 71/100)
    8mp - 11oz weight - 3 out of 4 image quality (very good) - 3/4 first shot delay (very good) - 4/4 next shot delay - 3/4 versatility (very good) - 200 max ISO with best quality - 4/4 dynamic range - 310 shots on battery

Samsung hz10w (scored a 69/100)
    108mp - 8oz weight - 3 out of 4 image quality (very good) - 2/4 first shot delay (good) - 4/4 next shot delay - 3/4 versatility (very good) - 200 max ISO with best quality - 4/4 dynamic range - 270 shots on battery

Hope this helps out...sorry I can't give you any real advice besides what research has shown.

Default Thanks for the input guys...

I have one more addition; the Canon SX220is at 12 mp and 12x zoom. Thinking the zoom would be great? Cnet says one of the negatives of the Canon is that you cannot use the optical zoom during video recording; what do you guys think? Wish I would've started this quest a little sooner!
    Jim

I can't say enough good about my Cannon PowerShot S3. Get one on E-Bay for about 150 dollars and it takes great pictures and shoots great video. The zoom works during the video.

I picked up a second one as a stand by. I have hauled mine around hunting, backpacking, fishing, vacationing, everywhere. Most importantly I never have the patience to read the instructions.....put it on auto, point and shoot, 12 X zoom, easy to use, great camera.

Pretty much everything on our website has been shot with one camera.

Perhaps the best site for comparing cameras is preview.com. They have a Side-by-Side comparison feature here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

I find that Canon and Panasonic are often rated as the top two manufacturers in a lot of the camera types that I've been interested in over the past few years. (We're talking about real camera guys dong the ratings here, not your typical consumer raters.) I usually end up buying a Panasonic because the prices are better than Canons of similar features. The last one I bought was a TZ5. Great little camera with another amazing Panasonic lens.

Default Okay,

So what camera would you guys get for under 350.00, in addition to those mentioned already? How come you cannot get a camera in this range with a decent flash, optical zoom in video mode, and a 12x zoom, and record in HD? SX200 doesn't zoom in video mode (kinda crazy IMO) and the pop up flash sucks (seemingly), the ZS1 doesn't record in HD and the batteries are expensive if you want an extra,
    What would you guys do? Sony sounds good but lacks 12x.
    Jim

You can buy batteries for the ZS1 on eBay for $15 each, shipping included. It's still new though, so if you wait a few more months the price should drop.

Have you read this shoot out of compact super zoom cameras? http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/ Lot of info in there. Their conclusion was the Panasonic ZS1 and ZS3 were the overall winners. The Sony H20 lost out due to the lack of a wide end to it's zoom. Most people find, that within reason, a wider lens is more useful than a longer lens.

Default Go Canon! The SX10 that is!

Big Jim,

I gotta' throw my two cents in the ring! I have had a Canon S2 IS for years. Though it is "old" by today's standards, it still shoots great photos and video. However the S3 IS, the S5 IS, and more have replaced it. Today I am playing with the SX10 IS, and it's a gem! It has a 20 power optical zoom, 10 mp, and video. I find the Power Shots to be great value. You might do well to have a look at the SX10 IS; I'm happy I did. Whatever you buy, use it! I see too many cameras collecting dust.

Take care,

Tracey

Default Thanks to all...

for your opinions/advice. Did take a peak at the sx10, wow 20x zoom!
    Any opionions out there on other makes in the range we're looking at: Nikon, Olympus, Casio?
    Thanks again, Jim

Default Panasonic ZS1

Is now my new ride, thanks to all for the help!

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

You cannot go wrong with that camera you chose !! I have had mine for 4 years now and I just love this camera. I love the incredible sharpness and brilliant saturated colors.

PANASONIC - Popular Photography's CAMERA OF THE YEAR !!