Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenai river reports

Default Kenai river reports

How did you do? I'm planning to go thursday.

Default Commercial Day

As you probably know, Thursday is a commercial fishing opener, so it's a good day to travel and get set up and stake your claim on the best spot, but it may be a tad slow.

Traditionally, this is the best time of the season to be there, but I may just be nabbing a camping spot and dinking around until after the commercial boats come in.

~tr

Source for chart:
    http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Sonar/kenaisock.html

Default Dippin Report

Went out yesterday (7/12/09) from @ 3pm until @ 6pm got 28 fish. A lot of big reds a few small ones And even a couple of small kings.
    Had 2 people dipping (me and my mom) and 1 boat driver (dad).
    We were using mikes nets 4' hoop with 6' handles. First two hours were good then the last hour it sucked with no fish at all except a few starry flounders.
    Just my opinion but this scenario seems to work the best. one person just contrates on driving the boat and not dipping.Too many boats and Crazy boat drivers out there to worry about.Especially when the fish are hitting hard and fast you need a good driver to be safe.
    Outfished everyone around us mostly due to dads skill running the boat. When the tide changed everyone around us was left standing still while we powered into them and still caught fish.Went around several boats and caught fish and turned a few heads.
    You need to keep some forward motion to the boat at all times sitting still produces few fish!
    I think if you are powering into the fish they hit the net before they know what hit them and then it is too late. Not real fast but 2-2.5 mph was good with the incoming tide.Was probably a little faster on the outgoing portion of the tide with the tides help.Some others said they got 20-22 fish in the same time or a little more time dipping.
    Not hot but not bad. Should be picking up soon next weekend should be hot.
    Talked to one shore dipper today she said they got @6-7 in three hours yesterday but who knows what kind of nets or experience they had.
    Get out there and get your fish guys and good luck.I go back to the slope tomorrow so keep us all posted on how your doing.
    CHRIS
    P.S. whats with all the crazy drivers out on the river? I see this every year so I shouldn't be suprised but man there were a few maniacs out there. Even one with a guide boat. I guess on the river they just don't feel the need to look before turning or to pay attention to whats going on around them. Be Careful out there and watch out for yourself.

Talking Kenai Keeper Report

Friday's opener did not yield a lot of fish, between the three of us we had around 80. Saturday we drove back to Anch and processed and headed back to Kenai @ 4am. We dipped from 8 am to 6pm and brought in just over 50; 130 fish in collectively two days of shore dipping - we did OK. The front of the bulge is starting to migrate into the river and this should be a very interesting year for escapement with the weather we're having. We have had such a long streak of S and SW winds that the fish that normally get blown into the middle of the inlet are swimming in closer to shore and just shooting up in spurts; a normal year has fish creating a bulge towards the middle of the inlet and then dispursing with a good blow into the beaches... this is going to be a defiant year for predictions/forecastings. (But I'm gonna give it a whirl anyway).
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Robb,

Glad you got a good haul and appreciate your detailed reports. Drove to ANC to dump fish and back again? Wow, that's hard core.

Chris,

Thanks too. I don't have a boat (yet) but do appreciate the tips.

Outgoing tide thru the late morning and early afternoon with a SW wind of 15 knots developing at the same time.

Drawn by the outgoing tide and pushed by the wind, the plume of outgoing Kenai and Kasilof water will be tight to the beach. Should suck the fish right in. I'd expect good numbers of reds to commit to the beach and on up the rivers by mid-day.

Could be an epic Super Tueday.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Did the opener from boat and got 15 fish...........Was a long day. Did manage to get a couple of kings too. Saturday got us 70 real quick and Sunday another 30 in 45 minutes. The numbers weren't the best but it was sure nice with minimal boat traffic!! I always hated the mass numbers of boats that can clog that river real quick. I've never done the opener before, but this was the only time I could get off. With how empty the river was, I might just keep on doing the opener.

Default 7/15 all day dipping.

Fished all day on the south side from shore....only made it home with 15....but what a beautiful day for the family to be together and enjoying it.

Brother-in-law got 44 from the boat from about 4 o'clock on.

We even got a small dolly? Is that typical???
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Thumbs up Kenai Report

I'm still stuck working in Anchorage until Friday night, but the wife said there's a lot of people and they are catching fairly well! Tons of cars trucks and motor homes, and fishing is shoulder to shoulder. Sounds like a helluva weekend coming up! I'm going to live on the river from the time I get home until late Sunday night (cept when it's closed, of course, ADF&G).
    I'm going to try to get out of the office a little early on Friday, so if you Anchorage and Valley folks could wait to leave until after 4pm that would be a big help!

Thanks,
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Sitrep kenai beach dippin

I hooked up with Claude (DanaliHunter) and arraigned for my son the "Sockeye Sherpa" and me to spend Tuesday night at his place (B&B) right next to the beach access. We drove down in time to catch the afternoon incoming tide and fish the south shore. I was a bit taken a back by the $15 access fee but was pleasantly surprised by the number of sani-cans and cleanliness of the beach. Driving down the beach in my F350 was not the smartest thing I ever did, sand was soft and deeply rutted, but I made it both in and out. Only picked up 9 fish durring the tide and left a little early to clean the fish back at Claude's place.

Spending hours in the water looking at the other side of the bay I liked the look of the North side and decided that we would recenoiter it after processing the nights catch. So smelling like roses we went into town grabbed a burger and found the road down to the beach. I liked the access much better and we decided that we would try our luck on in the morning.

Up at 5AM to hot coffee, pancakes, sausage, and OJ ... great food and plenty of it! THANK YOU! Hit the beach at 6 sharp and slept on my net as the tide came in, very slow. I had 4 in the box as the tide went slack and the Great Spirit turned on the the fish ... I went from my pitifull 4 to a cooler crammed with 21 fat reds in about 90 mins. But the beach went from empty to shoulder to shoulder in the same period.

I had a great time and got some freezer filled! Claude has a nice place down there if you are looking for a comfortable bed, and his bride took great care of us!

Cheers,
    Rich
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Congress must use a different version that does.

I was down there yesterday too. Started at 6am at the south shore. 2 fish in ten minutes, 4 1/2 hours to catch two more. After the tide turned and started going out, both the fish and the crowds ratcheted up considerably.

Ended up with 24 (what I wanted) by about 3pm. As I drove home to Anchortown, I lost count of the number of vehicles heading south with dipnets.

Default 50K Kenai Count

Yesterday's sonar count was 50,442.

~tr

Default WOW

I was planning on spending three days dipnetting from shore on the Kenai this week, just taking it easy. Well, it didn't work out that way. A friend came along and brough HIS friend who has a boat! It was my first time dipnetting from a boat.

We netted 110 fish between the three of us.

I just returned home about an hour ago, exhausted, burnt, and totally happy with putting most of our fish supply in the freezer in one day. Now for those halibut...

Here is a pic of the Shanta fire over near Funny River, and here's Troy with a freshly-minted sockeye. We speculated that some of these fish had been in freshwater for probably less than an hour.

Best of luck to all the dipnetters heading down for the weekend. I would expect huge crowds and ice shortages! Bring plenty of ice!

Take care, everyone, and have a blast down there.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Ice tip

I bring a small chest freezer that can run on a 1K generator or a 1K inverter.

The freezer is only used to refreeze water jugs. Freeze your jugs now, and have enough for all your coolers plus more to swap out as the cooler jugs thaw. I've probably got 12-15 jugs in the freezer.

Found out this year at the Copper that the unplugged freezer does a better job of keeping the jugs frozen than the coolers.

~tr

I went to north beach on kenai Jul 15 at high tide. It was slow at first but after about an hour into dipnetting, it got really hot. Triple and doubles were common sight. I pulled in about 40 reds and couple pinks.

Default Hot dippin' on the Kenai

Fishing is hot down there. Jen says folks are everywhere, and it's a big party going on! Life is good in the summer in Alaska! Anyhow, did everyone see the fish count yesterday? 50,000 up the river!! This is going to be one helluva weekend. Still have two rooms left, (a bunk bed and a queen bed) but no RV spots! Save gas, drive your car! Get a hot breakfast! It'll be cheaper.

Good Luck!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Smile Note to boaters

Just a heads up. The last couple times I dipped this week there has been a city worker in a yellow/orange vest at the city dock being a traffic controller, more or less.

The way it worked: people launching in the left lane, people pulling boats in the right lane. I did NOT see this posted anywhere, it may have been but i didnt see it. If you are pulling a boat out get in the right lane, when you are the next in line, get out of your truck and work out a guick game plan with the "traffic controller". A short, polite and respectful conversation with him, and you will be out of the water in no time. (if you do your part and don't dink around on the ramp; dont worry, people wont laugh at you for putting your tailgate down so you can watch your trailer while you are backing down the ramp if it means them getting out sooner - haha) Please do all of your messing around in your boat in the parking lot and not on the ramp. .....oh and be carefull launching/pulling at low tide, lots of grey clay and the bottom of the ramp.

It may be a good idea, before you even get to the parking lot, to discuss what each persons job is on the boat. Wednesday was busy enough at one point we were 5 boats wide dip'n and it isnt the weekend or peek run yet. It would only take one boat not paying attention for a second to cause lots of problems.

I hope everyone gets the fish they need and can enjoy the experience of doing it safely.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Fishing is hot down there. Jen says folks are everywhere, and it's a big party going on! Life is good in the summer in Alaska! Anyhow, did everyone see the fish count yesterday? 50,000 up the river!! This is going to be one helluva weekend. Still have two rooms left, (a bunk bed and a queen bed) but no RV spots! Save gas, drive your car! Get a hot breakfast! It'll be cheaper.

Good Luck!

Claude
    I just booked an RV spot with your wife for the following weekend...I'm stuck on the Slope until then. Sounds like it'll be a nice respite from the beach when/if we get a break from all the dipping! I CAN'T WAIT! Hope those big numbers continue as they have historically.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post

Good Luck!

Claude
    While we all appreciate your reports, I would like, on behalf of those of us stuck at work, to ask that you tell us all that fishing sucks and we aren't missing out on anything.

I'll be there Sunday or Monday. Woohoooo! Hopefully some of the fish will wait for me. Claude, how far of a walk from your place is it the fishing? We don't have a 4x4 to get out on the beach but I'd really prefer to fish the south side. Are there any enterprising youths with 4-wheelers offering rides from the parking area or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    While we all appreciate your reports, I would like, on behalf of those of us stuck at work, to ask that you tell us all that fishing sucks and we aren't missing out on anything.

Yes, Scott, everybody on here is lying, nobody is catching anything but pinks right now, and those big pushes of fish on the ADFG website are really nothing more than a conspiracy by the State and the folks on the Peninsula to attract gullible fisherman and separate them from the money. How's that????
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast