Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHY

Default WHY

Why do people put in for tags in areas they have never hunted and have no idea how to even access an area? I dont get it you should do some research before putting in for the tag if you want to hunt a specific area or you are just taking away from other people that actually do hunt those areas. Just my 2cents though.

A good question and one that we discuss the week after every single draw cycle <grin>. There are a lot of reasons to put in for an area you have never hunted, a good one is to have a reason to go and try out a new area. There a plenty of areas that would be a total waste of time to explore without a tag, and a 3&#37; chance of maybe winning one isn't exactly a great reason to explore the Kenai mountains or the Minto Flats. Not when I could be out looking for my next harvest moose honey hole. That said I have a general idea of possible routes of access before I put in for a tag. I will likely ask questions both here and from other sources to fine tune my plan and hopefully improve my odds of success.

Default Tags

Come on brother..you know that is half the fun why do you think we have this forum...exactly.

Makes sense lujon. But you can tell some people do absolutely no research cause they got the tag and know have no idea how to get to the are they drew for. If you need a boat to get there and dont have one or means of getting then why put in just makes no sense. guess everyone has there reasons though so happy hunting if they make it there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Come on brother..you know that is half the fun why do you think we have this forum...exactly.

oh sure it is.... half the fun of countng the "WHEN will they come out threads... "

the other half the fun is conting the i have it... but dont knw where it is theads...

details should be discussed in the PMs, rathern then posting accesss to the entire world to see.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Going in blind folded

No harm for those who want to ask a question or two before gong into a big hunt . The time frame between drawing a tag and then asking questions is rather short planning ( but can be done ) . Some people like to wait till the last minute ( ? ) .

Not me . . . i tend to forget things when hurried .

I routinely put in for areas that I have never hunted. I usually spend a good deal of time on google prior to putting in for a said tag. Then I'll either just bite the bullet and go or do some scouting prior to going.

For example my dad drew a Kenai Mnts goat tag and my wife drew a Kenai Mnts 'bou tag. We've never hunted either before in the Kenai Mnts before. I'm going down Tuesday/Wednesday to do a bit of scouting of each area. Just a good excuse to get out and hiike in areas I've never really explored being from the interior.

Also I drew a Kodiak goat tag.....never even set foot on the rock before, but its just as much an excuse to get a chance to spend some time in a part of Alaska that I've heard so much about and figure some things out on my own as it is about actually harvesting a goat.

Sure I appreciate any info I can get my hands on, but the most valuable is just actually getting out there. Granted that takes time, but I know that prior to applying for these tags and I have been blessed with lots of time for scouting/hunting. I just hope that folks that don't get any info on the tags they drew don't completely write the hunt off due to the fact that they didn't get any easy info and weren't willing to put in some time and energy of their own to find out where and what works for a given area/tag.

Good luck to those who drew tags.

Default When are the ANTI's going to figure out

that for the cost of a tag they can "save" an animal? Apply for the tag and pay for it and never have any intention of hunting. When that starts happening it will really mess up the draws.

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    that for the cost of a tag they can "save" an animal? Apply for the tag and pay for it and never have any intention of hunting. When that starts happening it will really mess up the draws.
    They have and do. The biggest thing is that we have a limited draw system so they can only buy 3 chances and you have to have a license. That makes it fairly expensive to only get 3 chances to "save" an animal.

Default Too late

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    A bit too late there. Some already do that and have been for years.

As for the original topic, I agree. It's one thing to apply for one in an area you have the intention to explore if you get the tag or have reasonable methods of access to, but another thing when people apply for the hunts that are very limited access or require other commitments that most can't reasonably attain.

I do apply for hunts I have never done before, but only after researching enough to know that I will have a means to hunt it if I get the tag. This doesn't mean I have to have been there in all cases, but at least look at the area and have some kind of game plan (no pun intended).

The best part is that the tactic really doesn't work. If the F&G give out a certain number of tags in an area, and that area continuously doesn't have enough animals killed, they increase the number of tags. Look at Zachar Bay goats...they doubled the number of tags a couple years ago and it looks like it's going to open registration next year.

Back to the original post. I routinely put in for tags in areas I've never been to. I do my research after I get draw and figure it out from there. To me that's half the fun of getting drawn. Besides, it's easier to convince the wife that you HAVE to go because you drew a rare tag. Unfortunately my wife is smart and I was limited to road system tags this year. I did get drawn, so I am happy.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I agree with everyone. dont get me wrong i also apply for tags in areas i have never been but i first make sure its an area that i will be able to access and have means to hunt that area prior to applying. you can always do more research but some is needed prior to making sure its a feasible hunt for you.

I never been to Delta Junction but I drew an any-bull tag up there. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by milpol78 View Post
    Why do people put in for tags in areas they have never hunted and have no idea how to even access an area? I dont get it you should do some research before putting in for the tag if you want to hunt a specific area or you are just taking away from other people that actually do hunt those areas. Just my 2cents though.
    Many areas there is no way to hunt them but get a permit. The only way to hunt the Kenai wildlife refuge for Caribou is to win a permit then figure it out. I'm learning about Terror bay and Uganik Island as we speak.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I don't see any problem with putting in for an area you have never hunted. Some people just don't want to take the time that it takes to hunt certain areas unless they draw for it. As others have said, it's also a good way to get out and see some areas.

Not having any means at all to hunt that area, I completely agree. That would just be wasting a tag. But using your example of a boat, what happens if they just didn't want to confirm using a friends boat until they knew they drew it? Some of these hunts also have a long period between the draw and when the actual hunt it. For a lot of them, the details can be worked out then.

Any reasonable hunter isn't going to pay the fee and put in for a tag if they know they aren't going to hunt it (at least I would hope they wouldn't).

Default Very well said

AK Hunter hit the nail on the head with that last statement.

I drew a spring bear hunt on Kodiak and have 9 months to prepare for this hunt, to make it as successful as I can. Half the fun is planning the hunt and the hunt itself. If I get lucky...so be it..that is the icing on the cake..it not..then I know I had one hell of a good time doing so.

Never been to Kodiak, Sitting in Afghanistan right now and utilizing every resource I can to accommodate this hunt. Itís not easy, but this forum and its members have always been helpful to everyone. Keep it up!

I would like to think everyone that applies for a hunt does intend to go on it..otherwise they are taking away from others...that being said..there is always those unfortunate incidents that prevent some from going.

I did notice for the tag I got this year In 2008 out of 15 tags..10 did not hunt... dont know why...

DH

Default You would think, but...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_hunter7616 View Post

Any reasonable hunter isn't going to pay the fee and put in for a tag if they know they aren't going to hunt it (at least I would hope they wouldn't).
    Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. It isn't all that uncommon for people to purchase lake front cabins in Alaska only to find out you can't drive to it so they end up selling it having never been there. Common sense isn't all that common any more.

I have often wondered how many people apply for tags and have no idea how to get into an area before hand and then find out they can not get in there due to cost limitations or not owning the correct vehicle or having a friend with said vehicle.

My financial situation has caused me to not apply for certain tags at times as has my job. I try to only apply for tags that I know I will be able to utilize that way other people that would use the tag have a better chance at being drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have often wondered how many people apply for tags and have no idea how to get into an area before hand and then find out they can not get in there due to cost limitations or not owning the correct vehicle or having a friend with said vehicle.

My financial situation has caused me to not apply for certain tags at times as has my job. I try to only apply for tags that I know I will be able to utilize that way other people that would use the tag have a better chance at being drawn.
    Then there is the opposite side of the coin, I didn't put in for any spring tags cause I thought I was going to miss the season, now it looks like I will be home in Sept and I didn't put in for a thing!

Default exactly

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post

My sentiments exactly. Either it costs too much to get there, logistics are screwed up, or just can't take the amount of time off needed for that time of year. Pretty much the reason I haven't put in for Kodiak brown bear. 3 more years!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast