Thread: Looking for a New Bow

Default Looking for a New Bow

A buddy of mine is looking into buying a new bow and is interested in the Bowtech Sniper. Anybody shot this bow before? Anybody have a personal recommendation for this bow or any other boy for that matter?

tell him to search for junk no longer . go and buy a HOYT.

AkDiamond,
    If you are able to, go to a pro shop and shoot a couple bows. Based upon your message referencing the BT Sniper, it appears that you are willing part with some $. As such, you will have more options.

There are lots of good bows out there. I have a BT Guardian, it is my first bow and I have no regrets. I didn't go shoot different bows to make up my mind. I did lots of research on the internet and I made my decision based upon that.

Default Not for me

Hey BigDaddy....thanks for the input but this thread really was posted for a buddy of mine. I'm shooting a BT Diamond Justice and I'm quite comfortable with it. My friend however has never shot a bow in his life but is VERY interested in bowhunting so I've kinda taken him under my wing for the time being. We are deployed right now so he can't just go out and shoot a bunch of different bows for another couple months so I am helping him with research. Teaching as much as I can about the mechanics of the bow itself as best I can through pictures, giving him brand names to compare against eachother....things like that. What we were actaully trying to accomplish with this thread is hearing what people have to say about their own personal bows their personal experainces with that particular bow. Manufactorers have a tendance to hype up their own bows with a bunch of big high tech words and phrases all claiming that no other bows are as good as thiers are, making it nearly impossible for a couple guys with no access to a bow shop to make a justifiable comparison of our own. That's where you guys come in. Lets us know your opinions, that way when I take him bow shopping after we get home he can have 5-6 different bows in mind that he wants to try on for size.

I don't know of BowTech still has its military offer. I don't recall exact details, but it seemed has to ship to a APO address, and it also seems it was a $500 deal to get shooting.

On my BT, I paid about 650 for the bow, and another 400 +/- to.

I will dig into this, and see if I can find it, I will PMP you.

Default Here is the link, Bowtech Military offer.

https://www.bowtecharchery.com/military_discount.php

There is a Bowtech Military Offer thread in this forum.

Anyway, good luck to your buddy. Bowtech does make good stuff, and this offer makes it relatively inexpensive to get started.

I don't know if other manufacturers have similar offers, but might be worth it to do some research.

Default thanks

Thanks for the info....he is checking it out now. Seems pretty excited about it so again thank you. Anyone else have some input it's welcome. Take care and good luck to all you bou hunter this season.

Default For What it is worth...

When you get to a certain $$$ point, all manufacturer's make a very good bow. I went with the Kodiak. Main reason for me was how it felt when shooting. I did try numerous different bows...but at the end of the day, it came down to how it felt and released when I shot it. Your buddy could drop a grand on a super duper hi-tech bell and whistle bow, but if he doesn't like how it feels when he shoots it....or if it just doesn't feel 'right'...that will affect his accuracy (the whole mental aspect). I know it must be driving him crazy being there and wanting to get a bow; but it will be money well saved to try to wait until he can test shoot different bows before buying.
    Just my two pennies worth....

Default just in case

your buddy wants to look at the kodiak, here is their website and contact info...

http://www.kodiak-outdoors.com/pages/titan.html#

They may also offer a military discount. Here is contact info to find out...

sales@kodiak-outdoors.com

Default Thanks

Yeah he doesn't have any intension to buy one before he can shoot it. He just wants to have a few ideas in mind of 4 or 5 that he is interested in that way he isn't going into a shop blind. I've known too many people that made that mistake and were talking into spending WAY more money than they needed to because they didn't have any clue about what kind of bow they were looking for.

Default think used bows

I've talked with several knowledgeable people that sell bows about current models. We compare them with our older bows (8 to 10 years), and really, for the money, some of the new bows don't make sense.
    My old Hoyt Pro Force Extreme just celebrated its 20th birthday give or take. That old bow, while slower and a bit heavier than new models, will still shoot "X" on the target and will shoot through moose broadside. My newer Hoyt Havoc, (about 32" axle/axle) is lighter than my older Hoyt. There seems to be less vibration on the shot, and it is quieter. I paid a lot of money at the time for it, and it kills no better than the older bow. I just shot the Havoc through a chronograph (did not weigh the arrow) and the speeds were around 235fps. The draw weight was set at 58lbs and my draw length is 28".
    Most newer bows are not much better than that, especially given shorter than 30" draw lengths, and heavy arrows.
    A buddy that works at a bow shop said a customer came in with a new super duper bow that is advertised to shoot 350fps. They tested it in the shop and it never came close to that, in fact it was somewhere in the 260fps range if I recall exactly.
    My suggestion is to help you friend find a used set up, fairly current, at a substantially reduced price. Help get it set up to fit him like a glove. Then teach him good form right from the start. The more he enjoys it, the more apt he is to shoot, and the better he will get. If in time he really likes archery, then he could look at all the bells, whistles, and glitter on the racks and select something new.

Definitely shoot the bow before you buy, I was sold on the General due to how quiet it was compared to Brand X, I also really like that it has zero handshock. I knew going in it wasn't the fastest, but it puts my hunting shafts right where I want them time after time.

Smile accuracy kills

The advertised speed is often misleading, and doesn't guarentee a good flying arrow. The IBO speed is based on a certain draw weight, draw length and arrow weight. I don't recall exact numbers but it think it is 70lb, 30" and 350 grain arrow.

With those numbers, I have a hard time believing that you will get a 350 grain arrow that has the correct spine to have consistent flight.

I think the IBO on my Guardian is about 325 fps. With a 400 grain arrow (100 gr. tip), I got 290 on the chrono. With 125 grain tips, it was 270.

If I went to an 85 grain tip, I may be able beat my chest to say I broke 300 fps. However, my CX Maxima Hunter 350's, 100 grain tips, and FOB's fly consistently and hit where I aim.