Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: head lamps

Default head lamps

I am looking to replace my headlamp and need to find one that is waterproof. I have looked at Petzle and Princeton brands but am not sure which is better. Does anyone have any info/advice regarding the dependablity/waterproofness of these lamps. I am doing a goat hunt this fall and it will be WET one. I need one that has a flood and a beam of light. Thanks.

I use a Petzl Tactikka and LOVE it. i dont know if its actually "waterproof", but ive used that thing for years now in every condition you can think of. it was actually pouring tonight while i was workin on a helicopter and it never missed a beat. ive soaked it a few times throughout the years and its never let me down. its a BRIGHT spot of light and comes with the flood covers. blue, green, red and white i think... hope that helps a bit bro!

I use a Princeton Tec Apex. It uses O ring seals in the battery and lightbox sections for waterproofing. It has a 1 and 3 watt LED spot, and also a bank of standard adjustible power high intensity LEDs for flood lighting. It comes in several different battery options; 4 AA's on the headband, 8 AA's in a removable pack, or a lithium Ion rechargeable. It's not cheap, but it is very bright and the batteries seem to last forever.

Go to www.cammor.com and REI and look at the Petzl and Black Diamond head lamps. Both are very high quality. Read over the models and pick one that suits your needs. Many to choose from. LED last longer and great for camp chores, etc.. but they are not as good for distance lighting. All are fairly weather resistant, but perhaps reading over the models will reveal one that more specifically suits your needs. For camp chores and such, you just can't beat the Petzl e-lite. Tiny thing and the batteries last forever.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Not sure where you are located...

but i have found better gear in the way of head lamps at the feed stores rather then the out door stores..

the Musher's have a great line marketed to them....

here in Fairbanks i go to Cold spot feeds and those have proved indestructible to me.. i build with them well into the winter. run my chainsaw to them... ect... for a great light... check them out... Petzel is only one brand i have from there but there are several.

best yet though... you can try them on... Fit to me is a LOT...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm not sure about the relative waterproofing of the two brands, but you can stop in at Barney's to look both brands over and test them out.

Brett

Little warning about petzl head lamps. Last season I purchased a petzl myolite because it had a zenon bulb and led's. The zenon bulb was horrible....it was a dull yellow beam that had no distance. The led's were actually brighter. After one season with this head lamp the connections became coroded and the brightness of the headlamp was further worse. When i disassembled the headlamp.....i discovered how cheesy the thing was put together when compared to the price i paid for this headlamp. Even though petzl has the name........it means nothing to me after witnessing this inferior designed headlamp that I paid sixty dollars for. I will never dish out the cash for a petzl again. Black Diamond is quite the company. I just read an article about the company and their hard core field testing crew........they lead the way IMO

One more thing........the connections weren't even soldered........only paper thin "clips" bit the wires.
    Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07-14-2009 at 06:06. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Browningguy9 View Post
    I use a Petzl Tactikka and LOVE it. i dont know if its actually "waterproof", but ive used that thing for years now in every condition you can think of. it was actually pouring tonight while i was workin on a helicopter and it never missed a beat. ive soaked it a few times throughout the years and its never let me down. its a BRIGHT spot of light and comes with the flood covers. blue, green, red and white i think... hope that helps a bit bro!
    +1 for Petzl. I don't know if mine is "waterproof" but I have had it in wind driven rain, drizzle, float trips, snow, sub zero, and more and it has never failed me. After 2 years of use I had to replace the batteries. It is always in my pack and worth every cent.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default get a black diamond

I've used many petzl's over the years for trapping, but the black diamond is much brighter for me.

I've tried most of them. The Princeton Tec EOS is the best in my opinion.

Another vote for Princeton Tec. The Quad is a really decent headlanp for only 35 bucks.
    The Apex is an awesome headlamp, but a bit heavy. But if you need to light up the world, this one will do it.

I have been using Petzles and Black Diamond headlamps for over 6 years now and am very happy with both brands. The Petzles I have used were not truly waterproof but I never had an issue with them in the rain or around salt water. My Black Diamond is completely waterproof but is a little bulkier. The Petzles come with a lifetime warranty and I had a housing break while in Iraq a couple of years ago, emailed them and they sent me a new housing free of charge so I can't complain. Also had a friend that dropped his Petzle into a fuel trucks tank waited till the tank was empty and managed to fish it out. After washing it off and letting it air out and a fresh set of batteries it worked like a charm.

THanks for the help guys.

another vote for the Ptec Apex...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Switched over to a Black Diamond Icon a couple of years ago and could not be happier.
    Tennessee

Pelican make good lights my buddy had on we lost in a creek in september back on a moose hunt 3-4 years ago and the next year walking in we saw it at the botom of the creek could not believe we found it and was even more amazed when I put new batteries in it and it worked the whole trip and still works today!

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEAK49 View Post
    Pelican make good lights my buddy had on we lost in a creek in september back on a moose hunt 3-4 years ago and the next year walking in we saw it at the botom of the creek could not believe we found it and was even more amazed when I put new batteries in it and it worked the whole trip and still works today!
    That is impressive! Talk about good fortune!! I wish my experience w/ Pelican was as bright... We ordered 20 for our unit and had 6 that were DOA! I was one of the luck ones that had a bad one because they issued me a sure fire to replace it. I have heard good things about their clip lights though.

Smile Mammut

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetai...ucido+TX1.html

I believe the Mammut Lucido TX1 had the best reviews last year when they came out. Definately worth a look. Barney's has them.

Princeton tec Apex pro there is no other choice.130 lumens and uses cr123 lithium batt.

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetai...ucido+TX1.html

I believe the Mammut Lucido TX1 had the best reviews last year when they came out. Definately worth a look. Barney's has them.
    ...and Barney's has demo lights you can play with to see what you like. We even have a top secret "dark room" (read bathroom with door closed and lights off) where we do all our head light product testing.

Brett

PS We will be carrying Surefire in the near future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast