Thread: Dollies on Kodiak

Default Dollies on Kodiak

Other than the Buskin, I'm curious as to where else I can catch them?

Russian, sargents crk, american river, salione crk, (sp) olds river. All of them have nice dollies. Mission beach has some good fishing for them right in town.

Quote Originally Posted by WEST VIRGINIA FLY FISHER View Post
    Other than the Buskin, I'm curious as to where else I can catch them?
    Pack a bunch of #16 Deerhair Caddis with gray bodies, then head upstream on any major river of the road system. Wake them over riffles and spawning humpies. See schools of humpies in the holes? Wake them over the top of the humpie schools, and odds are good that humpie-sized dollies mixed in the school will rise up. Not a soul on those upper rivers between August 1 and September 15 when they're closed to salmon fishing, yet there's world-class dry fly fishing for dollies. Lots of fish over 20".

Thanks for the information. Does Mac's have that deer hair caddis and what do you mean by "Waking" the fly?

Thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by WEST VIRGINIA FLY FISHER View Post
    Thanks for the information. Does Mac's have that deer hair caddis and what do you mean by "Waking" the fly?

Thanks !!
    I think they only have it down to #14, so it's best to tie your own or buy and bring them along. You can get by with #14's, but your catch rate will go way up with the #16's.

By waking I mean to slowly drag or skitter the fly across the surface to make it look like it's alive, as you do when dry fly fishing steelhead. The "real" caddis do it while they're laying eggs, and the Dollies really key in on the movement. You don't want to do it too fast, so some line mending is needed to slow the swing of the fly as it passes over likely holding areas. Heck, sometimes it even helps to twitch it a little. I know that sounds weird when we keep hearing we need to dead drift flies, but not caddis. You'll catch 10x dollies waking them compared to dead drift. Mostly you can get away with quartering your casts downstream and across, then allowing the current to drag the fly across the surface. Just use the line mends to slow it a little, because Dollies won''t chase down something moving fast.

Thanks for the information, that really helped. I was able to find some size 14's at http://flyfishersparadise.com/ in State Collage Pa. I'll have them before I leave this coming Tuesday.

Maybe I'll see you in the Buskin. My buddie and I usually fish the "First Bridge" and upstream from there to the "Pump house hole"