Thread: Feeding issues in my Ruger M77

Default Feeding issues in my Ruger M77

I have a Ruger M77R in 300 WM. Recently I received my long awaited McMillan stock and once I installed the barreled action I am now having feeding issues. The second round down keeps jumping from the magazine and jams the action. Not the best scenario . I currently live in Dillingham and what I would like to know is a reputable gunsmith in AK that I can phone, discuss my issues and then send my rifle to have this issue remedied without a 6 month wait if possible. Any suggestions?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I have a Ruger M77R in 300 WM. Recently I received my long awaited McMillan stock and once I installed the barreled action I am now having feeding issues. The second round down keeps jumping form the magazine and jams the action. Not the best scenario . I currently live in Dillingham and what I would like to know is a reputable gunsmith in AK that I can phone, discuss my issues and then send my rifle to have this issue remedied without a 6 month wait if possible. Any suggestions?
    Gary at arctic gun works here in Fairbanks is very well respected. and he is about straight forward as they come...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Does it work correctly out of the new stock? Does the mag box sit proper to the action in the new stock?With the bolt out load the box and try stripping out the rounds one at a time like the bolt would,what happens.

Sounds like the magazine follower is in backwards. It's easy to do... I did the same thing on mine last year.

Just a thought,

Mountaintrekker

Make sure you have clearance all around the magazine box and that it is fully seated in the action. Usually when rounds pop up as you described the box is not seated correctly.
    Tennessee

Smile try this...

Put it back in the old stock and see if it works. It's been years since I had a Ruger apart. Did you have the magazine follower off the magazine spring at any time? Is it possible to put it on backwards? I don't remember if it is. Does the magazine box fit your new stock like the old one? You did put the magazine box in correctly, right? I bet it is a easy fix.

Default Update--she's feeding fine now

Problem fixed. Sent the rifle to Gary Junk (Arctic Gunworks) and he took a look at it and saw that I had somehow distorted the magazine box during the stock swap. I felt like an idiot when he told what had happened and how easy the fix was, but such is the nature of tinkering with anything mechanical. I believed the problem was due to a poor fit of the box and the action caused by a poor fit in the stock. I checked everything multiple times, but could not discover the issue. I am confident it was like the proverbial snake that would have bitten me, I just didn't see it. Regardless, Gary was very accommodating and didn't make too much fun of me during the process; he even commended my bedding job. His work and communication were excellent and I will definitely use his services again. Thanks for all of the help.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Problem fixed. Sent the rifle to Gary Junk (Arctic Gunworks) and he took a look at it and saw that I had somehow distorted the magazine box during the stock swap. I felt like an idiot when he told what had happened and how easy the fix was, but such is the nature of tinkering with anything mechanical. I believed the problem was due to a poor fit of the box and the action caused by a poor fit in the stock. I checked everything multiple times, but could not discover the issue. I am confident it was like the proverbial snake that would have bitten me, I just didn't see it. Regardless, Gary was very accommodating and didn't make too much fun of me during the process; he even commended my bedding job. His work and communication were excellent and I will definitely use his services again. Thanks for all of the help.
    You were just too close to the problem to see it, fresh eyes can make a huge difference sometimes.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona