Thread: Leaving for POW next weekend!

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Thumbs up Leaving for POW next weekend!

I am heading to POW saturday from Wa. We plan to be there for 2 weeks I am pulling my boat up there to fish crab & shrimp. I made the trip to Ketchikan 2 years ago but this year we wanted to stay on POW. We will be fishing out of Craig & Klawock.

I have not done much shrimping so I have some questions. What bottom are you looking for, for shrimp mud, rock, gravel? I am guessing mud?? What type terrain near drop offs in deeper holes?

I have 3 shrimp pots that each have 170' floating rope and 600' of sinking rope. I shrimped when I was in Ketchikan 2 years ago but we really did not do that well. What bait should we use? We used fish scraps last time.

Mike

set them at trockadaro bay in about 200-250 ft of water you will se a lot of pots out there just set in the same area .carceses will work great fined a ledge and drop it. pritty easy. the salmon fishing has been spoty but it will all be difrent buy time you get here good luck.

Good luck fishing up here.

Bentfin, you guiding this summer? Where did all the kings go? (grin)

Thanks for the info. We will be fishing in a blue & silver 21' North River Seahawk with a closed bow and radar arch wave or say hi if you see us.

Mike

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for you. I have a feeling that the king fishing is going to improve, but that is just one of those feelings. I picked up 1 yesterday and lost another one. You trolling with downriggers? I've been doing good on green hoochies behind a 11" flasher. Baited.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Cool, I'll keep an eye out for you. I have a feeling that the king fishing is going to improve, but that is just one of those feelings. I picked up 1 yesterday and lost another one. You trolling with downriggers? I've been doing good on green hoochies behind a 11" flasher. Baited.
    I am bringing my down riggers but I was told mouching was the way to go. I have not mouched much so I am bringing the DR's as back up I have quite a few hours fishing with them. There are 4 of us we will be camped at Harris River Campground the 20th to the 2nd.

Mike

I've been doing good on green hoochies behind a 11" flasher. Baited.
    The proverbial "hootchie-strip tease" works wonders on salmon in the summer.

You gonna be hunting here is less than 2 weeks? They are gonna be fatties this year. Saw a meat buck about 1/2 from my place yesterday feeding on grass along the highway. Don't see them out much at 5 pm on a hot day.

Tied up a few hootchie rigs last night as mine were getting a bit beat up. Still can't find that cop-car color pattern for the Bait Buster. Been using that set up much? You run a bead(s) on the hootchies? I usually run a double skirt and a bead or two. The bead being to keep the Gamy Octo's from jamming up into the head - i.e. keep the hooks down where they're supposed to be.

The kid is out hammering the chumpies with the gillnet right now. I've got to load up some ammo so he can hunt the opener here in about 3 weeks. Gots a fresh box of 150 gr TTSX for him to try out in his .308 Winny, but I also need to get rid of the last of the Partition Golds too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    I am bringing my down riggers but I was told mouching was the way to go. I have not mouched much so I am bringing the DR's as back up I have quite a few hours fishing with them. There are 4 of us we will be camped at Harris River Campground the 20th to the 2nd.

Mike
    Just troll with the downrigger. Unless the bite is super hot, then you are constantly getting doubles and triples and cranking up you balls.

I'd look to camp on the West Coast. You're gonna run an extra 50-60 highway miles a day to Craig & Klawock. That road is a POS and has some big-ass bumps in it. All the ameneties are in Klawock and Craig anyway.

We don't have any hunting planned for this trip just fishing. We are camping as close as possible Harris River Campground is not supposed to be that far 12 miles and 20 minutes I was told?

I wanted to stay at the Log Cabin Resort but they were booked back in March when I reserved the spot @ Harris River. I was told they had some spots in Craig in town but we wanted to have a camp fire and camp in a camp ground. This is my first trip to POW so maybe I screwed up on where to go but if I find a better spot when we get there I would just take the loss on the $6 a day and move to the better spot.

Mike

Well you're right up on the pass at 800' elev. I thought you were way over on the Hollis/Clark Bay side. Still 12 miles to Klawock and 18 to Craig one-way. Not much for a down-souther I suppose . . .

I'm talking to 270Ti about hunting. He's local and can hunt earlier than others. (Lucky Bastid!)

Fishing should be DYNO-mite.

Check out all the bears below the hatchery. I took a noob there and he was face-to-face with several bears right across the river. All the turn-outs between the grocery store and the hatchery will have trails leading to the Klawock River.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    The proverbial "hootchie-strip tease" works wonders on salmon in the summer.

You gonna be hunting here is less than 2 weeks? They are gonna be fatties this year. Saw a meat buck about 1/2 from my place yesterday feeding on grass along the highway. Don't see them out much at 5 pm on a hot day.

Tied up a few hootchie rigs last night as mine were getting a bit beat up. Still can't find that cop-car color pattern for the Bait Buster. Been using that set up much? You run a bead(s) on the hootchies? I usually run a double skirt and a bead or two. The bead being to keep the Gamy Octo's from jamming up into the head - i.e. keep the hooks down where they're supposed to be.

The kid is out hammering the chumpies with the gillnet right now. I've got to load up some ammo so he can hunt the opener here in about 3 weeks. Gots a fresh box of 150 gr TTSX for him to try out in his .308 Winny, but I also need to get rid of the last of the Partition Golds too.
    I run a skirt under my hootchie. I haven't been running beads, but I should give it a try. I just started putting a little strip of herring on the top hook and it seems to get a few more bites. I haven't tried the bait busters this year yet, but I need to. Some monster kings being caught around here lately. Not many kings, but some big ones for sure.

I am going to hunt on the 25th and the 30th, fog permitting. I'll probably go up top with my bow if it's foggy. After Aug 11 I'll be all done charter fishing and I'll be hand trolling out of my boat for cohos. I'll get to choose my hunting days then. I've been scoping out some big bucks through my spotting scope up on the alpines. Some monster black bears up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Just troll with the downrigger. Unless the bite is super hot, then you are constantly getting doubles and triples and cranking up you balls.

I'd look to camp on the West Coast. You're gonna run an extra 50-60 highway miles a day to Craig & Klawock. That road is a POS and has some big-ass bumps in it. All the ameneties are in Klawock and Craig anyway.

I mooch when I charter fish, and troll out of my 20' Pacific skiff on my off time. If you are new to mooching, bring lots of bait. 10-12 dozen a day of greens is just about right for a group of guys, if you are on the fish. Tie up some good leaders with 30-40# Maxima and Gamakatsu hooks. I like 4/0. The leaders you buy in the store are junk. Give me a call at 907-401-0600 a day before you fish and I'll tell you where the good fishing is.

I mooch when I charter fish, and troll out of my 20' Pacific skiff on my off time. If you are new to mooching, bring lots of bait. 10-12 dozen a day of greens is just about right for a group of guys, if you are on the fish. Tie up some good leaders with 30-40# Maxima and Gamakatsu hooks. I like 4/0. The leaders you buy in the store are junk. Give me a call at 907-401-0600 a day before you fish and I'll tell you where the good fishing is.
    Thanks 270ti I will take your number and give you a call. Is there any cell coverage in the area? I doubt we will have coverage at camp but how about in Craig or Klawock and which provider if any?

Mike

You're fine for cell coverage in Craig and Klawock.

You're fine for cell coverage in Craig and Klawock.
    Just don't try to head out of town.

King fishing dramatically improved today. It's on.......