Thread: new axel sugestions

Default new axel sugestions

OK I did something stupid I fried a spindle on one side of my boat trailer. It's an ez loader with a torsion suspension. I have tried Trailer Craft, Mobile Trailer Supply, Western Marine and Six Robblees which told me they could order one but at least two weeks and can't call till Monday for price. Can anyone think of a place in state that would stock an axle like this or any other fix any help would be appreciated.

Default Have you tried to save that spindle?

You might try using an abasive cutoff disk for a small drill to cut off the bearing races if they are seized on and then taking some emery cloth to clean up your exiting spindle. Good luck.

there is a least two diferent areas that have 1/8 inch groves in them the one in the back is mabye a little deeper.

Try six state distributors...

Can you buy a replacement spindle? Usually a spindle is available and if so, remove the axle, get the spindle, take it to a welder and have him cut off the old and weld on the new.

I have done such things with other trailer axles when the spindle is not salvageable, perhaps it will work for you.

If you don't have Bearing Buddies... get them and use them.

First I would try cleaning up the spindle and placing a new bearing on it to see how it fits. If there is enough to keep the bearing from moving laterally/perpendicular to the spindle then it should be ok.

Good luck !

Can't change just the spindle on torsion axle setups... You are correct on the straight axles though.

Did you try Deweys? they sell EZ loader trailers
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I had the same thing happen on an ez loader, I called the factory for the nearest dealer, had the dealer ups the parts to me. Have the trailer model and serial numbers ready.
    I am in the lower 48 but ups goes to Alaska.
    My problem was for the first time I accepted china bearings and they failed on a 500mi trip. The new axle came with china bearings and I changed them out to Timkins. No further problems.

Default New Axle

Six Robblees sold me an axle package for around $250 this spring. This included #3500 axle with spindles,hubs, bearings,springs ,Ubolts,and hangers.The existing springs were new,so I bolted everything else right up.Seems to work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Can't change just the spindle on torsion axle setups... You are correct on the straight axles though.
    You CAN just change the spindles on MOST torsion axles. Some are bolted in and some are pressed.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm getting off work early tomorrow and am going to six robblees to see if I can get a price quote. Hopefully it won't break the bank but we will see.