Thread: 375 ruger barrel heat

Lightbulb 375 ruger barrel heat

I had 2 boxes of 270 grn hornady sp-rp left from hunting season so I went to the range today. The rifle was a little off so I got it dialed then... I would fire 3 rounds and the first two almost touching the third one of the group kept winging out about 2 1/2 inches. Then I did a cool off and did 3 more shots. Same thing. Figured it was my eyes getting buggy so I took a 20 min break. I fired one round and got a bullseye I let it cool for a few minutes and the next round was touching. So I kept going to a cold barrel after each shot. I got six consecutive rounds inside 2 inches. Outa bullets then. But just a note for everyone the .375 Alaskan Hawkeye likes to run cold. I know you need to cool off between shots but this one is kinda picky. Is this typical of the .375 Ruger? BTW im using the factory hogue free floated stock with a harris bipod and a burris 1.5-6x40. I took all the shots on 4x at 100meters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default typical

I have the Safari model and it shoots the almost same way, first two or three touching and then starts to string out. I have came to the conclusion that it shoots best cold, as do most rifles with standard barrels. Keep in mind that both the AK and Safari models have shorter than standard barrels for large magnums, which could be the culpret for loss of accuracy as the barrel heats up. I still love the rifle and it is plenty accurate for hunting at even longer than normal large caliber ranges; after all, it should only take the first shot to kill whatever you are hunting and no more than two when a follow-up is needed.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Good info. Thanks for sharing. I'm planning to purchase a .375 Ruger in the African model soon. Let me know of any other idiosyncrosies.

Brett

It might be worth having it cryo'ed. I know that the Mini-14 guys swear buy it as it helps to eliminate flyers.

MAGNUM MAN

This is a hunting rifle not a match rifle. It sounds as if you are a perfectionist and that's OK. If your first two shots are touching that should be fine for the hunt. If heat is causing your barrel to rise and throw the third shot your next 2 should be in that hole.

I to have a Ruger 375 20" Alaskan with a 1.5-6X24 scope. I wasn't happy with the Hornady ammo so I developed my own. Ive tried Nosler Partition 260gr and 300gr, Accubond 260gr, Sierra Game King 300gr, Barnes TSX 270gr and 300gr. I've treid RL-15, Win 760, IMR 4007ssc, Big Game, IMR 4350 powders. I've also tried Federal 215, 215M and CCI 250 primers.

I've settled on a TSX 270gr load that puts 4-5 touching every time. That's about as good as one can expect from a rifle of this price, size and purpose.

RL-15 @ 74.0gr
    Brass trim 2.571
    CCI 250
    Barnes TSX 270gr
    COL 3.313
    measured ogive .124 off in my rifle
    group at 100 yards measured at .488
    measured velocity 2756fps

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=52679
    Last edited by marshall; 07-17-2009 at 15:27. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I've settled on a TSX 270gr load that puts 4-5 touching every time. That's about as good as one can expect from a rifle of this price, size and purpose.
    Or need for that matter!

Brett

I went to the range today with my 375 Ruger and was testing out some handloads with the 260 grain Accubonds. I fired 3-4 shots (depending on whether or not I created a flyer) of each powder weight from 72 grains to 75 grains of RL-15, going up in .5 grain increments. 73 grains was the sweet spot in mine producing a 1/2" group, all 3 bullets shared the same hole. I'll stop there!....grin

Thumbs up I know

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    MAGNUM MAN

This is a hunting rifle not a match rifle. It sounds as if you are a perfectionist and that's OK. If your first two shots are touching that should be fine for the hunt. If heat is causing your barrel to rise and throw the third shot your next 2 should be in that hole.

I to have a Ruger 375 20" Alaskan with a 1.5-6X24 scope. I wasn't happy with the Hornady ammo so I developed my own. Ive tried Nosler Partition 260gr and 300gr, Accubond 260gr, Sierra Game King 300gr, Barnes TSX 270gr and 300gr. I've treid RL-15, Win 760, IMR 4007ssc, Big Game, IMR 4350 powders. I've also tried Federal 215, 215M and CCI 250 primers.

RL-15 @ 74.0gr
    Brass trim 2.571
    CCI 250
    Barnes TSX 270gr
    COL 3.313
    measured ogive .124 off in my rifle
    group at 100 yards measured at .488
    measured velocity 2756fps

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=52679
    Im way far from a perfectionist as im sure the rifle can outshoot me any day of the week. Im just used to my ruger 300 win mag is all. I know its not a target rifle and I dont expect it to perform like one. Thanks for sharing the barnes load. I really like the factory stuff so far. So ill keep using it for a while to build up plenty of brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    I had 2 boxes of 270 grn hornady sp-rp left from hunting season so I went to the range today. The rifle was a little off so I got it dialed then... I would fire 3 rounds and the first two almost touching the third one of the group kept winging out about 2 1/2 inches. Then I did a cool off and did 3 more shots. Same thing. Figured it was my eyes getting buggy so I took a 20 min break. I fired one round and got a bullseye I let it cool for a few minutes and the next round was touching. So I kept going to a cold barrel after each shot. I got six consecutive rounds inside 2 inches. Outa bullets then. But just a note for everyone the .375 Alaskan Hawkeye likes to run cold. I know you need to cool off between shots but this one is kinda picky. Is this typical of the .375 Ruger? BTW im using the factory hogue free floated stock with a harris bipod and a burris 1.5-6x40. I took all the shots on 4x at 100meters.
    I wonder if the fore end of the stock is touching the barrel when the bipod is employed. Have you checked this to see that it’s still free when you are at aim with the bipod?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just sitting there it doesnt contact but the recoil could possibly cause a contact but I think the bullet would out the tube by then.