Thread: Jim Creek Sockeye

Default Jim Creek Sockeye

Does Jim Creek get a decent run of sockeye? Are they fished like anywhere else? I remember seeing some posts last year about folks getting reds, but it seemed they got them while silver fishing. When might they run, if they do?
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Last year I was catching them in the last week of July through the middle of August. I just got back from there today. The Knik River is very high. All of the roads going up to Jim Creek looked flooded out. You can get back there with a 4X4 or an ATV, but you'll be going through 2-3 feet of water. I saw a truck going through and the water was up to it's doors. There's basically no beach like there was last year. The sandy area where everybody drove and parked is under water. It will be quite a wade to get out to a channel that fish will be moving through. Parking will also be interesting unless the water recedes.

Nick,

Last year we were fishing below the Eklutna Tailrace a bit, in the Knik, just doing a basic flossing technique near the bank. Our target fish was silvers, but we got several reds as well. I'm guessing they were heading for Jim Creek, since it's the only red fishery I know of up the Knik. In all and between several of us, we got silvers, reds, and one big chum all in the same spot. Obviously this was a little later in the summer, though.

Interesting...I've never fished there...sort of looking for a "quickie" location to run to from Anchorage where I might pick up some sockeye when I'm off the end of this month. The Kenai is just a little far for a quick day trip, and the traffic a little much, too. Maybe at 4 a.m. a run up to Jim's might be the ticket for a few additional sockeye.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.