Thread: True Alaska camping...

Default True Alaska camping...

... NOT!

I took my son and grandsons to fish and swim at Centennial Lake on the "Big-T" road the other day and this is just a small sample of what I found scattered around the so-called camp ground. There were also various fire mounds strewn with beer cans and bottles, empty beer cases, broken folding chairs, diapers... well, you name it. I brought back 4 bags of trash besides the ones you see in the picture... which, I guess, is what they were expecting (there is a dumping site just a few miles away right off the Sterling Highway). But Gosh, someone's gotta do it. Train your kids, and maybe they'll rub off on others.

Default Leave No Trace

Sayak, yep folks everywhere should be more conscious of their relationship to the environment and practice good outdoor ethics. One program that has drawn both national and international attention is called "Leave No Trace", you may have heard of it before. IMO I believe every person that enjoys the outdoors should adopt the 7 principles that are identified in the program and put them into practice.

Here they are:

Plan Ahead and Prepare | Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces | Dispose of Waste Properly | Leave What You Find |
    Minimize Campfire Impacts | Respect Wildlife | Be Considerate of Other Visitors

Also included a weblink to the Leave No Trace website that explains each of the principles more thoroughly: http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php

Default Well...

... Nukal', I admire folks that do all that, but, seriously, I don't mind folks taking a rock or a plant back with them. I don't mind big fire pits with charcoal in them. I don't mind campers leaving rope, wire, tent pegs, firewood, and other useables for the next guy. I just mind folks who think they can mess things up and someone else will pick up after them. Most of all I hate it when people throw bottles and cans around... it just drives me freaking crazy!

thanks sayak, I don't mind traces and think we get carried away with some of the dramatic activistism like we shouldnt leave a foot print. I usually leave less traces than the ravens do when they crap on my truck. You can always tell when the blue berries are ripe.

I know what you mean, see it out here in the bush too, especially along our rivers and coast. Some people just dont get it, they leave their trash out in the open after a picnic on the river and don't even make an effort to clean it up. Even during the commercial fishing season, empty 1 qt. oil bottle and cans always wash up on our beaches, some people just chuck them over the side and don't even give it a second thought. During waterfowl hunting season, hunters just leave all their empty hulls in the field not even realizing that the hulls will be there 100s of yrs from now. During the big game hunting and berry picking seasons we would find boxes of trash at well known camp sites left there by the previous hunters and berry pickers. Sometimes it seems like people just dont care about the environment anymore. And I agree educating folk about the importance of keeping our environment clean is key.

Thanks sayak. The problem with the centenial campground is that it is the hangout of choice for the local teens to go out and party. That is the most common place in the area for minor parties. Sorry you had the misfortune of picking up their trash.

Default Yeah, I know

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Thanks sayak. The problem with the centenial campground is that it is the hangout of choice for the local teens to go out and party. That is the most common place in the area for minor parties. Sorry you had the misfortune of picking up their trash.
    Or they party right across the road at the trail head.

No place to get into parental involvement in kids lives here...

Still, I've seen the same kind of blatant neglect and vandalism done by dipnetters at Kasilof beaches, N&S. Mounds of garbage, broken gear, scattered bottles, etc. So it isn't just kids, it's a mentality of: "I have no responsibility, pick up after me." which is pervasive in our society from about age 30 on down. Sorry to generalize... just my observation.

RE: Centential: I'm not a big government guy, but I kinda wish they would upgrade this little campground with an outhouse, some concrete tables, and firepits, and maybe put a volunteer there for the summer. Then maybe gate it in the off season. It truly is a great little lake, and ....

.... shhhhh.... there are some nice fish in there, if you know how to catch 'em

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Or they party right across the road at the trail head.

No place to get into parental involvement in kids lives here...

Still, I've seen the same kind of blatant neglect and vandalism done by dipnetters at Kasilof beaches, N&S. Mounds of garbage, broken gear, scattered bottles, etc. So it isn't just kids, it's a mentality of: "I have no responsibility, pick up after me." which is pervasive in our society from about age 30 on down. Sorry to generalize... just my observation.

RE: Centential: I'm not a big government guy, but I kinda wish they would upgrade this little campground with an outhouse, some concrete tables, and firepits, and maybe put a volunteer there for the summer. Then maybe gate it in the off season. It truly is a great little lake, and ....

.... shhhhh.... there are some nice fish in there, if you know how to catch 'em
    I am 28 and DO NOT do this but have to agree with you on this. Not sure why this is true or who to blame for this but it is spot on. No respect for anything or anyone seems to be the way things are these days. There was a discussion on another forum about people walking through your camp site. Not asking just doing it. I find this very disrespectfull and would never do that but others see no problem in this. Not exactly on the same topic but it is the same sellfish mindset.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    I am 28 and DO NOT do this but have to agree with you on this. Not sure why this is true or who to blame for this but it is spot on. No respect for anything or anyone seems to be the way things are these days. There was a discussion on another forum about people walking through your camp site. Not asking just doing it. I find this very disrespectfull and would never do that but others see no problem in this. Not exactly on the same topic but it is the same sellfish mindset.
    Agreed, I am 25, and even during my late teens I would be embarrased of the way some people around me were acting, not necassarily anyone I was with, just my age group. Don't get me wrong I have had my fun but I never trashed the place and I was always mindful of those around me. Now I have 3 kids and strive to find places with less people around so that my kids don't have to deal with the "Spring Break" mentality. But it is hard to get away from the litter and the damage from previous campers. I am generalizing, so please don't take my comment for more than it is, but it'd be nice if everyone had the same respect for the areas they are using.

Unhappy

I have watched these places all over get trashed so bad, that I have pretty much become immune to it all, except the broken glass. I don't like broken glass.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Bring back the Indian commericals

Anyone remember the Indian commercials from the seventies?

The old indian chief with the single tear running down his check as he looked at the trash scattered around his old hunting grounds. As a child the commerical taught me a lifelong lesson of stewardship that still rings clear today. A thirty second lesson in responsibility.

I feel like that old chief whenever I see trash in the wilderness.

This just goes to show that some people are slobs. If you have respect for the land you will clean up after yourself, if you don't then you will trash it.

Default Not just the kids

We tried to camp there earlier this summer. I say tried because we were pretty much squeezed out by a large group of Russians. We had camp set up, had unloaded the wheelers off of the trailer and they moved in and took over. They started unloading their stuff right on to my buddies trailer and using it like it they owned it.

Default Hate to say it...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrob View Post
    We tried to camp there earlier this summer. I say tried because we were pretty much squeezed out by a large group of Russians. We had camp set up, had unloaded the wheelers off of the trailer and they moved in and took over. They started unloading their stuff right on to my buddies trailer and using it like it they owned it.
    ... but that seems to be a common story around here. I have been told by those in the know (2 former principals at Nikolaevsk and Voznesenka) that their religion makes them feel entitled as a chosen people, and that politeness, courtesy and even the laws don't apply to them in interacting with non-OB folks.

I took my grandsons up there another time this summer, and was more or less pushed out of the beach area by Russians.

This doesn't earn them any points with other people in my opinion. Don't even ask the old timers around Homer about the way moose hunting went down the drain when the OBs moved in in the 60s.

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... but that seems to be a common story around here. I have been told by those in the know (2 former principals at Nikolaevsk and Voznesenka) that their religion makes them feel entitled as a chosen people, and that politeness, courtesy and even the laws don't apply to them in interacting with non-OB folks.

I took my grandsons up there another time this summer, and was more or less pushed out of the beach area by Russians.

This doesn't earn them any points with other people in my opinion. Don't even ask the old timers around Homer about the way moose hunting went down the drain when the OBs moved in in the 60s.
    Pardon my ignorance but when I google OB, Russian OB, OB religion, etc I don't find anything. What are you talking about? (No I am not about to scald you for discriminating someone's culture or anything, I'm just dumb and don't know what OB means and having trouble following the conversation.) Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but when I google OB, Russian OB, OB religion, etc I don't find anything. What are you talking about? (No I am not about to scald you for discriminating someone's culture or anything, I'm just dumb and don't know what OB means and having trouble following the conversation.) Thanks.
    I think it means "Old Believer".
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Roger...

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I think it means "Old Believer".
    ... that. They first moved to the Anchor Point area in the 60s, then have branched out around the Homer area and, I believe, the valley as well. Have read on this forum that they are death on pike in the Nancy Lake area... which I guess is good... if they stop there.