Thread: Middle Kenai Float

Default Middle Kenai Float

Is the middle Kenai float (lower Lake to Bings) worth taking for Reds? New to drift boating and I have family coming up. Other then the Sportsmans to Jims, any other suggestions? I do have access to a small 4 stroke.

Yes. There are a number of good spots to pull over and fish along that stretch of river, along with some smokin' good rainbow trout fishing.

I last fished that part of the river on 7/20/07. We put in at the lower Skilak launch ramp and ended at Bings. Three of us got our limit of Reds in less than an hour fishing from a gravel bar at lat. 60.469601, lon -150.599247. Brianís right about Rainbows. We spent the rest of the day plugging and fly fishing with lighter gear for bows. Hooked up 4 or 5 over 18 inches even though it was the slack season. Thereís some slow water behind a couple of islands that fished well. Good trip. Youíll like it. Bring the OB, if only to get across the lake.

Default dots to bings

I have been told that the dots to bings float is a good one for second run reds. Has anyone done this? how long of a float would it be? any suggestions? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by borderblue1 View Post
    I have been told that the dots to bings float is a good one for second run reds. Has anyone done this? how long of a float would it be? any suggestions? Thanks.

I have done that float several times, but not for reds.
    I have done it for silvers in the fall.
    It's a fairly short float, but I only fish 3 holes when silver fishing and the short float enables me to maximize my time fishing my silver spots instead of spending too much time floating and not fishing.
    If you like to get out of the boat and fish gravel bars there aren't a whole lot of options in this section. If floating from Skilak there are a lot more options to get out of the boat and wade though.
    One of the best things about the Dot's to Bing's float is shuttling the vehicles is much easier as you don't have that long trip down Skilak Lake Rd. to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Is the middle Kenai float (lower Lake to Bings) worth taking for Reds? New to drift boating and I have family coming up. Other then the Sportsmans to Jims, any other suggestions? I do have access to a small 4 stroke.
    This is a good float to plan on using up the day on if you plan on stopping much and fishing for reds. If it is on the weekend and the fish are in, plan on there being a lot of boat traffic on the river, but there are good cut banks to fish off of with a rod and reel as well as longer shallower banks for fishing fly gear.

I am guessing that motoring across the lake (1/4 to 1/2 mile maybe) and then the float would be around 6 hours if you did not stop to fish. I do this in the spring to my cabin which is across from Dow Island and I think it takes around 4 - 5 hours or so.

Jim