Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question, Fairbanks Mgmt Area

Default Question, Fairbanks Mgmt Area

I drew an anterless tag. It says, anterless moose.

The rest of the anterless bag limits says anterless, however no person may person may take a calf or a cow accomplied with a calf.

For the FMA, does this mean that anterless moose be taken, regardless of cow, cow with calf or calf? I am not into baby killing, or killing moms with babies. I have no desire to taken one under that scenario, though the bag limit seems to allow it.

Any thought on this?

Yes, it allows taking a calf or a cow with a calf this year. I'm glad they changed it, mainly because so many of the moose getting hit by vehicles in Fairbanks are calves. I'd off one in a heartbeat if I had the permit. That would be some tender moose meat!

Default negative

The taking of calves or cows accompanied by calves is prohibited according to the DM788 FMA unit 20B results posting on the F&G web site.
    Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the part i like they changed is that by drawing a cow tag... the winners may NOT hunt for bulls. and sit on that tag for an IN case i dont get one...

the wife drew the lil chena area. aug hunt. should be fun. as they normally show up back in the yard then...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    The taking of calves or cows accompanied by calves is prohibited according to the DM788 FMA unit 20B results posting on the F&G web site.
    Page 5 of the 2009-2010 Hunting Regulations under "Major changes in 2009-2010 hunting regulations"

Unit 20B, Fairbanks Management Area, modify bag limit in the antlerless moose hunts to allow the taking of calves and cows with calves.

Page 96 of the 2009-2010 Hunting Regulations under "20B remainder of Fairbanks Management Area"

Bag limit: One antlerless moose by bow and arrow only by permit (DM788)

compared to other antlerless hunts that specify:

Bag limit: One antlerless moose by permit, however no person may take a calf or cow accompanied by a calf

Fish and Game is notorius for not updating their website on a regular basis.

Here's the kicker fellas:

The reg book states that taking cow with calf, or a calf, is legal this year; however, my permit just showed up in the mail, and it states on the ticket that this is prohibited.

Just peachy.

Question discrepancy

AK XL,
    I had the same concern about the permit when it came in the mail. To me, it is very clear that the State intended to change the reg to take ANY anterless moose in the FMA. The proof is in the first couple pages of the regs, changes in 2009/2010. In this case, I am going to ignore what is written on the permit with regard to this limitation.

I will not be wasting time or energy on getting this clarification made, because their intent was clearly stated. If they meant something other, I would expect an addendum with the permit which I did not see.

Am I hosed up with my thinking?

BD,

I'd say you're right on the money - same approach I'm taking. The regulation booklets, unless superseded by an EO (emergency order), are what the public has to go on; I'd think they'd trump a footnote on the permit, especially since they made note of it in the "significant changes" section for the new regulatory year.

If someone was really interested in getting it clarified, request to look at the "true" regulation books at your local ADF&G office - the actual Alaska Statutes that are what the reg books the public sees are promulgated from. Bring your attorney as they are a bit thick to read at times...

I'm looking forward to filling the freezer with the first decent shot I can conjure up.

XL

After I received my permit, I called the fish and game office in Fairbanks to get the discrepancy clarified. The dude I talked to had to confirm things with a biologist and called me back 3 hours later and told me to disregard the printed info on the permit and that we should follow the change in the regulation book. He made it very clear we are legal to kill calves, cows, or cows that are with calves. Good hunting gentlemen.

Famous last words.....

"But a guy at Fish and Game told me to disregard whats printed on the Permits"

I'd either get a new permit printed or stick with solo cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Famous last words.....

"But a guy at Fish and Game told me to disregard whats printed on the Permits"

I'd either get a new permit printed or stick with solo cows.
    Actually the guy (I can't remember his name but have it written down) told me to stop by the office when I get to Fairbanks and he would put it in writing. Thanks for trolling, you can go now.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Actually the guy (I can't remember his name but have it written down) told me to stop by the office when I get to Fairbanks and he would put it in writing. Thanks for trolling, you can go now.

If it was not DON YOUNG... you should double check with him... just to be safe... i got bad bad bad information from FBk F&G office last year... and only got an OOPS!!!!, back from them when i got my fine.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Not Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    I don't see this as trolling... I see this as saying " Better to be safe then sorry." In the end it is your choice on what you shoot, but if in the end the F&G guy was wrong and you get a fine, just because you have his name and his 'in writing' note saying to disregard the permit doesn't change the fact you were wrong.

Go see the head bio like Vince said...otherwise you are gambling.
    Last edited by AKArcher; 08-12-2009 at 19:23. Reason: spelling
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Now That is Settled....

This is the whole reason I got into bowhunting. I am looking forward to getting up at 6 a.m. on the way to the bathroom in my britches. After that is done, turn to look out the back door to see a couple moose in the yard.

Then, duck back inside, grab the bow and arrow. Open the back door, step on the frost covered deck, barefeet and britches, and let the arrow fly.

I will post the picture when I get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    This is the whole reason I got into bowhunting. I am looking forward to getting up at 6 a.m. on the way to the bathroom in my britches. After that is done, turn to look out the back door to see a couple moose in the yard.

Then, duck back inside, grab the bow and arrow. Open the back door, step on the frost covered deck, barefeet and britches, and let the arrow fly.

I will post the picture when I get it done.

LOL i know that hunt all to well... more then a few in just my slippers...

meet on face book here

Hahahahaha - I wasn't trolling, but to each his own

I dont really care in the grand scheme of things anyway because its your permit. Do what you want. I have my own permits to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Hahahahaha - I wasn't trolling, but to each his own

I dont really care in the grand scheme of things anyway because its your permit. Do what you want. I have my own permits to deal with.
    Which one is that, the bison permit, the Ft. Rich permit, or the kodiak permit?

Actually on the back of that bison permit it say's..."thou shall share bison steaks with ones friends"

I wasnt going to elaborate on what I drew as some will just dismiss it as embellishment and falsification

Thumbs up Received Re-Issued DM788 Permit

I just received the new one in the mail, and they recognized the typo with a letter of explanation. On the face of the permit, it is stamped in red, RE-ISSUED.

This has ended the issue if there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I just received the new one in the mail, and they recognized the typo with a letter of explanation. On the face of the permit, it is stamped in red, RE-ISSUED.

This has ended the issue if there was one.
    I was about ready to say that....my buddy drew and got a new permit in the mail as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast