Thread: Eagle River Campground Rapids Update

Default Eagle River Campground Rapids Update

So I went down there this evening to check out the rapids. The water is really high right now and moving fast. Looks like that one log did get pushed down a ways since i was last there. Could be fun for people who know what they are doing but dangerous if they don't. I took some video, so let's see if i can get it to upload.

Wow cool video! Its higher than just a few days agon when I was there looking. I wish I had something in between my 9' and 18' cats to go run that with!!!

where wouldyou launch for this ? and the take out?

Launch at the upstream, river left side below Briggs Bridge on Eagle River Loop Road. (Use Highland Mt. exit.) There is a state parking lot and river access there, and the cost is $5 to park. Take out is the day use area of Eagle River Campground. Another $5 parking area. Takes 30-60 minutes to float depending on water flow.

The rapids are about a 1/4 mile up from the end. There are warning signs above this, and a nice trail scouting trail. By all means scout this as the log jams, and debris change hourly with high water. Class III+ by most raters.

You can also run the section below the highway if you get a permit from the Ft Richardson gate. Ask them for directions to the take out. Class II+ to III- by most raters. Takes 2-3 hours.