Thread: Salmon Shark

Default Salmon Shark

Anyone ever eat salmon shark before? and if you did how do you prepare it. A local halibut fisherman caught one yesterday that was 7'4" long.

Default shark prep

Found this information on the ADF&G website. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...h/gfsharks.cfm

Excerpt: Salmon sharks and spiny dogfish are excellent table fare. If you plan to keep a shark, be prepared to take care of the meat. Sharks have a high urea content and are not edible unless handled properly. Bleed your shark immediately upon capture by cutting the underside of the tail, and let the bleeding continue until the heart stops. Then, make a single cut from the anus to the gills and gut the fish.

Too bad the fisherman that caught the shark didnt know about this need to bleed the shark immediately after getting it to the side of the boat.

I've eaten salmon shark smoked like salmon, as well as barbecued on a grill. They're tasty, too. And if you like something with 'substance' to it, or, in other words, a more firm meat that allows you to chew on it before it disintegrates into the digestive tract,, then smoked salmon shark is awesome.

A friend has smoked it using a variety of brines, and all of them were tasty.

As recommended in the State's blurb, bleeding, gutting, and, in the opinion of those who fixed the ones I've sampled, skinning as soon as possible, is the way to go.

For those who think that the flavor of grilled, broiled, or other fresh prepared shark is too 'gamey,' I've been told that soaking it in a bowl of milk over-night tames much of that feature.

I have fixed salmon shark sliced into 3/8"-3/4" steaks like I would a pork chop. They were good pan fried, sauted, baked, and grilled. I never tried any thing more complicated than that. A little seasoning and a little heat and they were good to eat.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Good stuff

I ended up with 2 whole sharks a couple years back so I was forced to do a lot of expierimenting. The best way to fix it I would say is just like Garenede described. But I have enjoyed shark tacos, shark kabobs, oven fried shark, pickled shark (just like pickled pike). It is great table fare and just needs a little time in some marinade to get raves from anyone enjoying it with you.

Default i did this

cut it up into 3/4 inch cubes....the boil them in lemon water until they are just starting to want to float with the bubbles....then i tossed them in a hot frying pan with butter and lemon pepper, just long enough to get a little brown....that was good stuff!!!
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    cut it up into 3/4 inch cubes....the boil them in lemon water until they are just starting to want to float with the bubbles....then i tossed them in a hot frying pan with butter and lemon pepper, just long enough to get a little brown....that was good stuff!!!
    Now that sounds tasty.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I like to smoke it.I strip it out like you do when making jerky but a little thicker.I've also pickled it and it turned out o.k. but proboally would'nt try it again.A good marinade is equal parts catsup,soy sauce and Spiracha hot sauce,toss it on the bar-b and your good to go.My second choice behind smoked is just grilling it(over wood or charcoal) and using bar-b-q sauce.