Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White or Glow for halibut ??

Default White or Glow for halibut ??

Making some jigs for halibut in 100-150 water. I'll have some black and chartruese but was trying to decide between white and "glow" white. Any comments ?

I have had good success with plain white, but I don't think it matters. I don't think Halibut are that particular as long as they can smell or see the bait.

I've never really had much luck with a glow color. I catch 90% of my bottom fish on plain black or plain white jigs. Other colors just don't seem to produce as well for me, but I know other people that swear by the glowing ones.

95% of halibut fishing is being over the halibut.. Jigs are good because you can sort through the smaller ones, and just allow the big ones to eat the jig, if you are handy with a rod. I've put countless big halibut in the boat with grubs minus the tail, tipped with a little salmon belly. The little halibut/rockfish just grab the tail and pull the whole grub off or down the shank. Color does not matter.

Talking White Glow Squid

Here's my favorite halibut jig. white glow with light sticks:
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

I fished with both last Thur. and the white caught more fish 2 to 1

i've experienced and heard that the rootbeer and dark ones seem to work better..........
    any jig will work well

Those B2's are real fish killers.

So far this year out of Valdez, the sparkly brown "rootbeer" jigs have been the ticket for us. Close second is a white Point Wilson Dart with a slice of squid on the end.

Default rootbeer sparkle jig

I agree, my favorite jig is the root beer sparkle color with the spiral tail. The halibut seem to love that tail motion. I had one eat the tail off after about twenty minutes on a brand new root beer colored jig with the spiral tail. But the real trick is to just get the bait and scent in front of them, then any color will work.

Scott

Default Butts favorite color

White is good and so is the glow.I also have different colors of glow.
    B-2 squid can be killers at times. Every trip and every fishin hole is a little bit different but I always keep a few different colors on hand. Last trip my buddy started out strong using white p-line hexbar and squid then he caught 7 skates in a row and 2 cod.
    I outfished him with an orange spin and glow on a hand tied gaignon and circle hook w/herring.Only caught 1 skate and al the other 12-15 fish were butts. They didn't like the traditional lead head I started with.
    I always carry an assortment of styles and colors and expirement. Once you find the butts switch it up if the bite slows or the fish remain small there is often a few bigger fish nearby you just need to find what they are hungary for.
    CHRIS

plain old white and a few shades of green are the best jig colors for any fish.

With all the halibut fishing trips I've done, the biggest factor I've seen in one bait/grub fishing better than another is the position on the boat they are let down. The guy who's bait is the first one the halibut come across as they come in with the scent trail, always seems to have the "hot rod"..(grin)

This year, orange was the hot color for me early out of Homer. However, out of Seward and Whitter, white seems to the color of choice. My son had the only white skirt on his hook on my last trip to Latouche, and he outfished us by a LOT - to the point that I finally took his rod and gave it to someone else so that they could catch a fish . . . I now have more white in my tackle box . . . .

SH

Default thanks

Hey guys thanks for the input. I'll post my results after my trip !

Red and white is a lethal combo.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Ive fished many years with the same setup, 9" in length pink spakly squid with a glow tube right above the hook. I have repeatedly outfished 4:1 with 3 other rigs in the water.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Some days either, sometimes both. If you land on the fish it doesn't matter. Thats the key for me. I don't stick around for too long if the fishing is poor or the size is poor, maybe 20-30 minutes and if i don't see what i like i move right away, i might burn a little more fuel, i don't burn more bait though, i just send down a kalin's scampi or Big N' first with a stink rag(soaked in herring oil or 'butt juice). Then if i get on them put down bait. This method it seems to work quite well. I personally like the Big N' glow, pearl, and white colors, especially if you stripe the tail with red, that slaughters big halibut and big ling.

I like Kalins jigs more than the Boneyard jigs. The boneyards, IMO are made of cheaper plastic. Tails tear off on like one fish. Not worth the money of ordering.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Halibut skin white side

I tip all my jigs with a couple strips of white halibut skin, hit the ol gut bucket and snatch up fresh skin, strip into 1" wide by 6" strip and hook them up. Heck of a chore to get them off. Wonder what would happen if I let it ferment a bit, stinky stinky. and it's free!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast