Thread: are Costco dipnets that much heavier than Mikes or similar?

Default are Costco dipnets that much heavier than Mikes or similar?

I picked one up at Costco and someone told me I should return it and buy one from Mikes but it really doesn't seem any heavier than the other dipnets I have tried. Uggg!

Arrow the best

According to lore Mikes are the best.

And so are Ron Fullers from Chugiak, which I swear by. At the Kasilof this year I consistently outcaught some Mike's nets closeby, and one guy near me greatly outfished me and he had one of Rons; same as me. Find Ron on craigslist, or just drive the Birchwood Loop road and you'll see his sign. Or PM me and I'll dig up his phone number.

Both Mikes and Rons are first rate; don't know about costco. A good dipnet isn't something I shop for based on price.

Eagle River

Default For Copper R, or Kenai?

Many practical comments on this informative thread:

Good luck this year!

Default isn't a five foot hoop a five foot hoop?

I've seen several people mention "so and so's nets are the best there are". Hog wash, put a five foot hoop in the water with gillnet and you will catch fish, the rest is just random chance. If anything might make a difference it's pole length. I've seen several hoops on the beach that look like they are connected to bananas. Not sure were/who made them but the tides weren’t friendly to them. To the first question about weight, not sure how concerned I would be about it, after all the net rest on the ground 99% of the time.

Arrow No

I don't think so.

Heavier means you're more tired at the end of the day unless you're strong as the Governator. But strength comes with weight sometimes and strength is good; I've broken a few.

Yeah it sits a lot... but not when the fish are using it - only when they're not - so that isn't a good argument for not worrying about weight unless you plan to catch no fish.

Whether you can string your own net or not (does the hoop remove from the pole using common tools?) can be significant unless you bring a zillion zip ties and duck tape.

Handle design is important; I get weary if there is only one way to hold the net. Also having a cross bar is very important to me. The difference between getting and losing many fish is based largely on how fast you can turn your net and pull.

And the netting is paramount. What size holes between strands? How deep does your "basket" of netting go and in what shape? Ron Fuller's are made from flat netting material, which seems dumb but for some reason really does work better.

A week or two ago on the Kasilof while I was outcatching 95% of all nets around me a guy (that wasn't catching, with his 5' hoop) told me that the "basket" of my netting was too deep - that it was illegal. I doubt it, but if anyone has something in the regs about a limitation on what this can be please shout it out here.

I just use Ron Fuller's nets now, so if I'm illegal so are quite a number of people on the beach; he sells a lot of them.

So no, I don't believe a 5' hoop is a 5' hoop and some people are just luckier than others. And we haven't even gotten into what logic to employ so far as how far out to place your net, or when to walk with your net held on top by milkjugs and when to just hold it in place. Or when to use a 15' pole and when to use a 20' pole. Or which tide to fish and which ones to sit out, resting, with a cold beverage in hand, saving your strength for a more productive time.

There's a lot of details involved I think if you want to make the most use of your time in the water.

Default Dipnet depth

Interestingly, the ADF&G regs define the minimum depth of the bag as at least half if widest dimension. I figger that's to lengthen the amount of time it takes to get the fish out of the net. The deeper the bag, the more tangled up they get, the more fish you miss while struggling to get them out.

For the boat fishers, pole strength is really important, since you've got it tied off to the bow and the whole setup takes a lot of strain. The same antenna pole I use on the Copper works great off a boat. It will not tweak. As I said elsewhere, the only thing showing strain is the D handle plastic.

Default that's great.

That's great that they specify a minimum instead of a max. The only time I can that min. really be tested is after your net is more zip tie fixits than net...

So a 5' hoop must have a net bag at least 2.5 feet deep.

I should measure mine, but I am thinking it is more like 5 feet plus. It works well.

soon to be back in Alaska

The guys complaining about your net legnth are just getting net envy.

Back on toppic. The reason people like Mikes is 3 fold. He makes a reasonable weight net that is sturdy, with good handles. He also somewhat flattens the tubing so it has less drag in the water. And he makes them with a 20' handle.
    As long as you have a 5' hoop on a 20' handle and can hold it in the current the diffrence falls in: How much you pay, how hard it is to hold it in the current, and the type of netting that you use.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.