Thread: Pants... Couldn't decide

Red face Pants... Couldn't decide

So I got one of each. I had been doing a lot of research and reading and couldn't decide which would be the best so I broke down and bought a pair of sportshill and mammut champ. They came in the mail and I am very happy. It will be interesting to see how they compare. I will be using them for a base camp moose hunt out of Dillingham this fall.

I have both and the sporthills never make it into the field anymore. IMO, the Mammut Champs are the best out there.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I just bought bought both and noticed that the sporthills do not repel water but seem like they are a little warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
    I just bought bought both and noticed that the sporthills do not repel water but seem like they are a little warmer.
    This sir is an epic understatement! My SH pants have been turned over to a life of sled service. They are my go to pants for winter use but never make it out during the fall. I have moved to Sitka but want to try the Mammut very badly. I just need to lose a few more inches in the waist to get into their size range...

Default Tried them all

Members,
    Trying to decide which pants to buy for my upcomming sheep hunt was a huge decision for me.

I tried on every maker possible,,,,sporthill, mamut, rei, cloudveil, sitka, marmot, and arcteryk....and finally decided upon the Mountain Hardware Navigator pants.... If you are still deciding I would try these pants. I have been training with them now for a few weeks and am very happy...they are stretchy, have good pockets, an internal belt, thigh vents and removable gaiters..I love em.

Good luck
    SS

Heres a question pertaining to this subject, do you guys foresee it being very warm for opening sheep season?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    This sir is an epic understatement! My SH pants have been turned over to a life of sled service. They are my go to pants for winter use but never make it out during the fall. I have moved to Sitka but want to try the Mammut very badly. I just need to lose a few more inches in the waist to get into their size range...

hey now... i am JUST A little peeved at all you guys that moved to SITKA.....

two years ago i purchased the Sitka under garments... for 49.00 each pc...

today they are 79.00 and 89.00 for bottoms and tops...

had i know all you guys were WATCHING me run around the woods i would have covered up
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Heres a question pertaining to this subject, do you guys foresee it being very warm for opening sheep season?
    This is an excellent question! Personally unless it is actually snowing and extremely cold I want light weight pants. The soft shells simply don't breath enough for me. I have tried the the Sport Hill 3sp pants and I think they would make a fantastic cross country ski pant but not a great pant for fall hunting in my opinion, definitely not for Aug. I have not worn the S/G 90% or other soft shell pants on an actual trip but I know my 90% jacket is usually in my pack until I am loaded light and just walking ridges to glass, it is WAY to hot for hiking. Besides if the S/H pants are too hot for me I know that the soft shell stuff definitely will be! I have found that the Sitka mountain pants (now the Ascent) seem to the perfect weight. I am still a little wary of them since my mountain pants literally came apart on me but they sent me a new set of Ascent pants gratis so I will give them a shot. The Champ pants seem like the perfect pant on many fronts, light weight, rugged, well put together and dry fast but they don't have one that fits me and it may be a little lighter material than I would like for glassing or lighter hikeing along ridges with a good breeze. I am also looking forward to Browningguys report on the Hagloff ruged mountain pants, they seem to be pretty comperable to the Sitka but with side vents which will help to beat the heat and from what I have been told they have great stitching too.

I am also looking forward to Browningguys report on the Hagloff ruged mountain pants, they seem to be pretty comperable to the Sitka but with side vents which will help to beat the heat and from what I have been told they have great stitching too.

Well, ive been rocking them around here in Korea a bit and they have softened up. they are a bit heavier than the ascent pants, but i think nearly everything else is too. I do like them better than the Mammut Champs tho. they (Mammuts) just feel so "pajama" like, which is good in a way, but yeah. The Hagloffs just seem like a solid hardcore pant. More to follow with them. id hate to push them hard then find out later that i dont like them all that well, but i dont see that happening i'll be giving them hell come aug 31st on an elk/mule deer hunt in BC with my bow... i know i know, its not Alaska, but its as close as i can get this year AND besides, who turns down a elk/mule deer hunt with their dad and his buddies haha. oh, his buddy is also going for a Bighorn (dad killed his last year. it should be back from the taxidermist this week, ill post pics when he emails them to me, its another life size mount to go along with his goat, grizzly, big cinnamon blackie, and my mountain lion. come to think of it, ill try to get pics of it all.) im pretty stoked to say the least! i have a sneaking suspicion im going to be a Sherpa for the sheep tho... its all fine by me, i get to pound the mountain and put my pants and NICE 6500 to the test. Hopefully it will get elk, mule deer, and SHEEP blood on it!

Smile

I have sporthils, mammuts, and sitka ascent. I love my ascents the most, they are great. They block wind better than champs IMO, and they are camo to go with my gear. Now with a rifle i dont know how imperative it is to hunt sheep in "black bear," looking pants, but i know my sitkas perform very well and keep me camo'd. They dry quickly, stop most wind, and the awesome part is if it gets hot you can roll up the pant legs and button them to make shorts. So for me the sitka wins, good luck to all.

I currently own Sitka mountain pants & celsius pants, mammut champs, and a few others. But 90% of the time I grab my Columbia fishing pants that I believe cabelas sells for around $50. Dry fast. Come in a tan that blends in decent. Can zip into shorts. Above all can by atleast 3 pairs for the price of the other high dollar pants. Granted the champs do get the nod during snowshoeing, but thats about it. If I were to do it all over again I'd skip the sitka pants entirely and rock the columbias with a warm base layer if needed all hunting season and mammut champs during winter snowboarding/snowshoeing.

Granted if bow hunting the camo might be nice, but I am still sold on its movement more than camo that gives the hunter away. Just my opinion over that past couple years in regards to pants.

My Mammut Champs are great when stationary or traversing in cooler temps but on warmer/hot days the best is the Mountain Hardware Convertible pants...lightweight, fast drying, zips to shorts. Anyhow, for moose camp, I'd go with the Champs.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Seems like I have asked this before but can you toss up a link to those pantaloons? at 50 bucks I may just need to order a set or three if they come in my size!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I currently own Sitka mountain pants & celsius pants, mammut champs, and a few others. But 90% of the time I grab my Columbia fishing pants that I believe cabelas sells for around $50. Dry fast. Come in a tan that blends in decent. Can zip into shorts. Above all can by atleast 3 pairs for the price of the other high dollar pants. Granted the champs do get the nod during snowshoeing, but thats about it. If I were to do it all over again I'd skip the sitka pants entirely and rock the columbias with a warm base layer if needed all hunting season and mammut champs during winter snowboarding/snowshoeing.

Granted if bow hunting the camo might be nice, but I am still sold on its movement more than camo that gives the hunter away. Just my opinion over that past couple years in regards to pants.

Seems like I have asked this before but can you toss up a link to those pantaloons? at 50 bucks I may just need to order a set or three if they come in my size!
    Sorry LuJon,

They are only $40 I have 3 pair of them but one is probably due to retire after 3 years of hard service. All I have is the fossil color but when I buy my next pair I'll probably try the sage, but at $40 if they fit you buy one of each.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

any one extra tall try these? I wear between a 32 and 34 inseam depending on the company. Do these run long? I know my 32" Columbia titanium pants are pushing the limit of being too short. If I was state side I would not own them but pickings in the desert are slim and I needed pants...