Thread: NICE pack

Default NICE pack

Does anyone have any experience with a NICE pack frame and a non-Mystery Ranch pack attached to it? Thanks in advance.

Search the site for Barney's pack frame and packs. Everyone up here loves/swears by them.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I don't believe that the NICE frame system will work with other standard construction pack bags. It is a weird looking frame but many who have tried the NICE system swear by it. Their load sling is super slick!! I am certain that it would be possible to configure the load sling on the NICE frame to haul a large light weight dry bag.

If you want a conventional bag on a great conventional frame then the barneys pack frame is hard to beat. There are many here that use the Barneys frame w/ a Cabelas sack pinned too it.

I have one and a large ALICE (or I suppose the old "medium" ALICE) fit right to it. You can buy a strap kit from MR but it's not needed; it just helps compress the load laterally.

I have not really used the pack yet so not much to offer.

One criticism that some offer (and often get flamed for) is that the NICE seems to be not the best pack for those with long torsos. I'm 6-1 and would not buy the MR 6500 NICE as a big pack. Plenty of folks will disagree with that statement, and state that I just don't know how to adjust it; maybe they are right. Regardless, I can still see the appeal of a NICE Crew Cab (or NICE w/ ALICE compressed) for a day pack with the ability to haul out that first heavy load of meat, which is why I bought it.

You can get ALICE packs (I'd recommend the large) dirt cheap at surplus stores, craigslist, ebay, etc. Put some buckles on the straps and you're golden.

Excellent info there JRaw! I was unaware of the ALICE packs compatibility with the NICE frame. It makes sense though now that I think about it. I was limiting my thinking thinking to regular pin to frame bags.

Default Nice

Thanks for the information everyone.

I use a Barney's myself, one trip to Alaska taught me that, but am looking for a cheaper alternative for my son in case he doesn't stick with it.

you know 2 of my buddies now own the "No Guff" hunting pack by Jim Shockey...they love it and it is lightweight and very comfortable for them....by the way they do LOTS of high mountain dall sheep scouting and just about everything else, for days at a time....at $250 its the best pack Ive seen lately...and I plan to get one myself...hope this helps.