Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eklutna lake brown bear bow-only...ideas?

Smile eklutna lake brown bear bow-only...ideas?

So i'm one of the 5 only folks that drew the eklutna lake brown bear with bow only tag. I spent a lot of time up there chasing black bears, but didnt see to many griz. Does anyone that has spent some time up there give me some ideas on where to go if you had a tag? I've got a zodiac and can get across the lake but it was pretty darn thick in there for chasing griz with a bow...Any help would be appreciated thanks!

I don't know how late your season runs, but I'd be hunting areas of berries above treeline. No outboards allowed on Eklutna Lake by the way. Get high and glass a bunch.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Smile

Yes i have a 55 LBS thrust trolling motor season runs 08 sep- 31may of the follwoing year, have a little bit of time. THanks, thats they way i did for blackies and saw a whole bunch. Buddy will be backing me up on this one, it should be pretty exciting. spot and stalk relativiliy open terrain for big bears!

Cool. That's a big time frame. Hunt the berries in the fall..if that fails you can strap on the snowshoes and hit it again in April. How big of an area do you have? Is it just around the lake?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Smile

Its the whole eklutna lake managment area so before and after the lake. Heres the link to the map....

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/GIS/m...MA_eklutna.gif

Default Eklutna tag

Got drawn as well. Will probably concentrate on spring due to increased visibility on the snow and less vegetation. I have low expectations, but should be a series of adventures close to town.

Best thing you could do would be to let me have your tag !!! But really, good luck. I put in for it but didn't win. I would hunt high up in September if it were me.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

You're killing me, doogie and Mkay. I realllly wanted that tag.

Well, figure it out and write me a long, detailed hunt report. That'll be helpful when I win it in 2010.

count me in for one of the lucky ones....i am the same way, i have seen many blacks but not many brownies...but it should be fun!!

Default Big Wild Life

I looked up the folks drawn. One yankee from New Jersey and someone from Cheyenne, and 23 Alaskans.

Brian that is the most insightfull advice Get you ***** out there and find it, which is of course the plan but if anyone knew where a lota griz hang out then it makes my job that much easier.

Default Eklutna bear

I wanted this tag bad! I hunted up in eklutna for sheep last Sept. and saw 4 brown bears. None of them had a care in the world I was a human....they just went about their business even when I was in full sight and even when I tried to scare them off! If you want send me a pm and I will tell you the area I saw them. Lots of brown bear sign all over this area. Congrats on the tag, should be a great hunt.

Smile

You'll see me on the mountain high and glassing as usually, Hopefull will pay dividens. Bow range of brown bear how much more exciting does it get! hope no one with this tag is bearanoid LOL

shoot them with a straight arrow...that what i have always said..of course that was for caribou on the haul road..not something that can eat you.

Go above tree line the last week in Sep & first wk in October. I have seen a few in the gully to the NE of twin peaks trail & also Bold peak trail between it & Hunter Creek.

F & G gave me a survey after I hunted the late sheep tag in there. They wanted to know how many bears I had seen & locations. On the bottom I wrote open a brown bear season!!! Good luck you should see several mowing on the berry fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    I looked up the folks drawn. One yankee from New Jersey and someone from Cheyenne, and 23 Alaskans.
    That makes more sense. I thought there were 25 total tags available.

Hunt the south side. Get up high--into the back valleys...where the ground squirrels are. There are a few game trails but they take a bit of work to find.

We ride wheelers up there every year and like to take the binos and spotting scope with us. Every time we have gone there I have seens brown bears and 1 in particular was huge, i'm sure he is still there. I put in for this tag but did not draw, should be a good hunt for those that did.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    We ride wheelers up there every year and like to take the binos and spotting scope with us. Every time we have gone there I have seens brown bears and 1 in particular was huge, i'm sure he is still there. I put in for this tag but did not draw, should be a good hunt for those that did.
    ...my man just rolled his eyes and shook his head when we found out I drew this tag...-lol-
    -he thought I was nuts, when I put in for it-

-yep, this should be an eventful hunt....

-thankyou to all contributing info and advice on this thread-

Smile

why would you be nuts for going after brown bear in a park, a park that has never been hunted....Sounds like the place i want to be!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast