Thread: Yukon Moose Hunt info

Default Yukon Moose Hunt info

Im planning a moose hunt on the Yukon for 2008. I was station in Galena with the Air Force in 89 and 90. I will be using my 24 ft woldridge 460 inbord. Any advise would be greatly appriated. How much fuel to take or do you just buy it at the villages. Best time to go. What type of spare parts should I bring. Anything anyone can think of that would help would be appriated. Thanks in advance. I know its two years out but I feel if you plan the right way then things have a way of working out.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Im planning a moose hunt on the Yukon for 2008. I was station in Galena with the Air Force in 89 and 90. I will be using my 24 ft woldridge 460 inbord. Any advise would be greatly appriated. How much fuel to take or do you just buy it at the villages. Best time to go. What type of spare parts should I bring. Anything anyone can think of that would help would be appriated. Thanks in advance. I know its two years out but I feel if you plan the right way then things have a way of working out.
    What part of the Yukon are you planning on hunting? Lots of areas and advice would depend on how far you want to go.
    Parts: extra starter or a starter rebuild kit if you are handy, belts, spark plugs, carb rebuild kit, distributor cap, rotor, points or electoninc module for distibutor, fuses, various size hose and clamps, wire and wire connectors, nuts, bolts, silicone, thermostat, gasket material.

Wanting to stay below Newlotoe I think that how its spelled its about 50 miles from Galena up river. Between Ruby and Galena used to be any bull. Dont care how big the bull is will shoot the first legal one I see just want to do it for the adventure. I also would like to try and get away from alot of people.

Default Yukon hunt

Where are you putting in at?
    Boondoggle
    1997, 2859
    Bayliner CE

The only place I know of is the bridge at the hall road.

Default Yukon Hunt

You can also do it from manley- I would leave with less than 150 gallons on board.
    Boondoggle
    1997, 2859
    Bayliner CE

Wanting to stay below Newlotoe I think that how its spelled its about 50 miles from Galena up river. Between Ruby and Galena used to be any bull. Dont care how big the bull is will shoot the first legal one I see just want to do it for the adventure. I also would like to try and get away from alot of people.
    Nulato is not upriver From Galena. Ruby is 50 miles up river from Galena. Most of the areas down in that country are now drawing hunts as well. Moose numbers dropped from all of the hunting pressure and they went with more and more areas requiring permits. If being alone is part of the trip I am not sure the area's any where close to Galena will get you what you are after.

Besides the bridge and Manley you can also put in at Nenana and avoid all of the bad dirt roads.

rambling raven thanks for the info do you hunt the Yukon every year? Seen your pictures and vidoe on river jet that was one small creek you ran up to get the moose.

rambling raven thanks for the info do you hunt the Yukon every year? Seen your pictures and vidoe on river jet that was one small creek you ran up to get the moose.

Hello Skybust - I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    You can also do it from manley- I would leave with less than 150 gallons on board.
    Hello Boondoggle - Curious to the logic behind leaving with that amount of fuel? Is this unique to leaving from Manley or what is the theory? Always looking for advice to improve my efficiency. Thanks

If you don't have one consider getting a kicker. Something that can control your boat to get to safety in the event you loose your main power. A lot of bad stories out there about loosing the motor and not having any power and being at the rivers mercy.

D
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I knew a guy who putted in reverse from Ellas Cabin all the way back to Galena. lol Good gear is #1 out there!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed