Thread: Just getting ichy

Default Just getting ichy

Will be there in a week, flying in on the 18th, headed for Resurrection Creek for a couple days to start.

I printed out the tide chart, using Anchoratge as a reference, will that be accurate for Hope. Just curious, tide wise when is the best time to fish, high, low, going out, coming in.

We also want to do a bit of clamming........assuming best at low tide. Without a buch of gear, can we just scrape by with a shovel and bucket and would take any clues on where to dig.

From what I have seen our timing seems to be pretty good. Pinks should be picking up. We will be on the Middle Kenai the 21st and 22nd, and seems we may be hitting that about right as well for Reds.

Weather looks like it may be on the wet side, but we planned for that, it's Alaska, it's going to rain.

Just getting antsy, looking for some input on how things are shaping up.

Default enjoy your stay

hope you have a good time here. the tide table for anchorage may be about 20 minutes or so off for hope(i'd have to check the tide book).

for clamming, i'd say ninilchik to deep creek, o n the negative tides. check out the fishing regs for clamming or get a tide book when you arrive they are both free and have illustrations on how to dig clams(at least the tide book does).

as far as rain, it has been awhile since we've had some. i hope your right about getting some!

enjoy your stay here and good luck on all your adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Will be there in a week, flying in on the 18th, headed for Resurrection Creek for a couple days to start.

I printed out the tide chart, using Anchoratge as a reference, will that be accurate for Hope. Just curious, tide wise when is the best time to fish, high, low, going out, coming in.

We also want to do a bit of clamming........assuming best at low tide. Without a buch of gear, can we just scrape by with a shovel and bucket and would take any clues on where to dig.

From what I have seen our timing seems to be pretty good. Pinks should be picking up. We will be on the Middle Kenai the 21st and 22nd, and seems we may be hitting that about right as well for Reds.

Weather looks like it may be on the wet side, but we planned for that, it's Alaska, it's going to rain.

Just getting antsy, looking for some input on how things are shaping up.
    If you're in Ninilchik or Clam Gulch on the weekend of the 25th you should be good for clams (good negative tides). Just do a seach on this site for clamming techniques (clam shovel and bucket should work). I dug right on the beach in Ninilchik last year and did just fine.

Smile Hey Mark

Its Paul (ebay guy) in Soldotna. Im on all the forums, fishing wise!! My neighbor said the walk from the air service to where you will be parking is a 10 minute walk at most...So if possible cancel your pickup from the rafting guy...Also chances are he will be home and can give you a ride back to your vehicles. If you are clamming Id be happy to show you where I clam,( if im off work) I can go with you or tell you where to fin them, also I have 3 shovels and buckets...Go to homepage www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com Use Klondike Kid's razor clam cleaning recipe and you are in!!! They are great eating. Additionally any days Im off when you are here we can fish reds on the Kenai...Paul Twait
    Last edited by kenairiver red; 07-11-2009 at 21:12. Reason: spelling

Default High hopes in Hope...

I always enjoyed fishing there. Most memorable times were on the incoming of the high tide, and I would time it to be there at learst two hours ahead of it.

The flood was also good, and at times even the outgoing. It's all just dependent on which fish, and how many, are in.

Hope is one of the most memorable spots of all my highway fishing experiences. There is ample room to roam, unencumbered casting areas, and terrifc scenery.

Add to that the sound of the gulls and your packed picnic lunch, and it's just about as good as it gets for the casual angler.

Watch for the stingging nettles if you get off the beaten path. My right pinkie is still holding the scar tissue build-up when I went flower picking.
    And if the dope is still growing wild, leave it alone...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"