Thread: border crossing: US/Canada

Default border crossing: US/Canada

I am posting this q in hunting because it has the most subscribers.

I am trying to confirm the necessary documents for me and my family to drive through Canada en route to Anchorage, where I will store my truck before flying to Kotzebue.

The info is difficult to obtain, clerks at the post office gave me conflicting info, and the government websites are confusing to say the least. The phone number for passports is 100% non-human interaction.

I purchased two "expedited" passport cards (2-3 weeks, expedited). Cost my wife and I, I think, about 240.00. Articles I read stated no need for the cards for my children (newspaper articles, not from the gov), and the post office clerk who processed my application said the kids need the cards, too.

Anyone with experience crossing the border in the last month, please post info here.

Thanks!!

Mike

You need passports. I don't know if your children do though.

google "canada firearms transport paperwork" and it will take you to a website where you can download a form and instructions for taking rifles and shotguns through canada.

Default passports

taken from this website
    http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadat...izenborder.htm

Bottom line: As of June 1, 2009, everyone from every country arriving in Canada by air, land and sea has needed a passport or equivalent travel document. (Some exceptions apply to children's passport requirements). Besides an up-to-date passport, visitors may instead have an equivalent travel document, such as a NEXUS Card.

Best Advice: If you haven't already, apply now for your U.S. passport or an equivalent travel document.

If you need a passport right away, get a passport within 24 hrs with Rushmypassport.com

U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 15 or younger with parental consent will be allowed to cross the borders at land and sea entry points with certified copies of their birth certificates rather than passports.

and from this site
    http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/AboutBC...FSIuagodvjz9Kg

Weapons: All firearms must be declared. Revolvers, pistols, fully automatic firearms and other weapons and self-defense sprays (e.g. mace, pepper spray) are prohibited. For more information contact the Canadian Firearms Centre toll-free inquiry line at 1-800-731-4000.

For more information on customs offices and regulations when entering Canada, visit the website for the Canada Border Services Agency or, call 1-800-461-9999 (toll-free within Canada), or 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 from outside Canada (long-distance charges apply).

hope this helps and good luck on your travels

Good stuff. I ordered the passport card for both me and my wife, cost about 240 total to have in 2-3 weeks. For our children i will use birth certificates.

I read on the us border/customs website that they will be accepting certain alternatives if you can't get acceptable documents in time, but I am interested in a smooth entry/re-entry.

I am moving to AK, so I will mail my firearms to myself.

I left central Florida on May 26th and got to the border crossing at Sweetwater, Montana and Canada border on the 4th of June. I was trailering a square stern canoe type boat with a go-devil motor for a trip into the Brooks Range prospecting for the summer. I had saved and researched for the trip for 2 years. I was denied entry into Canada because 35 years ago while hitch hiking through Canada from Alaska I shoplifted a frozen pizza worth $1.80. I spent 6 days in jail, they took my dog I had hitch hiked with for 2 years away because I did not have the $350.00 dollars for her kennel fee. They took me to the border and told me I couldn't come back to Canada for 2 years. I didn't give this incident much thought because 35 years had passed. I have wanted to get back to Alaska since I left 35 years ago and this was my window of oppurtunity for the trip, so I don't think I will pay them the filling fees($200.00-$1,000.00) to start the pardon procedings. Any way just be sure and check with the proper Canadian authority if you have any legal history in Canada or the States. Have a great trip, Seb

That was depressing! Please tell me you got your dog back.

Labor Day just before 911, my wife and I were returning with our kids from Niagara Falls CA, and we were so frustrated by the rude border guys who went nuts over a case of Molson I forgot to claim. I stopped after I got through and laid on the horn and my wife and I both flipped them off. Those were US guys. I think there is a fair chance I could end up in jail now that 911 has made things tougher.

No I never got her back, but she was real pretty, looked like a black Irish Setter so I have always belived some one that likes dogs took her home. If you don't have an arrest record you should be good to go. I just wished I had covered all my bases and checked about it before I left Florida, but who would have thought the Canadians would be so unbelieveably petty and hurtfull after 35 years. Seb

Mail your firearms to yourself?

Is that what I think it is? Funny I had never thought of that, it technically is NOT a transfer.

Is it actually legal to ship a firearm from:

Joe Schmoe
    123 tiedye lane
    Anywhere, CA 92000

to:
    Joe Schmoe
    456 Moose street
    Somewhere, AK 99501

It makes sense...

Default sorry this reply is so long

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Mail your firearms to yourself?

Is that what I think it is? Funny I had never thought of that, it technically is NOT a transfer.

Is it actually legal to ship a firearm from:

Joe Schmoe
    123 tiedye lane
    Anywhere, CA 92000

to:
    Joe Schmoe
    456 Moose street
    Somewhere, AK 99501

It makes sense...
    From this website:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...pping_Firearms
    Shipping Firearms

• Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL but may be shipped intrastate. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.

• A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting.

• Firearms delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written notice to the carrier of the contents of the shipment, if mailing to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors. Notice to the carrier is not required when shipping to one of the licensed entities aforementioned. Letter from BATFE summarizing shipping responsibilities under the law: Media:BATFE_shipping_letter.jpg

or this site:

http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx
    Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

11.1 Pistols, Revolvers, and Other Concealable Firearms
    11.1.1 Definitions
    The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:
    a. Handgun means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm or device the mailing of which is regulated by this standard.
    b. Pistol or revolver means a handgun styled to be fired by the use of a single hand and to fire or otherwise expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.
    c. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, designed to, or that may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, spring, or other mechanical action, or air or gas pressure with enough force to be used as a weapon.
    d. Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.
    e. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person.
    f. Licensed manufacturer and licensed dealer mean, respectively, a manufacturer of firearms or a bona fide dealer of firearms, duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury, under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618), 18 USC 921, et seq.
    g. Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:
    1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
    2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
    11.1.2 Handguns
    Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 11.1.3 and 11.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 11.1.4 and 11.1.6.
    11.1.3 Authorized Persons
    Subject to 11.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:
    a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
    b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
    c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
    d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
    e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.
    f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.
    g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 11.1.3c. through 11.1.3e.
    11.1.4 Affidavit of Addressee
    Any person proposing to mail a handgun under 11.1.3 must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee setting forth that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm under a particular category of 11.1.3a. through 11.1.3g, and that the firearm is intended for the addressee's official use. The affidavit must also bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official duty use of the addressee, signed by one of the following, as appropriate:
    a. For officers of Armed Forces, by the commanding officer.
    b. For officers and employees of enforcement agencies, by the head of the agency employing the addressee to perform the official duty with which the firearm is to be used.
    c. For watchmen, by the chief clerk of the department, bureau, or independent branch of the government of the United States, the state, the territory, or the district by which the watchman is employed.
    d. For the purchasing agent or other designated member of enforcement agencies, by the head of such agency, that the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee included in 11.1.3c. through 11.1.3e, Authorized Persons.
    11.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers
    Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.
    11.1.6 Certificate of Manufacturers and Dealers
    A licensed manufacturer or dealer need not file the affidavit under 11.1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms, that the parcels containing handguns (or major component parts thereof) are customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of his or her knowledge or belief the addressees are licensed manufacturers or dealers of firearms.
    11.1.7 FBI Crime Detection Bureaus
    Handguns may be mailed without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6 if:
    a. Addressed to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), or its director, or to the scientific laboratory or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers or officers of a state, territory, or district authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment; or
    b. Offered by an authorized agent of the federal government as an official shipment to any qualified addressee in categories 11.1.3a. through 11.1.3g, or to a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms or to a federal agency.
    11.2 Antique Firearms
    Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6.
    11.3 Rifles and Shotguns
    Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.
    11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms
    Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.

but best info from this site:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7
    (B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods? [Back]
    Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.
    Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm

I guess that answers my question Thanks.

Even though it is perfectly legal to transport long-guns through Canada; I've done it before and even though it really isn't that difficult, I think I would rather just mail them to myself.

Thanks for the info

I have a handgun, I plan to check with ups or fedx first to send it to my AK address, otherwise, I'll pay a gun dealer to ship it to another gun dealer.

I will mail myself my rifle.

Default "expidited" passport?

Sorry to tell you, but you got the shaft.
    Friends in Ohio applied for their passports 3 weeks ago & received them last week. The same for my wife & I a year ago, we got them in about 2 weeks. Even though you're told it may be a long wait, the process goes pretty quickly for a regular passport (in my experience).
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Sorry to tell you, but you got the shaft.
    Friends in Ohio applied for their passports 3 weeks ago & received them last week. The same for my wife & I a year ago, we got them in about 2 weeks. Even though you're told it may be a long wait, the process goes pretty quickly for a regular passport (in my experience).
    Gary
    You can also pay the expedited fee through the US government and get your passport a tad faster, this is what those companies do for a lot more money.

Default Be careful

Whatever you do make sure you think back to any criminal record you might have. Even the smallest of crimes when you were a young adult that you may not even remember will be enough for a jerk at the border to turn you around. Their not nice about it either.
    Calling to confirm you are legal to cross after explaining any citations or jail time you have served is also almost not worth dialing the phone for. They will always say your good to go then the border may still turn you around.

My story as short as I can make it: April 2007 moving to Juneau AK from Wasilla AK. All my posessions were moved for me by my company except they wouldn't ship my boat so I decided to drive it down with my truck and 3 rifles. Got to the border and passed through no problems at all. Knowing I had DUI 5 yrs prior I was a little worried but alas no issue at all. 5 months later my cousin flys up from Minn to go hunting with me. We planned to ferry my boat and truck to Haines and drive thru Canada back into the state to hunt the interior. Same truck 1 of the same guns and same boat I had came down with 5 months prior. Got to the border in Haines and the man told me I was a felon in his country and I couldn't come in. He didn't care that I had just passed thru earlier in the yr. My cousin had an assult charge back home a few yrs ago and it was reduced to a disorderly. The guy at the border didn't care what it was reduced to, he only cared about the original assault charge calling my cousin a dangerous and violent person and that he could come into the country but not with a rifle. We even called ahead explaining his charge and that he had to bring a rifle and they told us it would be no problem.

An entire yr of planning, vacation saving, and money saving down the toilet! I no longer drink, and havent for a few yrs, I have started a family, and I have paid my debt to society believe me. I am a completly different person now, but Canada still holds it against me depending on who's manning the booth.

Calling someone at the border station/customs doesn't mean squat. Every border station is different. Canada is completly inconsistent with the laws and regulations between their border stations.

Do not take a pistol. Have a licensed gun dealer send it to a dealer in Alaska.

Register your long guns on the US side before going to the Canadian side. You can get the forms off the US Border Patrol website. The Cannoks like see this. They will charge you $25 fee (at least that was what it was in 05).

Have all your firearms readily available for inspection; don't bury them at the bottom of your junk.

You will find it harder to get back across the US side than entering Canada. Good luck and be safe. Oh yeah, leave your radar detector at home.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/