Thread: dpms panther

Question dpms panther

I put money on a Dpms Panther 223 24" bull special today. 24" stainless fluted bull barrel. Flat top upper. It was cheaper than all the Colt and Bushmasters with the 16 or 20 inch barrels. I woulda got the 308 if there was one on the shelf. Any one here shot one before? It is my first AR and I dont know a dang thing about them. It was an impulse buy. I just wanted to get one before the hammer falls on gun ownership. Any ideas on rail mounted iron sights?

Default Well....

If you've not had one before to compare to, you'll like the DPMS Bull. Mine is a Bushmaster, but the same idea. Neither that I've had my hands on had decent triggers, and one of the first things you'll want to do is replace it with one of these: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=294
    Shop around, because the Rock River NM trigger assembly is available for less than that. No reason to pay more than their list price. Yes, there's other arguably better triggers, but you'll pay a LOT more for 'em.
    You didn't mention what twist rate the barrel has, so take a look at the barrel somewhere ahead of the gas block, and that information should be marked there. 1-9 is getting to be 'standard', and will let you shoot up to a 60-65-ish grain bullet accurately. Heavier weight might be possible, but not likely. Whatever twist, break the barrel in well. With the stainless barrel, you don't have the chrome lining to deal with, but depending on the level of finish on the interior surfaces, you may be frustrated with the lack of accuracy and level of fouling, or you'll be delighted with the performance from the git. Don't give up if it needs a couple hundred rounds to start performing, it'll get around to it.
    Mount the best scope you can afford on the thing, suited for the type of shooting you have in mind for it. Right now, I've had three scopes on mine, and several different "risers", scope rings, and one-piece scope ring/base thingies (which seems to be the best so far).
    You can likely find an orphaned detachable carry handle with sight assembly installed for a decent price, but the front sight may be a bit problematic. If you've got the gas block with the 'Picatinny' rail, you can get a good folding front sight and leave it installed, but they get pricey real quick.
    Twenty round capacity (or less) magazines work best off the bench, and shooting prone. The thirty rounders are long, and do get in the way of almost everything. The MagPul twenty rounders are VERY compact, well made, and I've watched a Suburban drive over them loaded and unloaded, be inserted into the rifle and keep functioning. From the right source, they're also fairly inexpensive. Otherwise, whatever magazine you end up with, make sure it has the 'good' followers, no dents, bends, cracks, corrosion or excess filth. A BIG box of magazines might be more important than the rifle if the world as we know it comes to an abrupt end, and NO, I am NOT one of those fellas!
    At some point, you'll want a Bore Snake, or other portable cleaning system. You'll also need to come up with a 'field repair kit', or some such that has all of the small parts in it that seem to go into a sub-orbital trajectory into the deepest part of the forest or carpet that is possible to be lost in. Get a BIG bottle of "M-Pro 7" solvent. Works about the best of all the super solvents that I've had my hands on, especially at cleaning the interior surfaces of the upper receiver, charging handle, and bolt/carrier, of the carbon fouling. (Where was this stuff when I started cleaning my first M-16 thirty five years ago???)
    At some point, you'll likely want 'another'....the things are becoming available in good quantities again now that the rush is over, and at good prices. The more I've fooled around with the 20-24" barreled rifles thinking they were the 'best', I'm looking for a good 16" carbine!
    Enjoy!

Default RRA

Darreld, I am currently waiting for a rifle kit from Del Ton and I did order the RRA two stage trigger, on advise from other forum members. How does the two stage trigger work? I have mostly hunting rifles and am not familiar with that type of trigger. Thanks, Mark

Thumbs up This one

has the 1 to 9 twist and the gas block. Im going to get the troy tritium folding battle sights for it first and get a scope later. My deciding factor on this model over the carbines was the price. It was 100 to 800 bucks cheaper than the others. I got it at the msrp $1180 and it comes with a case 2 30rnd mags and sposed to have a cleaning kit. Its on a easy pay plan at a local gun dealer. So its not in hand yet. I was gonna look for an M1A but even if I could afford it it seems they are difficult to get right now. The military is getting all of them right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Congrats

Keep it clean, and wet (lube), you'll have a ball.

Default Two Stage Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Darreld, I am currently waiting for a rifle kit from Del Ton and I did order the RRA two stage trigger, on advise from other forum members. How does the two stage trigger work? I have mostly hunting rifles and am not familiar with that type of trigger. Thanks, Mark
    Like most military triggers that preceded it, once the rifle is ready to fire, on pulling the trigger, you'll notice that the first 'stage' is fairly light, then when it gets to the point where it's going to let off, it gets just ever so slightly heavier, that's the second 'stage', and lets you know that it's getting ready to break.
    My trigger breaks around 3.5 pounds, and more importantly, at that pull weight, still captures the hammer and doesn't slam fire the next round. The break is very clean, and very, very little overtravel. There is no 'gritty' feeling, nor long 'mushy' feel to the RRA trigger, much like a nicely tuned military bolt gun trigger.
    There are better triggers for the AR out there, but they're out of stock, and almost three times the cost. The RRA's are about as good as you can get, especially if you factor in the cost. When we called, they said they were on backorder, but we had them in-hand in three weeks.

The Troy sights that I've seen are very nice sights! The rifle I'm currently building will be a 16" heavy barrel, and they're what I figure to install on it.

Default The Chiropractor next door to our shop...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    has the 1 to 9 twist and the gas block. Im going to get the troy tritium folding battle sights for it first and get a scope later. My deciding factor on this model over the carbines was the price. It was 100 to 800 bucks cheaper than the others. I got it at the msrp $1180 and it comes with a case 2 30rnd mags and sposed to have a cleaning kit. Its on a easy pay plan at a local gun dealer. So its not in hand yet. I was gonna look for an M1A but even if I could afford it it seems they are difficult to get right now. The military is getting all of them right now.
    Ordered one of these the day after the election to bust coyotes with, and does that job very well! So far, he has stuck to 55 and 62 grain bullets, calling them in. He did scope the beast first thing, and hasn't looked back. We put a 6-24X44 Konus with adjustable objective on it, and it doesn't need the "nose-bleed" high rings to clear the free float handguard tube. He's got it set up low enough that I have trouble getting my fat face down on it for a consistent sight picture, but he likes it there, and the customer is always right, ya know!