Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haul Rd Caribou

Default Haul Rd Caribou

Does any one have any eyes on where the caribou are? It's that time of year again to start this thread. Thanks for any in put inadvance.

Went from Prudhoe to the boat launch at 50 mile and back on Monday the 6th and didn't see any. Went back out last night from Prudhoe to 30 mile and didn't see anything except a grizzly. Looks like at least one hunting party is out there and they were sitting on lawn chairs glassing the river bed.

Pretty quiet right now, I think most of the bou are on their ocean-front beach.

seeing bou here at kuparuk as usual for this time of year they are spending their july vacations near the beach
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Saw a couple nice bulls between Kuparuk and Prudhoe yesterday. I'm sure most of them are on the coast.

Default Long Drive, no Bou

My brother drove up last week all the way to Deadhorse. He did not see any caribou on the way up, and only one bull on the way down. He said he really did not see much of anything in the way of animals. That is if you don't include the hordes of mosquitos.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my hunting pard. runs up 2 times a week.

he has only been seeing them right around dead horse at this time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Harvest tags or Registration hunt?

I'm confused about hunting tags up on the Haul road. Do you just need a general caribou harvest tag or do you have to get a registration permit?

I asked at Sportmans the other day and was told that i just needed a harvest tag. That seems weird to me because in previous archery-only hunts I had to show my IBEP card and hunters safety card to get the required tag/permit.

Thanks,

harvest tags only... limit 2 bulls, so make sure to have 2 tags on you. You can get them on line on the fish and game website.

Just had a guy drive up from Toolik and said he didn't see any. He also said the road isn't in very good condition right now. I might head down this coming weekend to do a quick scouting trip.

I am heading up Friday for a week. I will post my results when I return.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default Thanks Jerod!

Thanks for the info!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

as promised...

no bou seen the last 3 trips. Ray just got back this morning. they have been all the way up by Prudoe it self staying near the cooler ocean side of things... he promised me weekly reports...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I had one stalk per day for the last three days. First was cut off by the river, so it wasn't much of a stalk. Second group was on the west side of the road just south of the big gravel pit, but the bou were headed west and there was no catching up to them.

Last night I took the chest waders and went across the Sag. River level is normal, and I found a couple of spots that were braded out and pretty easy crossing, nothing above my waste. I spent about 4 hours working a couple of bulls, and I belly crawled into them while they were bedded down. I had a little knoll I was working towards about 10 yards in front of me and the caribou were another 20 yards past that. Unfortunately they got up, stretched and proceeded to walk right to me as I was sprawled out on my belly. One bull took interest in me and walked a little closer, then did the wide legged spooked stance and trotted off after staring at me for over a minute. The other bull went with him. I let them get out of site, and worked in on them again but couldn't close the gap under 70 yards.

Had a hard time finding a good spot to cross and I worked south for a couple of miles, but followed the river until I found another braded out section. This time I managed to cross in water not much deeper than my knees.

All of the stalks were right close to town. I saw a couple other rigs with hunters in them, but no racks. Been real windy for almost a week now, and the bou should be working their way down any day now.

Are the caribou near

Last week one of the crews here in Kuparuk said they saw a huge herd heading north. I've seen a few bulls here and there in the field. Not sure about the road,but I'd guess the majority are next to the ocean living on the cool breeze, keeping away from the bugs.

Default update

Just got back from the Haul Rd yesterday. Went up on Friday. We did not see any Caribou until we were already north of the no big game hunting boundary just before Deadhorse. We spent the first day up there glassing from the road. We watched a group of about 5 bulls mill around about half a mile into the no hunting boundary and when we saw they had no plans on moving down decided to wade across the Sag. We hiked out to 2.5 miles set up camp, ate, and then hiked out the 5 mile mark to rifle hunt. We saw a group of cows bedded down at the 5 mile mark and a cow and a calf heading toward the road but that was it. The next day we hiked out to 6.5 miles and saw 2 bedded cows. Had to come back early so we left on Tuesday. On the hike back we did run into a group of caribou working their way south on the far side of the Sag that had 2 small bulls in it. We left our bow in the truck and since we were within 5 miles of the road could only watch them go by. Hopefully that was the beginning of them heading south. I think if we could have stayed up there a little longer we could have shot one. The only other bull we saw was being drug down the bank of the Sag by a wolf. The wolf was the only successful hunter we saw up there. The weather was very cold and windy. I only saw 1 misquito!!!!!! That is crazy in July!!!!!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

"I only saw 1 misquito!!!!!! That is crazy in July!!!!!"

Hmm....God has been listening to my prayers!!! Thanks for the report.

Brett

Been windy and cool for at least a solid week now, kinda depressing seeing all the nice weather back home in Fairbanks and I have to put up with this. Headed home tomorrow from Prudhoe, and I'll be back in a couple of weeks. I'll give it another go on the bou then.

I just got in last night from a run. I saw a few out in the oilpatch and one cow near Franklin. May have missed a few as I was tired and haulin buns to make the top of Atigun for my 10 hr sleep.

Last week there were some nice bulls just inside the 5 mile marker.

The nicest bull I have seen in months was on the north side of Finger Mountain. Go Figgure. The wolves worked that herd pretty hard last winter though.

Will check in from time to time as I can.

On a side note, PLEASE take the time to install a CB in your huntin rig and don't be shy about letting the big rigs know your intentions. All of them are on Ch 19

Also be aware that the rigs use the Roller Coaster (the big dip just north of Sand Hill) one at a time and attain speeds in the eighties in the bottom.
    Listen for the rigs making a run at the ice cut as they start to wind up about two miles out and are haulin @$$ at the bottom. You do NOT want to meet one there. Another bad corner is the 25 mile corner just north of Hess Creek. The southbound trucks will wait on top for the northbound ones clear. Other odds and ends if time permits so we can all be safe and enjoy the Dalton.

My Best,

Scotty (part time archer/ full time Dalton trucker)

Default Great Info

Scotty,
    thanks for sharing the tips on the haul rd. Having never been on it, but want to desperately, this will be my year. Knowing these kinds of tips in advance will go a looooong way for us bowhunters to share the trucking road in a manner to stay out of the truckers way. I think this will go a long way toward preventing any frustration out there...
    Please share any more that you can think of, and pass the word to the other trucker's that we are willing to learn/oblige their right of way on the haul road!

Smile Roller Coaster / Haul Road Driving

If any of you watch Ice Road Truckers, they talk about Roller Coast all the time. The did an excellent job dramatizing that hill, making it worse and scarier than it is.

A bit off point, but Haul Road safety is really, really important. Ditto on CB channel 19.

North of Ice Cut, there are a number of dips in the road in which I have tourist park in. I came over a hill last year, and right at the bottom of the dip, 200 feet away, there was a car. I pulled beside him and we gave him a lecture.

If you are going up the Haul Road, pull way over in areas of good sight distance, both directions. The truckers will do what they can not to rock you, if you are being courteous and pulling over and slowing down. If you are traveling South on the Haul Road, it is especially important to check your rear view mirror frequently. They are usually empty and they do travel faster. They do creep up on you fast, if you are not paying attention.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast