View Poll Results: Which shelter would you get?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hilleberg Tarp 10 UL

5 25.00%
  • Siltarp 2

1 5.00%
  • Siltarp 3

1 5.00%
  • Silshelter

2 10.00%
  • Sildome

3 15.00%
  • Something else?

8 40.00%

Thread: ultralight tarp shelter

Default ultralight tarp shelter

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/R/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/R/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.jpg[/IMG]I'm looking to get an ultralight tarp to use primarily as a shelter while spiking out during a sheep hunt, but possibly for other uses as well.

I'm looking at the integral designs Siltarp 2, Siltarp 3, Silshelter, and Sildome as well as the Hilleberg Tarp 10 UL.

Have any of you had good or bad experiences with these? Any thoughts to share? What would you get?

Hilleberg tarp

Siltarp 2

Siltarp 3

Silshelter

Sildome

Thanks,
    Richard

I've been using this or something very similar to this for the past two years. Granted at 1.7 pounds is not UL but decent for 50 sq ft of space and complete wind break unlike the tarps that just block the rain. My wife doesn't like to day hunt without it during the rain. If she knows we are going to be out all day and its raining when we leave she demands that I take it along. But who can agrue atleast I don't have to get the kitchen pass to get out and hunt when the one that issues these passes is coming along so another 1.7 pounds in my pack I can handle. The setup seems to work well for us anyways. Just another option to look into.

http://www.golite.com/Product/prodde...x?p=SH6122&s=1

Another option you may want to consider is buying a 3 or 4 season tent and using the fly off that tent plus a footprint? You could do this with one of the Hillebergs and other mountaineering tents and have double-use with or without the tent body. I have a 4 season Sierra Designs tent I've done this with and it has worked great (close to 2 lbs w/poles + stakes + floor).

I've heard the Scarp and Rainbow tarp tents are really good. I believe both have floors and are very well made. You could look at them and others at: http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

I usually carry essentially the same thing A.L. takes when leaving spike camp - it is no longer manufactured so far as I know - was made by REI, coated with titanium dioxide, used trekking poles and weighs 18 oz. I think it was called "Twin Peaks" - they subsequently put out another heavier version
    (http://www.backpackingdeals.com/Merc...tegory_Code=T1)
    Hardly ever have to use, but when I do...glad I have it along!

Black Diamond mega mid.

ID Sil Shelter

I've used the outer of my Nallo 2 as well and really love that option, just have to remember the headnet. I've pitched the Nallo 2 outer on wet ground during rain and while the rain continues outside the ground dries out nicely underneath the shelter. I use the Ti Ptarmigan bivy when using the tarp or the tent outer only to protect my bags.

Default oops

Actually thats a Sil TarpII 8x10

Default Hilleberg

So I finally decided. I went into Barney's and ordered the Hilleberg 10 UL. Should be here in a few days.

I decided I would rather have a little more flexibility and lower weight than a nicer "shelter". I've also just been totally happy with my Hilleberg tent.

I have one I bought from Marc at Wiggys Alaska forget the name right now but was very happy with it last sheep season. Light weight and kept myself and my equipment dry so I can't complain, and yes I only took it in and left the tent at home. I need to take some lessons from you guys on setting mine up since yours look way neater than my setup did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another thought is using just the Hilleberg fly from the Akto and not using the inner tent. The whole deal is 3lbs. 5oz., so I would imagine the fly, pole and stakes would run 2 lbs. or so. This set up would be very wind/weather proof. The fly is big enough for you to sleep under it and keep your gear out of the weather. You would also have a whole tent if you ever needed it.

Brett

Our plan is to leave the Nallo set up as a basecamp and use the tarp shelter for 1-2 nights at a time as a spike camp.

If I was doing a warm weather lightweight hunt, I'd probably consider just bringing the fly like you mentioned.

Default Silshelter and Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo

I don't know how it compares to your other choices, but I used the Silshelter the whole length of the Appalachian Trail and for most of the Continental Divide Trail (until it got too buggy) when I switched to the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo which at 23 oz is currently my favorite floored, screened, lightweight single-wall shelter.

My Silshelter has served me very well. Like all tarps, site selection and setup are crucial, but it has always kept me dry in hundreds of nights use. Here it is in action last summer.

Now that you mention it, I will tell you about two real nice, lightweight, and small shelters I use to keep me off rain and such: these are a couple of OD-green camouflaged military ponchos I have from when I was in the military. These are made of a sort of taffeta nylon, and are sort of rectangular in shape when fully opened. They have matte (not shiny) metallic grommets all along the two side edges, and snaps between the grommets. I can press and close these snaps at each side once I have placed the poncho over my shoulder and gotten my head out the hole in the middle, and then push my arms out the sides of the poncho between the two top snaps.

To create a shelter, I make two small A-frames from sticks, tie each A-frame to each end of a long stick (or ridge) to create a sort of roof, and then stretch the poncho over the top. I use four or more elastic rubber straps (sold at NAPA), one hook through each corner grommet, and the other hooks to either tent stakes on the ground, or to small tree roots or trunks.

I make the shelter just high enough for me to sit underneath (without hitting the ridge with my head) on a low outdoors portable chair. I usually have a small stove, food, tea, a lither or two, and water nearby on my ATV, or in a backpack, and bring it to the shelter as needed. Use these shelters during moose season

When there are a lot of bugs around, I open an Army mosquito net-that is made to cover a single-size bed-right under the shelter. This net too is OD-green, and once inside of it, it's very hard to tell if anybody is there. Best of all, it keeps bugs away and I can take a nap on my chair.

Default Hilleberg

Well, I ordered the Hilleberg from Barney's. I set it up the other day on my front lawn and I love it.

One thing that anyone looking for this kind of thing should note is that the weight on this model includes some things that the others may not include. For instance, the stuff sack is built into the tarp. It also has very nice reinforced grommets on 8 different points (each of the corners and in the middle of each side). Included on each of these tie out points is a small section of rope to tie the tarp out with and a tensioner.

With no effort at all (no wind or rain), I was able to set this up on my own in about 3-4 minutes with two poles.

I'll get some pictures posted here when I have time or maybe when I get back from my sheep hunt at the end of the month.

Richard

Any recommendations for those that aren't concerned about weight and want a tarp frame capable of headroom?

-Offers basic A-frame type of design, can add your own tarp? Pole kit?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

With the tarps I looked at, what determines the headroom is the height of the pole you use or whatever you tie it off to (trees). My treking poles are probably about 40-48 inches high, so that is about as high as it will go. Of course the higher that you get this, the more it will be subject to wind.

If you have trees in the area, the sky is the limit. I also experimented with hanging this over the front of my tent. That worked out pretty well. This basically gives me a covered area above the tent to have a little extra dry space.