Thread: Okuma SLV

Default Okuma SLV

I need to buy a new reel for my 3wt, because the reel i currently use,(Ross Flystart), has a base a little too big for the reel seat, so it does not stay on the rod very good. I am thinking about buying a 2-3 Okuma SLV. Has anyone used this reel before? What other reels would you reccomend (preferably for under $90).
    Thanks

Thumbs up Redington

Try this
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...l-3and4wt.html

I've got several of these in larger weights and love them. This is a good price. You can compare the price to www.reelflyrod.com which is where I usually buy from.

I know mine costs just a tad more..but I use a system 2L 5/6 on my 4, 3, and 1 weights and it works just fine. I've also used it on a 6 weight rod, and it worked great here also for bigger fish....very nice drag on it.

Take a look at the Pflueger Trion on sale at Cabelas for $69. I have some on a 4 wt outfit. Not the lightest reels, but a very good value.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...430&hasJS=true

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've got the okuma SLV in the 5/6 weight and like it. Its a great deal for the money. Smooth drag for the price

I have the 4/5 and the 8/9. I love them.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

I had an Okuma SLV in a 5/6. The only thing I did not like about it was the drag adjustment knob. I bought a Ross Flycast 2 and am really pleased with it.

Default Okuma fly reels

The Okuma reels have great drags for the money. I've used a number of the Integrity reels in various sizes and they work great although like any cast reels they are a big heavy and clunky. The star drag adjustment on the previous Integrity reels -I think they changed it this year - was the best adjustment knob I've seen on any fly reel - period.

A couple of years ago I went to the Okuma Helios- these are machine reels with the same great drag system as there cheaper reels. I beleive the smaller sizes run a bit over $100 on EBay and other discount outlets and they are a great value.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by GUZ808 View Post
    I've got the okuma SLV in the 5/6 weight and like it. Its a great deal for the money. Smooth drag for the price
    +1 I have an SVL in 5/6 and it is a great reel.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I have an SLV 7/8 and no complaints. Like others have said nice drag, especially for the money.