Thread: 2nd and 3rd choice question

Default 2nd and 3rd choice question

After six years of drawings and six years of no tags I have to ask, does it do any good to put in for second and third choices or is that a waste of ten more dollars? Does everyone who puts in for a hunt as a second and third choice get to draw with those who selected the same hunt as a first choice? Does anyone ever get drawn for a second or third choice hunt? I know six years is not that many to go without drawing, I am just curious if I am wasting money on the second and third choices.

Mart

I drew my third choice this year and am tickeled!!! To the rest of your questions, I don't have a clue. J.

After 5 years I have won my first tag and it was my third choice. I have often read on this forum that second and third choices are very helpful with winning permits. On that note my wife applied this year for her first time and won a tag with only one choice, go figure.

Scott f

Default yep

mart,

In 19 +- years of applying, I have drawn four tags. Two were second choices.

dennis
    ak tags

I always put in for the maximum amount of choices. I happened to draw my first choice for caribou this year, but my wife got her 2nd choice for caribou and her 3rd choice for goat. Yes, it absolutely pays to put in for more choices.

Default its just ten bucks

like brian i always put in for the max.....i have drawn six tags in five years and only one of them was my first pick
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Last year was my first year applying for tags and I got my first and only choice. Not so lucky this year though.

I agree. I drew my 3rd choice for goat this year, my wife won her 2nd choice for caribou. So you aren't wasting your money at all by putting in for more than one choice for each species.

Default absolutely

I've drawn more than my share of tags and have gotten several on 2nd and 3rd choices. Last year I took a b&c muskox on a 2nd choice.

The interesting thing that I noticed is that of all the tags I've drawn, every single one was the first time that I applied for that indiviual hunt code, except for DI403 which took 2 tries. Random luck is a strange thing. I drew nothing this year.

Default Third Choice as well

Got the DB258 as my 3rd choice...was my first time putting in for Kodiak. I also maxed everything out with donations.

DH

3rd choice sheep last year, 3rd choice goat this year, wife pulled 3rd choice moose hunt last year as well.
    My third choice is usually my no whammies hunt (better odds of draw, less of success). This is what annoys me about the proposals for preference points. Not all sheep hunts are the same. A DCUA tag is far and away better than a Sept Chugach permit. If they make pref points so that a sheep tag is a sheep tag then I would never have a chance to hunt DCUA or TMA unless I only put in for them.
    For those people that put in for 3 valley cow tags every year and fuss that they never get drawn, all I can say is according to the odds you never will get drawn either! Less than 1% is a less than once in a lifetime hunt!

Default Makes no difference

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    For those people that put in for 3 valley cow tags every year and fuss that they never get drawn, all I can say is according to the odds you never will get drawn either! Less than 1% is a less than once in a lifetime hunt!
    Yet you seem to have better odds of drawing after you've drawn before. I don't know how it works, but it seems like once you break the ice and get drawn for the first time, they come easier after that.

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    I am just curious if I am wasting money on the second and third choices.

Mart
    No. The more choices you put in the more chances you have!

The only way your first, second or third choice comes in to play is if you drew 2 permits for the same species (say first and second choice).

If that happens then you will be awarded your first choice and the other permit goes back into the bucket for someone else to draw.

Don't ask me though, I have been putting in for as long as I can remember. I have never ever never drawn anything!!!!!

I've never been drawn for my first choice, but I've drawn a bunch of permits on my second and third choices, so I don't consider that a waste of money. Might be a new strategy right there...

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post

The interesting thing that I noticed is that of all the tags I've drawn, every single one was the first time that I applied for that indiviual hunt code, except for DI403 which took 2 tries. Random luck is a strange thing. I drew nothing this year.
    Yup, with your luck I can totally see how DI403 would take 2 tries....