Thread: Holiday Week In Valdez! Great Time!!!!

Default Holiday Week In Valdez! Great Time!!!!

Well I just spent 6 straight days in Valdez fishing and shrimping. Man you couldnt ask for better weather and there was no smoke until last monday
    Ther was two boats in our party, fortunately mine ran great all week without anyproblems.
    We didnt manage to go out to Bligh Island like I had planned all along, due to the other boat having some mechanical problems. We did how ever manage to find a great producing hole closer to valdez that steadly kept our lines tight when the tide was not to strong. So I will not complain.
    Me and another boat checked pots every 8 hours or so. I can notice alot more pots in the water this year compared to last year. There is also a major problem with people checking other peoples gear. The other boat had one of the 3 pots STOLEN. The reason I say stolen, not drifted is because it was soaking in approx 200'ft of water with a 350' cord attatched. It had two boyes and was set pretty **** close to mineral creek on the harbor side. This pot was weighted to with rebar. It only soaked for 10 hours before we couldnt find it again. I had herd about some problem others were having there before this happened. I guess even out around Jacks they are getting checked to. Fortunately I came home with my 5 pots! I suspect they did get pulled a few times though. Ohh well, I maneged to take home around 600 shrimp in about a week!
    Did have one scary situation though, one set net boat carrying two fisher men got bucked off there boat in about 4ft seas. The boat was spinning around wide open and they were floating in there orange bibs! We were the second boat on the scene and fortunately the firth one there managed to get the two out of the water without anyone getting seriously hurt. The Troopers just let the boat run for about 5 hours until someone was able to board it. Must have ran out of gas, that thing was wide open in a circle for hours traveling about 1 mile or so. Stong engine what ever it is! Scary situation there though.
    Well here are a few pictures......

M O N S T E R Y E L L O W E Y E