Thread: DI403 questions

Talking DI403 questions

How and when do I find out my hunting dates? Also, how long is the hunt? I'm guessing 7-10 days?

Thanks for any help.

The season runs 10/1-3/31 with varying start dates.......ADF&G usually advise you of your start date when they send you the permit......start date is determined by sequence of draw.

In addition, all hunters will start by mid-November at the latest. You'll have somewhere around 5 months to hunt. Some are able to find success right away, but if you want to do it in one trip, I would budget at least 5-7 days the first time around. It takes a day or so to figure out the lay of the land and how the bison behave, so you'll want to be patient.

This year will be different with all either sex tags. ADF&G sent a packet of info with land owners and start dates to everybody in August to September. In the past they gave several sex ID classes on varying dates that was mandatory to attend and this is where you received your permit. In the class they showed you how to sex Bison but not sure if they will continue the class this year. They also gave a package to you for fecal and blood samples of your bison for testing for overall herd health and a Brucelosis test. they also aquired a few other pieces on info from you and informed you how to check your bison out with them. Hunt is long, but early is crowded and later is harder and colder. Have to find balance between. Access is the BIG key. good luck.

Talking Ok

So, I can hunt any time after my start date? I've been applying for hunts for five years now and this is my first time winning a permit. How long until I get my packet from ADF&G? I would like to start planning as early as as possible. Can't seem to get the S!$T eating grin off my face.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Thumbs up

Congrats Marlin, hope you do well on the hunt.

I had my dad put in for the hunt this year and he drew it as well. A couple of the landowners are long time friends of the family, so we are real excited about the hunt and we'll have great access and knowledge of where the animals are. When I pulled up the permits and saw that he drew, I was just as excited as if I had drawn it. My brother and I are going to go on the hunt with him and I plan to film the whole thing.

Default 2 words

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    How and when do I find out my hunting dates? Also, how long is the hunt? I'm guessing 7-10 days?

Thanks for any help.
    ADFG will send you everything you need to know about dates, licenses, etc.

Where? 2 words -- Diane Schultz.

Milo is right......

But it's DianA Schultz......Delta also has a DianE......

Diana tunes in regularly here.....thunder something?......maybe "Groundthunder"...

About half of the Delta Bison harvest takes place on Schultz Farms.

Talking

Guess I need to be patient until I get my information in the mail. Don't want to waste her time with calls and questions until I know when I can go.

Is it worth a scouting trip to Delta? Any other tips would be much appreciated! Thanks for the advance information.

Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post

Is it worth a scouting trip to Delta?
    No. It would be worth showing up a day early before your orientation class so that you can drive around and talk to landowners, but there is little point it scouting it way ahead of time. The bison move around A LOT, though there are certainly some places they frequent more than others.

Thanks Brian. I kinda figured that.

Before you drop $200-$300 bucks to hunt on someones land do some calling around or get there a day or two early and knock on doors. There are actually quite a few farmers up there who are more than happy to let you hunt there land because of the amount of damage the bison do to their crops.

I found tracks leading on to a property and was able to track down the landowner who gave me permission and told me they had 200 bison hanging out on another tract they owned and to bring out anyone else I knew with a permit to thin some of them out.

Needless to say we followed the track into the original tract of land we were asking about and scored that evening.

Being polite and respectfull when approaching landowners can sometimes get you just as far as the offer of cash.

Congrats!!! Hope your hunt is a good one.

Diana S

Smile Thanks Diana

I sent you a message.

Diana, is there a map out there of different farms and their owners? How far in advance should people contact you if they want to reserve a spot?

Jerod - They'll give you a map and most of the landowner phone #s at the required class. As for Diana, unless she is doing it differently this year, it is first come, first served. They do not take reservations.