Thread: Smoker

Default Smoker

I am trying to set up a smoker and have picked up 2 different heating elements one's 750 watts and one is 1000 watts and neither one will burn my chips, any suggestions
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I am trying to set up a smoker and have picked up 2 different heating elements one's 750 watts and one is 1000 watts and neither one will burn my chips, any suggestions
    I don't get it. Such an element should almost turn red hot. I have one electric smoker which is set-up from the factory for the chip pan to sit right on the element, while another smoker is designed so that there are three 3/4" spacers between the bottom of the pan and the element. Both can smoke a ton without any problem. I wet (soaking-wet) the chips before putting them in the pan, and about an hour later both smokers are sending smoke signals like crazy It takes awhile for the chips to dry and produce smoke without a flame (you don't want the later).

Maybe you are using a cast iron pan? If so, find an electric smoker pan. These are small, made of iron, and a lot thinner than a cast iron pan. It takes me at least 12 hours to smoke salmon on a hot day (around 75-degree ambient temp.), which is around 6 to 8 puffs of smoke from each smoker. Each smoke cycle takes around 20 minutes of smoke or longer.

I'm thinking the box that my hot plates in needs the bottom cut out so the hot plate runs cooler and the element will gain in temp, maybe the thermostat in it is telling it to shut off cause the box too hot, maybe.
    Μολών λαβέ

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

IA:
    Did you try a thin pan for the chips?

For the last several years, I've been using coffee cans on a hot plate, and that works fine.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You could try using a replacement big chief element they sell them at walmart for about $14.

Default Cast iron's fine

Its not the pan cause we use a cast iron one in our little chief as we lost the original one.
    Get the element out and try it in the open air to see if it will make 'em smoke before you box it up to rule out the sensor issue.
    Either heater should give you smoke.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Its not the pan cause we use a cast iron one in our little chief as we lost the original one.
    Get the element out and try it in the open air to see if it will make 'em smoke before you box it up to rule out the sensor issue.
    Either heater should give you smoke.
    BK
    Depending on the heat source, (how hot it gets), a THIN pan, or CAN, could make the difference.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

What I got to say is the heck with the hotplate it just doesn't get it hot enough. I ended up cutting a 6 inch circle in my smoker box enough for the pan to sit recessed in it then I set a propane burner under it. Well I have plenty of heat now almost too much. Now I need to locate a single burner cast iron propane cook stove and the proper regulator then I think my halfbred grill/smoker will work aok
    If not guess I'll be the next one with a big chief and my smoker box will be in the scrap pile!
    Μολών λαβέ

ironartist, If you need a hot plate I have a stove eye type with the adjustable temp control knob. It is an individual 6" electric burner. And if that is not hot enough I have another one...
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    IA:
    Did you try a thin pan for the chips?

For the last several years, I've been using coffee cans on a hot plate, and that works fine.

Smitty of the North
    Steel cans around my place are pretty non existant, ya know with the painting I have to do. I still think the smaller propane burner will be my ticket.
    And thank you garnede I appreciate the hotplate offer but after 2 BRAND new ones I'm tired of giving mea funds on wasted power
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Your problem is not serious

Steel cans around my place are pretty non existant, ya know with the painting I have to do. I still think the smaller propane burner will be my ticket.
    And thank you garnede I appreciate the hotplate offer but after 2 BRAND new ones I'm tired of giving mea funds on wasted power
    I'm purty shore a propane burner would be way too hot, (Besides, the open flame would be dangerous.) and the chips wouldn't last long either. ???? (But, maybe not if you're making your own chips, and not using the ones you buy.)

Don'tcha drink coffee? (The kind that comes all ground up in a CAN?) Buy the standard Hot Plate that you see in the stores. (750 Watt) They'll be out of them this time of year. Look for one in the Winter, BEFORE the Salmon season.

Use 2 ea. 3 Lb Coffee Cans, so you can switch off. Empty the cans and fill them outside the smoker, so the dust doesn't get all over your Feesch.

I used Charcoal one year when my Hot Plate, and Popcorn Popper burner crapped out on me. It worked but Lectric is betterer.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

My grill/smoker started life as my bbq grill it's a rolled piece 20" dia. of 1/8" stuff about 3 ' long. To that I hung a 1' square box made of 1/8" also. With the hotplate inside my box it smokes the chips for a few minutes then when the box heats up it fools the thermostat and make it think it's hotter than it actually is and shuts the element off. So then I cut a 6" circle out of my box and mounted the hotplate undernieth and it still generates too much heat. Now I think if I use a small propane single burner cook stove that shouldn't generate to much heat, do ya think
    Μολών λαβέ

Hmmm, My smoker is made outa plywood.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

My grill/smoker started life as my bbq grill it's a rolled piece 20" dia. of 1/8" stuff about 3 ' long. To that I hung a 1' square box made of 1/8" also. With the hotplate inside my box it smokes the chips for a few minutes then when the box heats up it fools the thermostat and make it think it's hotter than it actually is and shuts the element off. So then I cut a 6" circle out of my box and mounted the hotplate undernieth and it still generates too much heat. Now I think if I use a small propane single burner cook stove that shouldn't generate to much heat, do ya think
    I had the same issue with my hot plate. It would shut off after the box got good'n warm. I cut a 2" hole right next to the hot plate and viola! It'll now just keep puff'in away all day as long as there's chips in the pan. The hole allows cool air in right next to the plate. I now can get my smoker up to about 170 degrees. Since yours is steel, should be no problem to blow a hole in it.