Thread: Satellite beacon brings rescuers to stranded kayakers

Default Satellite beacon brings rescuers to stranded kayakers

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/860274.html

Three things - and a question

1 - glad they are ok first of all.

2 - Glad to see the SPOT worked as expected, but not really in an iffy coverage area from what I can tell, so not sure if that's much validation or not.

3 - ADN comments are already comparing this scenario to the 'sunburn rescue' recently and saying that this one was a "true emergency".

I guess this goes back to the old rule for me - if it's not in your pocket then you have to assume you won't have it when things go south.

If they had a knife and waterproof fire making tools would this have been a 'true emergency'?

Although we don't know the details I tend to think not. The river was not desolate - sounds like at least two other rafters made contact with them before rescue. And they were less than three miles from the highway. I tend to think that if I was in this situation I could have made a fire, dried out, and been just fine bushwacking back to the road or waiting for a pickup arranged by one of the boaters that passed me by - rather than the 911 type rescue via beacon.

I guess I disagreed with the 'true emergency' view being taken by some. Especially since other boaters in their party did not lose their boats and they still didn't have necessary gear to make a fire or get warm. I just don't perceive this rescue as much different than the sunburn rescue.

I agree. This looks to be just plain silly. And somebody probably ought to be charged for being stupid on the river.

If there were at least two other boats that came by (one that was traveling with them, and one otherwise), there was no emergency. I don't get it. I read this, and I thought, "What's the matter with these people?" And then I thought, "What's the matter with ADN for reporting it as a rescue?" The whole story is whacky.

But my other thought is that, in my experience, ADN has NEVER EVER gotten right, any story where I was privy to the facts. They have always reported at least some of the facts wrong. Perhaps they did here as well. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I agree. This looks to be just plain silly. .
    +1

Emergency? I call it a lack of perseverance. But in all fairnesss, I wasn't there. And I can honestly say that I never will be. Not under these circumstances. Just another example of folks in the outdoors that are unprepared from the way I read it. Either way, glad nobody got hurt.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Emergency , not

I'm sure the swim cooled them down, but the weather was very warm that day and the conditions were perfect. Strange story. I wonder what the real story is.

Yeah I beached my boat last year up Knik and walked out about 9 miles. Luckily we were able to drive most of the way back but I would have hiked back w/ gear to get her back afloat. Never ever would have even crossed my mind to do anything else! 3 miles? I walk that every day just going to work.

Default trouble

I'm having trouble viewing this, is anyone else? Is the adn site down?

Works for me. Here's the link: http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/860274.html