Thread: 40hp used as a kicker

Default 40hp used as a kicker

My wife and I are looking at getting an ocean boat here in the very near future. It will probably be a glass boat with a cuddy cabin in the 22-24ft range. A couple boats we are looking at don't have a kicker or the owner wants to keep it. I have access to a 40hp Etec that I could use as a kicker but this seems like it might not work. Does anyone know about using a larger motor for a kicker. It would save me 2K on a kicker which is alot. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

I've been searching craigslist and alaskaslist pretty hard but if anyone knows of a decent ocean boat (glass or aluminum) in the 25K-30K range feel free to pass the info along.

It would work. But it would not push your boat any faster than a 8 or 10 hp high thrust motor would.
    My advice would be to sell the 40 and buy the right motor for the job. That is just to much extra weight to be bouncing on the transom and the kicker must be able to to swing down or up and usually glass boats need a kicker in the 25 inch shaft range to be efficent. I doubt you could find an aux. mount that will hold the weight of the 40.
    Tennessee

Good point. I talked to the owner of the boat today and that's exactly what he said. I don't really want to get rid of the 40hp as it will make a great jon boat engine. I guess if we buy the boat I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a kicker.