Thread: Bomber Glacier

Default Bomber Glacier

Anyone been up to the old Bomber wreck site in the Hatcher's Pass area yet this year? I was thinking about a trek up there next week and am wondering what the glacier is like to walk on.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Crevasse

Made the trip up to Bomber Glacier yesterday. I've read many reports about this block of ice and never heard anyone say anything about crevasses there. I have been there a couple times and never found one, but my dog did yesterday. We got him out safely but just be careful on the snow cover. This crack was within 50 yards of the crash site and just slightly above a direct line from where you enter the glacier.

Can anyone give me an idea how long it takes to get to the bomber from the trail head? I've tried to get there twice now with my son but have ended up turning around just past the upper lake. Would really like to get to the plane...
    Last edited by Cari; 07-15-2009 at 23:04. Reason: Spelling

Default time required

Quote Originally Posted by Cari View Post
    Can anyone give me an idea how long it takes to get to the bomber from the trail head? I've tried to get there twice now with my son but have ended up turning around just past the upper lake. Would really like to get to the plane...
    We left the parking lot at 8:15 and were back within 10 hours. It can certainly be done quicker than we did. we stopped for plenty of photos and just to sit and view the scenery.

From where the trail hits the upper lake follow the bank around the left side. You'll come to a snow melt creek running into the lake there. Follow it up onto a bench of boulders. From there we cut straight uphill to some alpine ground to avoid some of the boulder climbing. There is a trail that traverses up to the right from there. We saw a couple of rock piles someone had left along the way.

From the lake you'll see two notches at the lowest point of the skyline up there. The right notch is much easier to get up and down - to and from the glacier. Just need to get yourself up there and look around. You''ll find the best way in and out with plenty of time to spare.

If I was to go today, I'd drop straight down the glacier to less steep ice, before cutting over to the crash site. From my previous post, I'm sure you know why.

Default Thanks!

We've also wondered where the trail was...

I've made it out to the bomber once, it is a good hike. I've been up there a few other times and turned back at the pass above bomber glacier because of bad weather, and another time I got up there early in the year and the bomber itself wasn't even visible yet under the snow.

Round trip takes about 10-12 hours to the bomber and back. Be careful on the glacier, there are small crevasses, the glacier appears to be a snow field, and in late summer you'll find it covered in snow sometimes so it looks rather innocent, but it is a glacier so be careful.

It is a beautiful hike, Reed Lakes on the way up offer some great picture opportunies. Good berry picking along the way too.

Default A picture is worth a thousand words

Yeah those look like crevasses...

Thanks bobble for the heads up! It doesn't look like we will make it there this year - hopefuly next August.

Default Looks like a neat trip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjgJbpy84vQ

This guy just recently posted this video, its 3 parts and I personaly enjoyed it.
    they took 2 or 3 days I guess by looking at google earth I'm surprised you can accomplish it in 10 hours. If that is the case I will for sure make the trip.
    The scenery really is top shelf.
    I with no glacier experience would like heads up on the crevase issue, would I be better off in the spring?
    thanks in advance..
    Last edited by LuJon; 08-31-2009 at 07:11.

The glacier is not that bad as long as you can see the crevasses in it. If you wait until too late in the year, the snow falls and covers them up. I'd say this is about the latest you can go, once September arrives, there is usually fresh snow covering the glacier.

Default thanks luJon

I know I should spend some time in the forum tips section.
    I could learn a bunch. I once tried to insert some photos and am always amazed when you guys paste the big full size photos, I got lots to learn..
    Looks good and thanks again..

canyon....