Thread: Biking around Seward

Default Biking around Seward

Hello,

I've lived here my entire life but have never been to Seward!!! My wife and I are taking our 3 kids (4 and under) and staying at millers landing for a few nights to get an idea of what is around, then we may look at other places near moose pass. (Primrose? something like that.)

My question is if anyone knows any good trails that I should ride while in seward. I'm the only one that will be riding so I don't want to be away from the family for more than 8 hours, are there any trails nearby that I should check out?

Thanks in advance.

Smile Seward

Well, probably the nicest ride would be to just start from Millers landing and ride all the way out to exit glacier. It is a beautiful ride with not much traffic and the family could meet you there to picnic. A fun ride and pretty short would be ptarmigan lake trail but its up near Kenai lake. Lost lake trail starting in lost lake subdivision near the fire station coming into town would be a nice one also.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Seward has the best riding in the state, hands down. Best trail: lost lake. Take the south side, starting at lost lake subdivison, up to the top of the ridge just before the lake, and back down. This trail will take you between 2-4 hours usually depending on your skill level. About 12 miles round trip. If you are fast and want to go on a epic adventure, you can take lost lake all the way to kenai lake and back. It is about 28 miles round trip, each side of the trail is a little different, and should take you about 6 hours if you stay on it. That is the best way to go if you really want to see seward riding.

If you are staying at millers, tonsina is a nice ride. There are a few technical spots in the trail, but more fun, right? About 3 miles round trip.

You can ride the iditarod from nash road to bear lake, or from bear lake to mile 13. Not too bad a trail, not as much up and down as the others though. They did a lot of work on the bear lake to mile 13 section the last couple of years.

Ressurection river trail: just keep going up until it gets too thick for you, then turn around, it is a wilderness trail.

Ptarmigan creek: 3.5 miles to ptarmigan lake, at mile 18 on the highway. Sort of technical, some rooty spots. Nice views of the valley the creek is in though.

Overall, I would have to say, do lost lake. If you are going riding in Seward, you have to ride lost lake. Awesome trail.

Default Thank you

Thank you both for the information. Due to the flood and getting trapped at Millers with 3 kids under 4 I was not able to make time to ride. But now I know where to go. Thanks!

I think in the future I'll stay at a different campground. I am eager to check out the lost lake trail.