Thread: Power steering fluid

Default Power steering fluid

I have a hewes Sea Runner. I can not find in the manual where it says what type of fluid to use. DOes any one know what type or can recomend what type to use?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Power Stering Fluid?

AK Gray,

While I in no way consider myself knowledgable about boats and mechanics in general, I beleive there are 2 popular types of steering setups for boats: Hydraulics and Cable/chain. The most popular setup for large boats is the hydraulic steering. I believe the brand I have is SeaStar (?).

I did a little bit of research on this when I had a small leak in my setup. All you have to do is add basic hydraulic fluid to your steering system and bleed out any air in the system. For instance, in my setup, the 'add' hole in just behind my steering wheel. I would add fluid until it was full and then turn the wheel all the way one direction and then all the way the other direction and then bring it back to straight, thus 'bleeding' the air out of the system. Then I would add more fluid and repeat the 'bleeding process' until I didnt have to add anymore fluid.

As I said before, I don't know all that much about mechanics, but when I did my research, everywhere I looked it called for 'hydraulic fluid'. Now, I don't know if power steering fluid and hydraulic fluid are different, but since everyone I talked to said that I needed hydraulic fluid that is what I used. Besides, I was able to pick up a gallon at Ace Hardware for $3 or $4 and I don't think I could have come close to that price with power steering fluid.

Well, for what it was worth.

-- Gambler

Thanks. I will stop by Deweys and pick some up.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Steering fluid

It is called SeaStar and Dewey's has it. I keep a couple of pints on the boat. You should have seen me pulling away from the dock at Seward when my steering fluid was low. It's funny now....

My friend last year in seward power stering was low and could not steer the boat. Had to get towed in.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Does your seastar helm use a vented plug or unvented? I have been using dextron III ATF in the hydraulic steering. I get some leaking out the vented plug in helm and have been considering getting a solid plug.