Thread: Mesh covers

Default Mesh covers

Are the mest covers better than the standard covers. What are the advantages, I already have 2 set of normal covers for my 7GCBC, and been offered a set at a good price.

Terry

Default If they have the spoilers

they will destroy lift AND won't wear off the paint. Plain mesh is ok I guess. Spoilers on them rock.

Default Mesh covers

They work OK, the only downside is that with freeze thaw they stick to the wings and leave some ice buildup after you rip them off. Also for some reason Ravens took a likeing to one of the sewn on spoilers and pulled out a lot of the stuffing ... go figure.

Alaska Wing Covers in Eagle River. Have Linda make up some covers with the spoilers, nylon and a mesh band right behind the spoilers. The mesh will allow any air out from underneath them without billowing. The nylon will hold snug with very little rubbing if any, and the spoilers are great killing all of the lift right up to very high wind speeds. First rate work, very reasonable price and a really neat Lady.

Default 2nd that on Linda's Covers

She makes the best ones, and she will fix anything if it wears or breaks!

I've had mesh covers for a long time and almost never use them. The only time they come out is to double over my regular covers for a little buffeting protection when I leave town for a few days. In my case the mesh covers serve well to keep my solid covers tight. The combination offers the best of both worlds and the only down-side is the added effort to install and remove them. Mesh covers on their own are near worthless to me. The best solution in the wind is to take your covers off.

I haven't tried the semi-vented covers but they seem to be a good compromise. In any case spoilers take too much room when stowed. I always take covers off in the wind.

I do alot of flying in the winter plus work out of town. After getting the mesh covers with spoilers i leave them on when not a home for that matter i never take them off. They have been on in 80+ mph winds. They do have a draw back on leaving little when pulled off but for me it's better than the 1" of ice that you have to deal with a couple of times a season.