Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: filleting salmon

Default filleting salmon

I was trying to find a video that was posted here last year by a guide in Seward. It was how he was able to fillet salmon quick. Does anyone know how to find it? I tried , but no luck. Maybe its not here anymore? Probably be more people interested this time of year if any one comes across it.

This guy makes it look easy, but don't think it's the video you are talking about. I do it similar, but usually don't gut the fish first! Oh the days of working the slime line to pay your way through college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNo9H...eature=related

he makes it look easy with a smoking sharp knife . Dunno why he cuts that second cut like that though....that first fillet is cleeean!

If you can afford to lose that much meat, then more power to you.

Check out the comments section of the vid....

"cutting fast don't mean $hiat if your yield sucks"

I personally harvest very few fish. If I kill it, I'm going to strive for maximum meat yield from each carcass.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

I personally harvest very few fish. If I kill it, I'm going to strive for maximum meat yield from each carcass.

You make a good point! No need to fillet that fast just to impress.

fishNphysician also had a very good photo sequence he posted a year or two ago showing his technique for taking apart salmon, which I think works great for big fish.

Yea, thats not the video I was thinking of, but impressive with that knife. How do they keep them sharp all day cutting all those ribs? The video I saw was clean fillets, no bones, and quick. And not much waste if you save the bellys separate for canning or smoking and save the heads for your favorite native lady for her soup. But it was super fast.

Default waste

There really is not that much waste. Enough to make a few sushi rolles maybe..

He is fast but he is also a hack. If you dont care about yeild he is great

fishNphysician posted an awsome tutorial here or on a different board. It is an excellent tutorial. Anybody have a link to that?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    fishNphysician posted an awsome tutorial here or on a different board. It is an excellent tutorial. Anybody have a link to that?

Here ya go....

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....9&postcount=85
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Wow, great photo series, thanks!

definatly different .....

Default cut em close

my grandpa used to test me by trying to read a newspaper through the carcass....that was back in michigan with bluegill (white-clear meat)..little harder to do with salmon but the fast remains the same...leave little behind....and don't neglect the belly thats the best part.....just leave head guts fins and bones
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Hey Doc great tutorial. One Question though is it important to gut and gill the fish first? Or can you have at it stream side. Thanks Jeff

Yes, the method works on an intact fish, but you have to modify the cross cuts a bit by stopping shy of the ventral midline by 1.5 to 2.0 inches. You'll be left with a belly slab about 3 to 4 inches wide, maybe a little wider on a really big fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The KeenEye MD

Here's a before and after on a Kenai fish (sorry for the bloody mess... obviously suboptimal blood-letting before I started carving on this one). Belly slab can come off as a separate piece, or as a single unit with the collars. The belly/collar slab in my left hand weighed 9 pounds. Why anyone would throw out that much PRIME protein is beyond me (my favorite parts of the fish!), but I see it on a daily basis in that camp.
    The KeenEye MD

Here's a fat Columbia River tule king buck my daughter caught last year that I carked in the boat.

The prized belly slab in my hands was put on the BBQ a few hours later..... MMMMM, MMMMM, GOOD!
    The KeenEye MD

This year I tried my deep bellied skinning knife kinda like an ulu, skinned the meat right off the ribs. Then used a butcher knife flat on my board and pulled the skin right out from under the meat. Bet I didn't loose an ounce of meat per fish. Now lets see if I can use the same technique next year.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Electric carving knives?

Have you ever tried an electric carving knife? Like the kind you carve Hams and Turkeys with? They cost 12 bucks and will fillet 70 to 100 reds before the blades get dull. I then just go buy another one. I can fillet a red in @20 seconds without having to gut the fish. You just have to feel for the backbone once you slice behind the head and then run the blade down to the tail. Flip and do the other side.
    This is the preferred method if you dipnet and have a lot of fish. I bring a 750 converter and can hook up to a truck battery or a boat battery.
    Once home, you will have to cut away the belly bones but that takes all of 30 seconds, That happens while you are washing your fillets off at home, just prior to processing. I find it easy fast and very little waste... but it takes a little pratice.
    Will not work for kings cause the blades need to protrude out both sides of the fish at the same time. Kings are too wide for the blades. Try it, I love the h-ll out of it.

The belly/collar slab in my left hand weighed 9 pounds. Why anyone would throw out that much PRIME protein is beyond me (my favorite parts of the fish!), but I see it on a daily basis in that camp.
    I agree, best part of the fish! When we get home and start cleaning our fish, the collars and bellies go straight to the grill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast