Thread: Water dog question

Default Water dog question

There is a remote chance that I may be getting a job on Prince of Whales Island. I am from the South and have never hunted North of Montana. I have Black Labs and English Cockers. After checking out the web I don't see many Alaska hunters or guides duck hunting with dogs. Are there any crazy dangers that I don't know of. I also wondered what kind of upland hunting there might be in that area. Thanks for any and all comments

I know plenty of hunters that use dogs duck hunting, mostly labs but by no means all. That's around Anchorage, not POW, so I'm not sure of that area.

I hunt with my lab around here with no problems. There are excellent upland game opportunities up here. Lots of grouse and ptarmigan, and snipe, although they are probably not categorized as upland game.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

A friend of ours is a guide out of Valdez. He uses a dog he got from us out in the salt. He says the dog does fine, but he uses a chamois to keep her dried off between retrieves.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

On POW island there should be blue grouse and way up high in the alpine tundra there might be a ptarmigan or two. Your English Cockers might not enjoy being wet for hours on end and climbing over 4 ft diameter logs in the forest. There are a lot of logging roads to get around on so that you don't have to slog the whole day in the forest to get up to some bird country.

Here is a neat little piece on spruce hens on POW.

All my forest grouse hunting along the coast has been done with a .22 pistol shooting them out of a tree or on the ground while they scratch. They are true "fool hens" if they are constantly harassed.

The duck hunting in South East can be really good if you can get on a boat and get to a tidal marsh where the migrators are staging for food and fresh water.

Here is a link to J&J Charter Service showing that there are indeed duck guides with retrievers on POW Island. Your internet searching skills need some serious improvement.

There are a few black bears on POW as well as black tailed deer.

I lived on POW for 9 yrs and there is good waterfowling there...

most of your waterfowling will be on tidal flats, and I did mostly jump shooting..if you have a boat, you will be well off cause then you can get out into the water and try for divers and such....

there is not a lot of pressure there, and as a result you don't necessarily get the birds moving around a lot, as you might in other places (thus the jump shooting...LOL)...

Red Lake (I think that is what it is called) is another good place... It's been yrs since I've been there, so names are not coming to mind as easily...

The water is cold... make sure your lab has a vest... or get a chessie

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!