Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Days to Sheep

Default 30 Days to Sheep

Just wondering what mode of transportation are you hunters using this year for sheep. Logistically it can get pretty expensive, especially to get into the really remote areas.

On another note, have any of you run into Outfitters out there while hunting, and how were you treated.

I'll be going in on foot. Of course, it'll be a 14C permit hunt that is only accessible on foot or by horseback. I am the pack mule on this one. I may get in a late season, road system, foot-accessed hunt as well...but I'd peg my odds of success at less than 10% on that one. The real sheep hunt for me this year will not include me pulling the trigger, but that's fine. I really enjoy helping new hunters in their pursuit of game, particularly sheep.

Default Sheep hunt

Flying back into the Brooks on the 9th. Its definatly getting pricey. Hillbilly

I'll be going in on foot and out on packraft with a ram on the bow hopefully. Saw 13 different rams in one day of scouting the area so hopefully I'll be able to do some good this year....provided all the smoke has cleared out by then so I can actually see something on the mountains.

We're hiking in to the Brooks this year. First time in the Brooks for me and my friend SilvertipGriz. We drew DCUA walk in a fews years ago and connected on two rams. Hopefully we won't have to hike in 20 miles this time

Good stuff, Snyd. The next time school doesn't start so early for me, that's what my wife and I will be doing. We start on the 13th this year and 12th next year , but someday the calendar will shift and I'll be able to pull off a solid 5-7 day hunt again. I miss it.

Good luck to you!

Default Use all of your personal days.

Brian, As a fellow teacher I feel you pain.
    We are starting on the 10th this year and the 10th next year. I keep using my personal days for Labor Day weekend and extend it.
    It is about the only thing that you can do.

On the other hand, we have time in the summer to scout.
    Just hope the rams that you have pinned down aren't in a meat locker by the time labor day comes.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Well, it looks like I'll be taking an ATV, then LPC's (leather personnel carriers). Had a fly in booked with Copper Valley Air, but the other guy had to cancel and they won't take me solo. Good thing about it is it makes me more flexible time/date wise versus being tied to whenever Copper Valley can put me in and pick me up. Bad news is competition will likely be higher. Either way, I'm planning to give 'em heck!

You guys that are walking in, must have alot of time on your hands. I wanted to do the walk in into the Talkeetnas and started planning it early this year but after talking to the Bio, "legal sheep" are "slim pickins" if doing a walk in, and I don't have the leave time to walk into deep remote areas. So...Gonna give it a try in the AK range for 10 days or so. Hope the fires die down by then for visibility purposes.

Default Coldfoot

Brooks range for me too. I arrive in unit 24C on the 11th and hike in from there. know I at least have a ten mile hike because I have to meet the 5 mile in rule off the Dalton.

Boot leather baby!

Been trying to get in shape but still not positive if or when I'll be able to get out of work for a sheep hunt. If I can make things work I'll be taking ATV about 17 mile in then another 8-10 on foot.

I have a Bettles caribou flyout with a buddy form outside that's going to limit my sheep hunting opportunities this year. Also have a friend with a goat tag that's helped me on a coulpe of hunts so it's time I return the favor and help him chase down a billy. It's funny, I'm as excited to help him chase a goat and play packer as I am to do my own hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Just wondering what mode of transportation are you hunters using this year for sheep. Logistically it can get pretty expensive, especially to get into the really remote areas.

On another note, have any of you run into Outfitters out there while hunting, and how were you treated.
    Flying in to the same spot in the Brooks that produced two nice rams for us last year. The charter cost is quite expensive, but the solitude and abundance of sheep in the area makes it worthwhile.

As to your second question, I have run into guides on several hunts in other parts of the state and have always had good interactions. Even had one guide share some pancakes and bacon with me and my partner!

I am ready to go sheep hunting!!

Default Good luck...

Good luck to all who will have the chance to get out!

I'll have to join the whiny teacher's club and say that I have no immediate sheep/early caribou plans until the calendar shifts-saving my days for a deer hunt this year. I'll be returning for a long family camping trip to Valdez/McCarthy around opening day.

Good luck to all.

BTW, any word on the EIS they are doing around Nabesna Road? I can't remember when it is due?

Tim

What does EIS stand for?

enviromental impact statement

Default ah, ok...

Would that affect ATV access on the north side of the road?

Its a bike in for me, followed by a heathly hike, don't get to go till late aug., we are doing 3 field workouts a week, 2 short after work, one long most weekends, just trying to be in the best shape possible.

Will be my first Dall sheep hunt, hoping to make the best of it, can't wait, hitting dirt in 43 days but who's counting?

We chopper into the Mackenzies.....It's a $1500 drop off and the same for a pick-up.....just over an hour.....that's up $400 per leg from last year.

7 more days of kraft dinner and we're in

tm

I will be flying in this year then boating a few miles, then hiking 8-15 miles.. Flying in on the 7th, hopefully weather will be good, so we will have plenty of days of glassing before opening day...

Counting each day!! Cannot wait to get out...

Nutzotins for me, fly in on the 9th. Hoping for better weather than last year, it couldn't get any worse so that's something to look forward to.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast