Thread: Kenai River: North or South bank and why??

Default Kenai River: North or South bank and why??

Just like the title says. Would you rather dipnet from the north or south bank of the Kenai and why? Trying to decide which side to go to. In the past I've had about equally bad luck from both.... I'm still fairly new to the Kenai dipping and trying to dial in my plans/spots.

Default South!

South side, as my B&B sits right by the pay shack and free parking area! Since I never sleep in July since I bought it, bring on the people! I'm getting used to it. I'll be walking down there trying to pick up a few myself this weekend.

Good Luck Dippers!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Sounds like a good reason to vote for the south side

Default Check out the channel

If I were not in a boat I would be on the South Bank.

Default Mud or sand?

If you have a four wheel drive, it's a no brainer. South side has sand and you can keep your truck nearby. Not like the North side. Must park in lot.
    Good luck. If you can hook up with a boat, go for that. It is sooo much easier!!!!

Default great attitude

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    South side, as my B&B sits right by the pay shack and free parking area! Since I never sleep in July since I bought it, bring on the people! I'm getting used to it. I'll be walking down there trying to pick up a few myself this weekend.

Good Luck Dippers!

Claude
    Thanks for having such a great attitude toward dipnetters. It is not uncommon for the residents there in your neighborhood to dislike them as a group due to the rude behavior of a very visible few. One example is your neighbor that lives directly inland from that pay shack and area. Last year the guy working that pay shack told me that his brand new, tall, mostly vision-blocking fence between his property and the pay are was purchased with my fees I'd paid to drive on and camp on the public lands of the beach - which btw were about tripled last year; its $30/day to do that there last year. Oh yeah, and the guy said that same property owner had bought the place less than a year before - hey its already worth more, since its now got such a nice fence separating it from the unwashed public.

But every year we all see some idiot who drives inland across the beach grass (past the many signs that say not to) just for fun, or that does publicly something that should be done in private right in front of a neighbor of your's property - your neighbors do deserve to see only one moon and it should be in the sky, if you ask me.

Can you post what the fees are this year? It'll be on the sign at the pay shack as of right about now I'd wager.

Default Dipping South side

Family Man,
    As I'm sure you know, that is my place, and the person getting the new fence was me and my family. I've been a dipper since it started, and purchased this place a couple of years ago. My place and the pay shack is on Borough Land, not the City of Kenai. We knew we had a battle to gain some control of the area, as I only lived a few blocks from here previously. Several issues came up. For one, the parking area in front of my house clearly is posted no camping, but several folks camp there, and there were a couple of instances where grass fires were started right in front of us. Nearly every day, men and women would pee right toward the house, some even stepping into the yard to do thier business. The final straw was my little boy, who was 4 when we purchased the place, got chased by dogs. This happened several times until we could no longer have him go out and play. In one case, a dog chased him into the house screaming, and the dog growled at the door. When I went to get the dog off my property, the dogs owners got nasty with me! None of these were isolated incidents. The city of Kenai, who is making all the money, would not help police the area even a little bit. The borough, even though their land, refused to do anything about the area, as they said it was the cities problem, since they run the dipnetting. The troopers wouldn't do anything, as they weren't sure of the jurisdiction.

Another issue was that the Kenai City Limits start on the next street down. The resident of the city over there complained enough a few years ago to limit parking and traffic, and they moved the main access over here to borough land.

So while I know it was only a select few folks, those types of folks caused issues every day. Your comment about the unwashed public was a little uncalled for, since I'm normally one of of the 'unwashed public' you speak about.

And the fence doesn't block the view of the oceans and mountains, but I would still rather not have it there, as it blocks some view. I did not ask for the fence, I asked for a little better policing and control of the area, and enforcement of the rules in place, which is no camping, and no overnight parking anywhere but on the beach itself. The city, borough, and troopers got together and decided it was cheaper to put a fence, rather then hire someone to keep some order in the area.

I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions about the the situation. I don't see a price on the pay shack. The only signs this year say 'city of Kenai' and 'Stop'.

As noted, I'm all for dipping, outdoors and public access, but when it came to endangering my family, it had to gain some order. To say again... I did not ask for the fence, I asked for some policing of the area.

Now, I'm doing a small rv park here for the folks that don't want to fight with finding a place to park, have thier kids be harrased, and just want to get away from some of the commotion and such.

Good Luck and happy dipping to all! I'll be down there as much as I can afford to pay the entry fee to the beach!

Claude

Default Lets hear about

the RV park??

"Now, I'm doing a small rv park here for the folks that don't want to fight with finding a place to park, have thier kids be harrased, and just want to get away from some of the commotion and such"
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default hey denalihunter

Sorry dude, that just sucks! Whenever you get that many folks in one spot the bad apples do seem to shine don't they. But peein in your yard man that is low~!

Default Details

Really not an rv park, but we'll provide power if you bring your own cord. Mostly we do it for friends, and this year we've expanded to folks on the forums here. Most everyone on the forums seems pretty decent, so we thought 'why not?' We don't advertise or put signs out. We can get 4 or 5 rv's in here comfortably. The details are on the link below. Looks like folks are showing up here in the last 30 minutes. I'm seeing a few tops of rv's over the fence!

We provide hose, crude table, and such, wireless internet if you can pick it up from your spot. As long as you haul your own fish waste back to the water, it should be a nice place to stay.

The pic's in the link show's right where we are located if you've ever fished the south side.

http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/kena...hbb/index.html

Good Luck!

Claude

Thumbs up Very Nice

and $45 is dirt cheap to have a nice semi private place to park and then not have to fillet bent over in the surf.
    I hope you continue to do well in all your ventures, you really seem to treat people right.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Red face I apologize

Family Man,
    As I'm sure you know, that is my place, and the person getting the new fence was me and my family.
    I apologize. No, I didn't know. I was just saying what the guy in the shack had told me. I didn't mean any offense and I'm sorry if it appeared otherwise. When you said you had a B&B on the south beach it never occurred to me that place was yours; there are many places in that neighborhood that could be either luxury homes or B&Bs - and a few probably are.

I've been a dipper since it started, and purchased this place a couple of years ago. My place and the pay shack is on Borough Land, not the City of Kenai. We knew we had a battle to gain some control of the area, as I only lived a few blocks from here previously. Several issues came up. For one, the parking area in front of my house clearly is posted no camping, but several folks camp there, and there were a couple of instances where grass fires were started right in front of us. Nearly every day, men and women would pee right toward the house, some even stepping into the yard to do thier business. The final straw was my little boy, who was 4 when we purchased the place, got chased by dogs. This happened several times until we could no longer have him go out and play. In one case, a dog chased him into the house screaming, and the dog growled at the door. When I went to get the dog off my property, the dogs owners got nasty with me! None of these were isolated incidents.
    Yes, I mentioned a few of these types of rudeness in my post too, and as I said then it is sad that the poor behavior of those people definitely affect how people perceive all of us dipnetters. That their behavior continues year after year does not bode well for our sport and the gathering of our winter meat - it worries me.

The city of Kenai, who is making all the money, would not help police the area even a little bit. The borough, even though their land, refused to do anything about the area, as they said it was the cities problem, since they run the dipnetting. The troopers wouldn't do anything, as they weren't sure of the jurisdiction.
    Yes, I've heard this exact thing also. That neither will get involved in anything less than violence. That situation doesn't bode well either.

Your comment about the unwashed public was a little uncalled for, since I'm normally one of of the 'unwashed public' you speak about.
    I'm sorry; that was a poor choice of words. Ironically, when I'm there, I'm quite unwashed too. When I get home I smell awfully of sweat and fish, but have a smile on my face and winter meat for my family.

I asked for a little better policing and control of the area, and enforcement of the rules in place, which is no camping, and no overnight parking anywhere but on the beach itself.
    I agree that you should have the same sort of law enforcement next to your property as I do here next to mine. And I agree that you don't have that now. If there is anything that one lone dipnetter can do to help get you what you deserve and need here, please post it here and I'll help - I promise.

Now, I'm doing a small rv park here for the folks that don't want to fight with finding a place to park, have thier kids be harrased, and just want to get away from some of the commotion and such.

Good Luck and happy dipping to all! I'll be down there as much as I can afford to pay the entry fee to the beach!

Claude
    It sounds to me like you are making yummy lemonade out of the lemons that surround you each July, as I said in my first post, I applaud your attitude. Again, Claude, please accept my apology, my best wishes for your good fortune and times this July, and my offer of help if there is anything I can do.

Default No worries at all!

All is definitely well. I appreciate your reply, and I was glad to have the oppourtunity to clear that up. I had a discussion with the City of Kenai and the pay shack workers last year about making certain they weren't mis-leading folks about me and my family, and the fence and such. We had many of our friends come back and say the pay shack guy was not saying good things about us. So I can see your point of your original post with the information you had, but hopefully now the correct information will get out.

We camp and travel the entire state every year, but we always remain respectful to the neighboring houses and other people camping around us. It would be nice if we all acted the with respect to the people in our surroundings.

We did know what we were buying and knew the challenges with living here on the beach access. We do enjoy the hustle and bustle of all the fisherman and happy faces. I just didn't count on the utter and complete lack of respect that some folks show. I figured it would be a little noise and such, but nothing like what we have seen. Two years ago, I walked out by back door, and very politely asked a lady if she could turn off her generator that was bellowing right toward the house at midnight. She started cussing and screaming at me with my 4 year old standing right next to me.

At this point, we enjoy the peacefulness the fence brings with it, we still dipnet every chance we get, and we are friendly with everyone that we meet down here. It is a fun time! We have two nice rooms we rent out for the B&B, and letting a few rv'ers camp here is going to be enjoyable for us and them.

No need to do anything for us, as I think we have everything handled at this point. Stop by and have a cup of coffee anytime!

Claude

Default cup of coffee

Thank you Claude. Again you show great understanding and a great attitude in the face of unpleasantness (and worse) caused by some. If you think of anything that a regular Joe-schmoe dipnetter could do to help with the enforcement fingerpointing, please let me know or post it here and I bet many here would come to your aid.

I'm glad you rattled their tree regarding what the guy in the pay shack is saying. The account that I relayed on this thread is very exactly what he said to me - and it sounds like its just plain unfair and wrong.

I'd like to take you up on that cup of coffee in about a week or two. Should I bring my own half and half?

Thanks again.

Thumbs up Half & Half?

Only if your half and half is spelled B-A-I-L-E-Y-S! lol We can sit of the upper deck and watch the for fish jumping so we know when to go down with our nets!

Default they have that brand of half and half here too!

That sounds great, but only later in the day and between good tides. I'll call first to see if you're home, or down there getting your own winter meat.

I'll be wearing neoprene waders, green wading shoes, kinda tall/thin, and the "blond" is starting to come back to my hair again (only around the edges) after departing a few decades ago. Oh, and I'll be the guy carrying a bottle of "half and half".

You got a good chuckle out of the wife and I with the baileys comment. That's our mainstay creamer for any camping venture.

I spent two hours on the N bank on Tuesday, landed 46 fish in two hours, and had at least 20 get out of my net. I could have easily gotten my limit of 65 if I'd fished another hour. In 3 hours we had all the fish cleaned and on ice in the truck, thanks kids And looking at the sonar count, Tuesday was a good, but not phenominal day. I came in with 3 fish my first time out, and at times I'd have 2-3 fish in the net as soon as I dropped it in the water.

I fish the N shore because that's where I started dipping on Kenai 5-6 years ago, and so long as I show up when they are running, I have no problems filling up the coolers in short order.