Thread: Hunter reminder during off-season

Exclamation Hunter reminder during off-season

IT'S ALL ABOUT BROADHEAD FLIGHT! Don't lose sight of that.

From the humble beginnings of stick and string, it has always been about the archer's ability to kill with lethal points.

If you've got perfect broadhead flight during hunting season, why would you tinker with that in order to make holes in paper during the off-season?

Tune your bow for broadheads, not practice points. Find a broadhead that tunes well to your bow and stick with that broadhead. I recently got my Cabela's Archery Catalog and there are more broadheads than any other piece of gear. It's ridiculous! Don't fall for marketing hype if you've got perfect flight and great penetration already.

Make your practice points fly like your broadheads, not your broadheads fly like your practice points. This may require a change in practice points to match broadhead flight. Try a different brand, weight, or shape to shoot similar to your broadhead grouping. I've found that 85-grain points fly lock-step with my 100-grain broadheads. No more sight adjustments or gear changes from season to season.

Just a thought...

I may be wrong...

Taylor

-[]------->

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Don't fall for marketing hype if you've got perfect flight and great penetration already.
    I'll second that notion. I am no expert archer, but I've been using Thunderhead broadheads for going on 10 years now, and they still fly true for me. I've been tempted to try something else, but my Thunderheads fly where I aim them, so I haven't seen much point in changing.

hell at this point I just want to draw my bow again without wincing in pain..has been 2 months with a shoulder injury..might end up having to throw in the towel for this year

Tradbow - BUMMER. You walk for me and I'll shoot for you! I'm hobbling on a (Feb) broken leg.

So I take it Tradbow will be getting a Crossbow...? Heehee

Taylor

-[]------->

I'll quit hunting before I shoot a xgun ...or compound

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    or compound
    Guy that I work with who is a die-hard traditional guy (makes his own and everything), went to 'training wheels', as he calls it. I guess I'll stick with mine also...

Marc, thanks for the post!

well let me add here...before I sound like a pompus a@#$

I personally dont care to use them...I dont condone the guy who does...wheels or xguns that's fine by me...but I will never hunt/shoot one. I'll quit hunting before I have to go there.

That said I'd love to find a great hunting partner, dont care what they shoot! well if they shoot a gun, we'll have to talk to be sure they understand what it takes to be a traditional bowhunter..otherwise it wont work, have already gone there a few times. Most people don't unforntunatly!