Thread: Gerstle River

Default Gerstle River

I'll be hunting in the DCUA this fall in the Gerstle River area. I have heard that this can be a tricky river to cross at times, but I haven't been able to get much information beyond that.

I'd be interested in hearing about any experiences on crossing the Gerstle River or July Creek near their confluence.

Richard

early or late hunt.? should not be as bad later.
    best bet is to camp near july creek and gerstle and cross first thing in AM.
    tried it at noon one time mid aug-( 1980 ) had been raining for 18 hrs. we had 80 degree days we were coming out. we each had a sheep i made it across , truely most scared for the longest period i have ever been. water to mid thigh rolling on to my abd. could hear big rocks rolling and had trouble getting feet to plant as water washed gravel out from under them.
    my partner got soaked we had rope (parachute cord) from his waist to his pack then i was holding other end that helped him get to my side. he ripped out leg of rain pants crossing and everthing was wet and cotton.
    we always have crossed near where rivers come together ( 300-400yard ) area
    following year my 13 y.o. son drew permit missed 42-44 " class ram with his bow crappy weather rain, snow 40-50 mph cross winds. I used raft to get him and his sister across river. ended up using my 300 next day and got a nice 38 x40 ram , bigger than mine the year before 35 X 38. for his hunt prepositioned equipment using 3 wheeler to july creek before season and recovered it in Oct.

good luck
    Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

We're flying into the July Creek strip on August 26th.

Default Late season DCUA...

Them waters should not be a concern in late August unless it has been raining really hard. The hot weather in early Aug can cause the glacial rivers/creeks to raise dangerously, but the temps should be low enough in late Aug so that glacial melt does not pose a threat.

Just cross at the braided sections. Only 1 mile up July Creek is a "pinch point". You might have to do a few yards of bushwhacking to get around it. After that July Creek is easy hiking and beautiful.

(Lots of specific info in the last year of archives...)

Dennis
    AK TAGS