Thread: Why do huskies do this???

Default Why do huskies do this???

My husky LOVES to dump his water on hot days, or so it seems! I hate the fact that I have to water this dang dog alla time when it's hot because he's dumped his water. I have to pack water so it's pretty tedious that he dumps his water.

Anyone know why he does this? He'll do this with his dog food as well, & won't eat it after it's "touched" the ground. What gives?

He does it because he can and because he knows you'll bring him more... Dogs can be funny like that, everytime you have to bring him more water, he gets your attention...

It sounds cruel to some maybe but after he dumps his food or water, try taking the bowl (and the food) away and not giving him more until the next day. Repeat as necessary, they can learn....a dog will not starve itself to death or die of dehydration before they learn to appreciate what you give them...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    He does it because he can and because he knows you'll bring him more... Dogs can be funny like that, everytime you have to bring him more water, he gets your attention...

It sounds cruel to some maybe but after he dumps his food or water, try taking the bowl (and the food) away and not giving him more until the next day. Repeat as necessary, they can learn....a dog will not starve itself to death or die of dehydration before they learn to appreciate what you give them...
    I agree 100%. It sounds like a request for attention.

As for using food to get the results you want, I once had a young duck dog that would not get into a boat, so what I did is at feeding time is put the food dish in the boat. It did not take long before the dog would be sitting in the boat and hour before feeding time. He just loved that boat.

As said, they can learn.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    My husky LOVES to dump his water on hot days, or so it seems! I hate the fact that I have to water this dang dog alla time when it's hot because he's dumped his water. I have to pack water so it's pretty tedious that he dumps his water.

Anyone know why he does this? He'll do this with his dog food as well, & won't eat it after it's "touched" the ground. What gives?

our pup is 8 months old & empties her water out daily when hot but digs it all out , all ourt dogs have done this when young, not sure how old yours is.

Default My dog is...

three years old, & I now only give him maybe two cups of water at a time, no more no less...when I feed him.

Default Change the bowl system

I don't get on this site much. Thought I'd weigh in on the water dumping dog. If water is an issue, and important to have on hand for the dog, as in free drinking, then why not go to a stainless steel bucket and drive a post in the ground to attach it to?
    They can't chew stainless, and a couple of dog clasps or "U" bolts should do the trick to secure it.
    Or, put the bucket in a hole. If needed, cut a hole in a piece of plywood, lay it on the ground, and sink the bucket in to ground level. That way the dog can't dig the bucket out.

My malamute doesn't dump his water but he does pull the entire roll of toilet paper off the roll and eat half of it. I think I will deprive him of his toilet privileges for a day and see if that system works!