Thread: Bait station and wind direction

Default Bait station and wind direction

When setting up your bear site do you pay a lot of attention to wind direction in terms of where you set up your bait in relation to where your stand is and if so why.

Default YES

Yes I do, if 40 or 50 yards away, I've found it don't matter to much. If you are around 20, you better pay attetion.

Default dirty shirt

someone earlier this season on this forum gave the advice to tie an old sweaty t-shirt up by the bait or stand or both to get bears used to your scent......since this was my first year baiting i decided to try just about every thing once.....so one day after hiking in 4 or 5 loads of bread i switched shirts and tied the stinky one up by the bait at about chest level....that night three bears came in and the littlest one just loved that shirt...he was rubbing his face in it and even tried to rip it off the dead tree i tied it to....i left it there for the rest of the season and i seemed to see more more bears......that all being said i still wouldn't hang my stand directly upwind of my bait...i'd atleast set up crosswind .....i also do my honey/jello/anise burns directly from my stand
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris ANC View Post
    Yes I do, if 40 or 50 yards away, I've found it don't matter to much. If you are around 20, you better pay attetion.
    Which direction do you prefer to have the wind blow from.

In my face...

Question T-shirt & Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    someone earlier this season on this forum gave the advice to tie an old sweaty t-shirt up by the bait or stand or both to get bears used to your scent......since this was my first year baiting i decided to try just about every thing once.....so one day after hiking in 4 or 5 loads of bread i switched shirts and tied the stinky one up by the bait at about chest level....that night three bears came in and the littlest one just loved that shirt...he was rubbing his face in it and even tried to rip it off the dead tree i tied it to....i left it there for the rest of the season and i seemed to see more more bears......that all being said i still wouldn't hang my stand directly upwind of my bait...i'd atleast set up crosswind .....i also do my honey/jello/anise burns directly from my stand
    I like this idea, however, do you think it would serve a dual purpose like keeping unwanted Grizz away. The reason I ask is I had nothing but Grizz this year on the stand, never when I was there though (hence my scent), always when I was gone. I don't want it to have the opposite effect and they come in when I am there. Anybody tried it for this purpose? I guess trial & error is in order. I too do my burns directly from my stand as well as spray it with scent. Any thoughts?

Default nope

that night i put the shirt up...my girlfriend killed two black bears and everytime i went out after that i saw grizz......
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I also put a dirty used shirt of mine at my site, it seemed to work. Had alot of blackies come in! I should have thought more about wind direction though, I had a few blackies get spooked by my scent,but that seemed to only happen when I had a partner at the stand with me, a different scent to them. It worked to my advantage one night though, had a grizz come in, he sniffed my scent and RAN OFF. He was eating my bait and tearin up my site like no other, but after he scented me he never came back the whole season. But the blackies that I did scare off with my scent, they ended up coming into my bait after a few hours, they just couldn't stand not eating some grub.

I always leave an old shirt with my scent on it when I leave after baiting. It helps get them use to your sent and I have had some negative results when I had a partner use my stand when they were not use to the new scent.

And I change the shirt with a fresh one each time I bait because I read that an old bear can distinguish between sent that is 6 hours different in age. They did not get big by being stupid.

I also like to chew gum in my tree stand and to get them use to it I chew a few pieces while baiting and stick it to the tree so the bear does not know to stay away when he smells the sweet gum smell coming from my stand.

I also keep the meal before I hunt bland/plain (not spicy or heavy odor like onions, salami... ) because again when I am in the tree stand I don't want that smell on my breath.

I know this may sound odd but I make a habit of spitting while I am baiting and toughing trees and scrubs at the bait site, again to spead my scent arround.

Any scent that you will be introducing when hunting at your site should be introduced when you are baiting, like if you use bug spray you should spray a little on your stand, to again get the bear use too it, so they will not react negatively if they smell it for the first time when you are hunting them.

Just my two cents.

Default it matters

I also hang a shirt at the stand site and I spray some bug spray around and what not.

The bears at my stand were all coming in from the same area, and there were a lot of bears. Really cool to as they walk in the same tracks so over time the depressions where they stepped were very deep.

Anyway EVERY TIME I sat that stand and the wind was blowing from me to the trail they cam in on they would not commit to the final distance. We could hear the bears down below us, popping their teeth. On one night my stepson, myself and a friend waiting for a couple hours. The bears popped their teeth down below but WOULD NOT show up.
    Got to the point that if the wind was blowing that way when I was hunting, I would just leave. Kinda like hunting whitetails.

I also believe that the really big old boars are smarter than that. I think they can tell the difference from a shirt hanging there and a person being on site from the scent. I am sure that bears are killed every year with a bad wind blowing, but I have also convinced myself that if I am trying to kill a big old boars it is wise to hunt as scent free and quiet as possible.

Just an opinion though.