Thread: pistol price guestimates

Default pistol price guestimates

I recently inherrited two pistols and am just curious of their value. I never sell guns so these will be kept in the family.

One is an N frame smith and wesson in .38 caliber - - I shot about 20 rounds out of it. Not sure that it had been fired before that. I am guessing that the gun was purchased in the 70's.

The other is labeled .38 Colt and is in very good condition.

Any rough guesses on value?

Never seen a N frame marked 38cal. On the S&W alot depends on age,five screw,pinned barrel ect. On the 38 colt we would need to know who made it. If the Smith was new in the 70's it should be a mod 27 or 28 and 357mag but maybe miss stamped 38.It would probably have a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder which is good. Then barrel lenght comes into play as well as sights and whether or not it has target hammer,trigger and grips,blue or nickel,box and paper work ect. For a guess on the Smith with what I know $250. to $750. The other gun not a clue but from $25.wall hanger to $2,000 SAA

Default I know

I didn't have much to go on...actually there are 3 pistols

1) I don't have good info on yet on the smith...I was swaggin it with the N frame. I did shoot it, but that was about it.

2) .38 Colt, made in 1976, Colt Diamondback Special, CTG, 2" Snubnose, rubber grip, s/n=D81869, 6 shooter, 29K made that year. rough guess that this is between 700-900 in value.

3) Colt .25, made in 1973, s/n=OD106927, semi auto....rough guess is 350-450 in value.

I never sell my guns - just buy them :-) but it is good to know thier value a little.

If you have a Colt Diamondback, 38 Special in very nice condition it could well be worth over $1000. I don't know much about the 25 Auto, likely with the right buyer about $400.

The Early (pre 1982) S&W N frame revolvers had and "N" or later an "S" as a prefix to the serial number. The pre WWII guns were called the 38/44 heavy duty (fixed sights) or the 38-44 Outdoorsman (adjustable sights). These were made in limited quantities between WWII and 1957. After 1957 they were stamped inside the frame with a model number. Mod.27, Mod. 28, Mod, 29, etc The 27 & 28 were the only "N" frames with model numbers that shot 38 Special, and they were stamped "357 mag or 38 Spcl" On the barrel. All N Frame Smiths were pinned barrels before 1982 and the magnums were recessed cylinders to accept the rim of the cartridge. My 44 Specials are not recessed but are pinned. These would be dash one's (Mod.24-1) or dash two's (Mod.29-2) The Dash one has a screw in front of the trigger guard, the dash two does not, only the three screws holding the side plate on on the right side of the receiver. Very early guns had four in the plate and the front screw. (before they were stamped with model #'s)

I wonder why you would call it an N frame? Normally the 38 Special was made on the K frame and those are very nice, light weight, accurate guns. You did not mention a model number, that would be stamped inside the frame when you swing the cylinder out, at the front, below the forcing cone. Check that out for us. All guns of the 1970's will be stamped with a model number.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The little Colt was probably built by Astra for Colt.The Diamondback would most times be worth more as a 22lr but a very nice gun in 38 for sure and should be for 38special.Depending on shape,box and papers the 25 is most likely in two to three hundred range but you never know till the next prez get in

Default SW

The SW is s/n K574767 and it says SW .38 special CTG and Made in USA. I will ask them to check inside the cylinder for a model number.

Looking at SW website this may not even be a smith because it is not stamped with Smith and Wesson Springfield Mass or Houlton ME.

I will have to check to see if it is stamped with a model number.

Thanks for the info guys.

Sounds like the smith and wesson is probably a K frame. A picture would help if you can get one.

The information you give leaves a lot to the imagination and allows for fewer answers. Sounds to me like you're trolling. Please post some pics?
    Steve

Default I am not trolling....

I don't have the pistols in my posession. My father has one in Montana and my Brother has the other 2 in wyoming. I shot the one in MT when I was back for the 4th...we won't shoot the others. I was just curious...I really don't care what they are worth - as I won't be selling them. I buy guns but have never sold one....they look good in the safe and stashed around the house.