Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage shed suggestions

Default Storage shed suggestions

I'm building a 12x16 storage shed in my back yard. I have a 2" minus pit run pad (18'x24') in place, then I plan to use railroad ties around the perimeter for the foundation. finally, I'll backfill around the railroad ties a bit with f-chip and pack for the floor.

I'm planning on a gable roof 4-12 pitch with shingles and siding/T1-11/trim painted to match the house. A couple aluminum framed windows and large double doors in the front. Also plan to have a loft for boxes, etc...

Basically, any ideas or suggestions? Ever build a shed and wish you'd have done __________? I am planning on NOT wiring or insulating. This is merely storage. But I do want it to look sharp and be tough and functional.

Do you have a building permit?

Default As long as

the total cost of the build including labor is under $5K, I don't believe you need a permit(correct me if I'm wrong). Just make sure you're not puting it on an easment or over any utilities(in case of future problems and having to move it).

I don't know if you're planning to store atvs/snowmachines in your shed, but I went with a regular A-frame roof so that I could put double doors on the front and on one side of my shed. Now it is pull-through, allowing me to get my machines in and out without having to manually pull them around. It also lets me get stuff out of the back without having to move the stuff in front. Of course...I don't have those machines yet, but I was planning for the future.

T1-11 is expensive but a good idea. I kind of like metal roofs instead of 3-tab
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I assume the shingles are for architectural consistancy ie: matching existing structures. It sounds to me like you covered all the bases although I think you'll wish you had a clean flat floor.

I know it is the build it yourself forum but I just drove up paid a guy and he dropped the shed off a few hours later. I am very happy with it. I talked to my contractor FIL about it and he doubted that he could build it for much less.

Default I built a shed & wish I had...

a pad & some tin for roofing...I have a 8'x16' shed & am using the ubiquitous tarp for a rainstop...& I am using logs for the foundation.

Default Squirrels

Sounds silly I know, but when we built ours we left a 6" gap just under the roof sheeting between each truss, to let in daylight. I discovered this summer that it also lets in squirrels. So unless you want the place to smell like a rodent cage, you might think about some wire over any openings like that.

I second the floor idea. You'll probably wish you had one.

We built ours so it sits on pier blocks. We moved it over to our place from a rental we used to live in; just padded the corners and winched it right up on a tilt-bed car hauler. Pretty slick.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Wink

If you insist on building it without a floor, I suggest at least putting pit liner down. There is a lot of moisture that comes up from the ground. I much prefer a wooden floor, with good air circulation underneath, to eliminate wood rot.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

In Anchorage, anything over 120 sq. ft. requires a building permit . If you project is visible from the road, make sure and have things in order.

Also, West high school has sheds the students have built (WAY overbuilt...) for sale. PM me and I'll get the shop teachers information for you if you are interested. I think they have 2-3 left.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

As for windows, you might check with some glass co's to see if they have any vinyl frames that are oddballs or 2nds. I got a pair for the kids play house from Gator Glass for $40 (one 12wx36h and one 36x36).

Also, make sure your door is 48" wide or more. It makes storing the wheelers or snowmachine much easier!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks guys for your feedback! Sorry it's taken so long - a couple days after I posted this my wife went into labor, and now I'm a new dad!!

You're probably right on the floor - I just wanted to save a couple bucks and some time. I don't plan on turning it into a small wood shop or anything, so I figured gravel would be sufficient. Perhaps I can design it so I could add a floor later if I really wanted? 2x4's on 16" centers with 3/4" flooring on top...

Re: the Muni and permits - I used to try to go by the book, but THEY would always screw it up. I went it to get a permit to replace my water heater, and they screwed everything up. It was even in my neighbor's name! Never again for a stupid water heater - I can test pressure test my gasline! So I'm torn - I'll all for being legal, but the though of spending hundreds of dollars for a stupid yellow paper and an inspector for an extra 80 square feet of dry space is almost worth the risk. On rare occasions like this, I wish I lived in Sutton...or Eagle. And could shoot off my back deck with a .30-06.

The three tab is for consistency. I'm not worried about snow load - will probably even do 2x6 construction. And since I'll make sure all my vents (eves and gables) are screened to keep the squirrlies out. Good idea on the seconds on the windows, but I think I'm set there with aluminum framed windows from craigslist.

Default shed

Put a floor.If you go 2x4 go 12" on center.If you can extend the roof line then have a lean-to style of roof line on one side at least.It is a great storage place.

I purchased a stand alone shed and it is great. No code issues because it is on skids <grin> I am considering building a lean too style wings on it though so that I can get my firewood and sleds out of the weather. I have some yard work to do before that happens though as a new location will be in order...

I'll have to review the muni code again, but I would think that railroad ties could work as "skids"

And I think you guys have convinced me to put in a floor - thanks for the feedback!

Congrats on being a new dad SD. As for tips - do not store the child in the shed.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Thanks jmg! I'll make sure to keep her in the crawl space...

Default T1-11

Make sure you buy the primed T1-11 and not the unprimed. The primed T1-11 takes a lot less paint and it is nice and smooth, doesn't cost any more either. Congrats on the little girl!

You might look into Hardie Board siding. It's impervious to the elements. Don't know if it's used much up here though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast