Thread: Iliamna

Default Iliamna

Was wondering if anyone was going done to Iliamna fishing for reds this weekend. I'm thinking about flying down and dont know my way around down there and I remembered last year quite a few people went between the 10th and 20th. Please drop me a line, if anyone is up for the trip.

Terry

Default Iliamna for Reds

We would like to fly over also.
    However we are not familiar with the area.
    Or where to go for RED's.

Walt

You guys are killing me! That is certainly my favorite flight, and one of my favorite fishing spots...but I don't think I'll be able to pull it off this year.

rugers - The very basics are: Fly southwest from Anchorage to Lake Clark Pass. Once you hit Lake Clark, follow the south shoreline to Six Mile Lake, then to the Newhalen River. A few minutes downstream is Illiamna. Land and taxi to the transit parking. From just outside the gate you'll see a trail leading just over a mile west to the river. There are varied approaches to fishing here, but if you've ever fished the Kenai for reds you can figure it out. The limit is five, and for the next week or two that should be easy. Enjoy!

Default Join the flight

Terry
    I might be game to join you. I have no experience but I think we could figure it out. When do you want to go? Are you open to more aircraft joining the flight?

Drew
    Last edited by Toddler; 07-10-2009 at 10:51. Reason: spelling

I'm flying down Saturday with a buddy. I was down there last weekend on my way to Igiugig. Looks like a fairly well-groomed dirt road from transient parking down to the fishing hole. You can't miss it.

I'm thinking of fishing Igiugig again tomorrow, or do you all think Iliamna will have more fish?

I'm planning on leaving Merrill about 0730 - 0800 tomorrow morning. I'm flying a Cessna 140 (2432N) and cruise about 80 kts. If that's in your speed and departure time range, let me know and we can fly down together. If not, maybe I'll see you there!

Dave

Default iliamna

I might be game to go on Sunday if I can find a couple of people to share the costs. I was down there last monday and did ok. I will be driving a c-172, what do you guys drive?

My ride (the 140, not the float plane). Not much to look at, but she's solid.

Was down there yesterday, fishing not exceptional but you can pull out a limit if you put a little time and effort into it. I would love to hear a report from you guys after the weekend if you go. Hopfully it will pick up a little.

Default Going sunday now

Headed down Sunday now, weather was not that good so went to sportsmans and spent a couple hundred bucks. Plane is fueled and bags are packed. Leaving birchwood in the morning.

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Weather wasnt good this morning so my work got pushed back till tomorrow. I guess I wont be able to make it to Iliamna this weekend. Save a couple for me.

Its ok, when I asked if any of my friends wanted to come along they all jumped at it until I said that we would be sharing costs and then they all found something else to do. Funny how that works.

Default AK Hunter

This is what I have been driving for the last 22 years. Should not have painted it, cause now I don't want to go into sloppy roads and strips.

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Went down Saturday afternoon after the clouds lifted. Fishing still not exceptional, but not bad either. Fished from about 5 PM to 10 PM. My buddy and I got our limits but it took us that long.

Default Bright reds still there

Finally got a chance to get to go over yesterday and the fishing is still good but not great, in four hours we foul hooked 25, hooked eight and landed 6. Enough red samalon for me and my wife.